• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

A couple questions about lifting and single-cab conv.

LeadHead

I'm somewhat new to the forum and I just had a few questions that should get answered pretty quickly on here :driver: I did a forum search, so please dont flame me. This is for the M1009.

1. Lifting- I would like to throw on some 4 inch blocks in the rear, but I'm stuck with what to do with the front. I know there are kits that have a front suspension lift with blocks, but that would be 1/2 ton front leafs, right? I dont want 3/4 rears and 1/2 fronts. Anyone know how to get around that? What all other things would I need to lengthen or buy new ones? Is the driveshaft angle ok with a 4 incher?

2. Single Cab Conversion - I want to do a single cab conversion, or even better...a slantback. But most likely the single cab. I was wondering what the bed length would be from that step to the tailgate. I'm in the process of buying an M1009, so I cant go out and check.

Thanks a lot for any help. This forum has been very helpful and full of knowledge.

cucv1833

I'm somewhat new to the forum and I just had a few questions that should get answered pretty quickly on here :driver: I did a forum search, so please dont flame me. This is for the M1009.

1. Lifting- I would like to throw on some 4 inch blocks in the rear, but I'm stuck with what to do with the front. I know there are kits that have a front suspension lift with blocks, but that would be 1/2 ton front leafs, right? I dont want 3/4 rears and 1/2 fronts. Anyone know how to get around that? What all other things would I need to lengthen or buy new ones? Is the driveshaft angle ok with a 4 incher?

2. Single Cab Conversion - I want to do a single cab conversion, or even better...a slantback. But most likely the single cab. I was wondering what the bed length would be from that step to the tailgate. I'm in the process of buying an M1009, so I cant go out and check.

Thanks a lot for any help. This forum has been very helpful and full of knowledge.

Do a advance search on cucv slantback there was a thread on this a week ago i believe.

Also on the lift check out ORD this is probaly one of the best around
Offroad Design - Fullsize Chevy GM 4x4 Suspensions, Parts and Performance

Heres another website i just posted yesterday with alot of lift options and prices.
Chevy GMC Blazer, Jimmy, Suburban suspension lift kits

Do not put blocks up front.

I just put 3" leafs up front and 2.5" blocks in the rear. On my M1009. No drive shaft or drop pitarm changes on a 4" you may have to not sure.

Good luck

Last edited:

Warthog

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter

Here is one way of doing it. Project #62

http://www.roscommonequipmentcenter.com/projects/rec62.pdf

Roscommon Equipment Center

I doubt a pickup cab and bed would fit on the frame. But anything is possible with enough time and money $$$$.

Attachments

niferous

I also would not do blocks up front. Truth be told I'm not that big of a fan of blocks on the rear axle either. On some vehicles it is needed though for so much lift.

My Dodge 2500 4X4 is a good example of a truck that would just ride too rough with a solid spring pack on the rear.

EF-5

Like was said earlier, no blocks in the front. ORD is awesome! If you decide not to blocks in the rear you can do a rear shackle flip. It's a little pricey, but let's you retain your load capacity. And from what I understand NO drive shaft mod/ transfer case mod is needed. A lot of people do crossover steering as well. That get's a little pricey as well, but just an option :D. I also think the slant back looks awesome, if you decide to go that route.

Anyway, just do your research and when you make up your mind go for it. Everyone runs into glitches in their projects, but don't let it discourage you. Last, but not least, TAKE PICTURES!

LeadHead

Thanks everyone!

Here is one way of doing it. Project #62

http://www.roscommonequipmentcenter.com/projects/rec62.pdf

Roscommon Equipment Center

I doubt a pickup cab and bed would fit on the frame. But anything is possible with enough time and money $$$$.
Thanks! I read that awhile ago. I want to try and fab it myself in my Motorsports class, or even a slant back. I'll probably revert to using those specs though.

Anybody know what the bed length would be? I'm guessing 5ft?

Like was said earlier, no blocks in the front. ORD is awesome! If you decide not to blocks in the rear you can do a rear shackle flip. It's a little pricey, but let's you retain your load capacity. And from what I understand NO drive shaft mod/ transfer case mod is needed. A lot of people do crossover steering as well. That get's a little pricey as well, but just an option :D. I also think the slant back looks awesome, if you decide to go that route.

Anyway, just do your research and when you make up your mind go for it. Everyone runs into glitches in their projects, but don't let it discourage you. Last, but not least, TAKE PICTURES!

Thanks! So, even if I put blocks on the rear, that will reduce payload capacity?

Will do! I cant wait to get the CUCV. Just need to sell my 79 Chevy K10.

Warthog

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks