• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

A deuce tent

Valence

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Not to hijack your thread but what can I use to insulate my cargo cover? I'm wondering if refletex between the cover and bows will work.
You know, that's a great question, but I don't know what refletex is. Perhaps some local companies that make like boat or camper covers would have suggestions?

I've honestly thought about taking two one-piece covers to a local place and asking them to quilt some form of insulation to the outside of the first and, if needed, lengthening the other cover to fit over top, and then just lash both covers down at the same time, the outer one over top of the other with the insulation.

Last edited:

Valence

Steel Soldiers Supporter
How did it your plan work out?
Unfortunately it remains untested. You'd think I'd be more on top of it to get out there and test fit the new end curtain. I was actually waiting until I had the deuce put back together from another project (that's been delayed for various reasons) so I could pull the truck out of the garage and have quality pictures, instead of bad light and worse angles crammed in the back of my garage.

I'm still eager to do so, it should be soon(tm)!

Guyfang

Staff member
Agreed! Obviously the simplest option is just as you said, tailgate up, rear flap down. My project is to address the three issues I had with that approach:

1. The difficulty of climbing in/out of the bed with the tailgate up
  2. Not really able to secure the rear flap once inside if the wind comes up, and it can be quite windy here (the other option would be to only unsecure one side of the end flap to climb in/out, but see #1
  3. No where to leave dirty/muddy gear

While giving me more cover outside the truck and ability to leave dirty gear outside too.
We made a ladder that hooked onto the tailgate, and had a brace in the middle, on the bottom. The brace had a "Foot" that went into the towing pintle. You closed the pintle, and it was sturdy, non movable and quick to remove. Some dirty, low down, rat, SO*, rotten craphead stole it outside of Stuttgart, on REFORGER, during the 70's. I could still take revenge. If I can find a picture, I will post it. Simple and easy. I made several more over the years. Worth the time and effort.

rustystud

We made a ladder that hooked onto the tailgate, and had a brace in the middle, on the bottom. The brace had a "Foot" that went into the towing pintle. You closed the pintle, and it was sturdy, non movable and quick to remove. Some dirty, low down, rat, SO*, rotten craphead stole it outside of Stuttgart, on REFORGER, during the 70's. I could still take revenge. If I can find a picture, I will post it. Simple and easy. I made several more over the years. Worth the time and effort.
All I can say is it wasn't me ! I know Marines have a "reputation" for "repurposing" other branches property, but this time I wasn't there !

rosco

Steel Soldiers Supporter
DSCN0007.jpgDSCN0005.jpgI've done my share of tent camping - both in mobile tents, but in a M101A2 (my idea of a camper), & white wall tents, As for heat where you had room as in a Deuce, have a Tent & Awning Co. sew in one of those heat proof stove pipe holes. They even come with a rain proof cover, when not in use. Those little GI multi-purpose stoves, I use wood, will run you out at -50*F. Of course, when the fire goes out - well that's camping. Another aspect that hasn't been commented on, at least in this thread, are dirt roads. I've seen a half mile, on certain dirt roads, leak in an even 1/2" of dust, deposited evenly over every nook & cranny.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks