• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

A couple of questions

Jake0147

I'm just wondering about a couple of things.

There's two bolt holes just in front of the driver's door, I'm wondering what would have attached there. There are no matching ones on the passenger side.

There's two holes in the bumper, I'm also wondering what those might be for.

There's a data tag on the both sides of the drop side. What did it used to say?

Last question, Purely cosmetic. Side boards. I was torn between doing it this way, or going to go with a couple of 1X3 boards, like troop seat slat size. Kind of like a "what the army would have done if these would have been standard issue" kind of question. There's not a "right" answer, I just am looking for opinions.

Attachments

hndrsonj

Senior Chief/Moderator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
My M48 has those 2 holes for a mirror similar to a M37 mirror. What year is the duece?

Jake0147

Data tag says 1970. I havn't cleaned out a frame number, ignorance is bliss, cause if there's only one vin on the truck, then only one vin constitutes a proper vin inspection without carving up the undercoating, which for now looks very consistant and untouched around the area in question. I'm letting sleeping dogs lie and life will be simple and good....

Mirrors are definately there, but they don't show well in the pictures. I'll stick up another pics, then you'll recognize the mirror bracket in the first picture, it doubles as the windshield hinge pin bolt. I'm pretty sure that's the type that's been called "elephant ears", if somebody could validate or refute that, it'd make sure I'm taking several other posts correctly... There are no matches to these bolt holes on the other side of the truck, so I was not inclined to suspect another type of mirror bracket.

Attachments

hndrsonj

Senior Chief/Moderator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Not for west coast mirrors. Old style mirrors look like an old jeeps or M37's. (little round one). Was on older trucks only on the drivers side. Alot of changes over the years but they may not have updated tooling to get rid of the 2 holes, my guess.

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
On the passenger side the holes are lower and on the leg mount so it clears the leg. The wishbone looking mirrors mounted to the areas. IIRC all the cabs have these holes.

Pawnshop

The cargo slats look OK, though I suspect the Army would have used what they had on hand which would be the thinner troop seat slats, and they are backwards, they should be on the inside of the uprights facing the cargo (at least they are on my truck). My deuce is a 1970, I will check her for holes on the driver's side and report back.

bmH1065

The two holes on drivers side is where the mirror is mounted. The passanger side has it mounted on the round pipe on the front of the door on my 70 AG. It also has a hole on both sides of the bumber.

Jake0147

Re: RE: A couple of questions

Pawnshop said:
The cargo slats look OK, though I suspect the Army would have used what they had on hand which would be the thinner troop seat slats, and they are backwards, they should be on the inside of the uprights facing the cargo (at least they are on my truck). My deuce is a 1970, I will check her for holes on the driver's side and report back.
I suspect what they "would have used" would just be the troop seats. I dunno why this is driving me so crazy. All I'm trying to do is fix one thing- The tailgate being taller than the rest of the bed. I dunno why that even bothers me to be honest. You're right, they probably would have turned them inside out from what I did, I hadn't considered that, I just kinda did them the way my pickup was done which was for a practical reason. (Two tier loading with boards across the bed rails). I think you're thinking what I'm thinking, this wasn't the way to go. How foolish of a thing is this to get hung up on anyhow... :roll:

jimm1009 said:
Jake0147, and others.

Here are fours pics of my newly purchased M35A2C.
Thank you, that's better than the description I was hoping for. I kinda like those, I think I'm going to try to salvage these from under the paint.

hndrsonj said:
Here is a pic of the older style.
Cool, thanks. I guess I can see why those mirrors got updated. I have seen the mirrors but not in perspective to see just how small they are... Wow.

Recovry4x4 said:
On the passenger side the holes are lower and on the leg moun
I noticed those, but I figured they were to do with the gun ring leg. Not something that took my interest I guess, as that's not something that I care for on this truck, which is as likely to run to middlebury for grocery shopping as much as anything else. (Although if I were building a truck for showing purposes only, surely it'd be almost mandatory). Thanks, good info.

So, I just parked the truck properly in the newly expanded and filled up driveway. With a big head of course, admiring all the new work to the driveway and not paying much attention to anything else. all of a sudden man o man did that truck smoke and run like a slug. I about was ready to kick myself for wrecking a perfectly good engine with gas/diesel mix that I absolutely must have been misinformed of the proportions. Dang, what's an injector pump worth?!!?... Well, apparently you've got to un-bungee the coffee can even for short trips across the driveway.:roll: I'm ashamed to say that's the second time I've scared myself like that. Worst part is I had an audience for the whole thing...:oops:

To my understanding there were three mirror styles on the deuce.
The oldest mirror is a small round one on one strut as mentioned and pictured before.
The intermediate one where a single arm supporting the mirror was welded to the bolt of the front window mounting. Here you have some assmenblies with the arm alone like in the pictures above and some which have an additional strut to the lower door post (like on my deuce, see picture), probably to cut out vibrations.
The later one is the aforementioned west coast style mirror (why is it named like that, does anyone know?).
I would roughly say that the round mirror setup was fifties, the intermediate style sixties, and the west coast unit from the end-sixties and further on.

As for the holes on the driver side: I have them too on my deuce, maybe they are for special applications like search-lamps or such? Sometimes things are considered during planning and engineering and later never put into effect, but the production step is still kept.

Attachments

Flea

Jake0147 said:
There's two bolt holes just in front of the driver's door, I'm wondering what would have attached there. There are no matching ones on the passenger side.
As has been said, It's probably due to mirrors or the like. I'd imagine someone will figure it out for sure via the TM or something.

Jake0147 said:
There's two holes in the bumper, I'm also wondering what those might be for.
I've been wondering myself what they are for. Best I could come up with is perhaps they were used during manufacturing to center/mount the bumper?

Jake0147 said:
Last question, Purely cosmetic. Side boards. I was torn between doing it this way, or going to go with a couple of 1X3 boards, like troop seat slat size. Kind of like a "what the army would have done if these would have been standard issue" kind of question. There's not a "right" answer, I just am looking for opinions.
I think it looks great, and you've just inspired me to do something similar this weekend. In other words: "Looks good to me, boss!" 8)

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks