• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

A few deuce questions before purchase

randyscycle

Hi All,

I am looking to purchase a deuce in the near future and just saving the cash to do so right now.

I'm kinda partial to the M35A2, but not too picky if the price is right, which brings me to my question: I know there are a million variables, so I just want a ballpark on what one would expect to pay for a running/mobile deuce? Cosmetically I don't care at this point, just something that is all there and not totally trashed with a title. Needing brakes, canvas, usual repairs is OK as well. I have the time for that.

I am looking to purchase most likely from an individual, not the auction route.

Again I know its a general question, but before I go and pay far too much for something I may be able to get for a decent price, I'd like a little experienced input.

Thanks in advance!

chuck500cc

Try to find one that has been driven to the lot. My next one will have winch, heater, hardtop. Preview, preview, preview. There is a lot of good info on the site. I learned a lot on the site that made my screening of my truck easier.

Chuck XD Fan

Capt.Marion

From an individual, I'd say 3-5k would get you a good condition deuce that you could most certainly drive home. 5k or so would probably get you a winch truck. 3k'd bring probably a pretty nice truck, maybe in need of some cosmetic work, w/o winch, but a good truck nonetheless.

randyscycle

Re: RE: A few deuce questions before purchase

Capt.Marion said:
From an individual, I'd say 3-5k would get you a good condition deuce that you could most certainly drive home. 5k or so would probably get you a winch truck. 3k'd bring probably a pretty nice truck, maybe in need of some cosmetic work, w/o winch, but a good truck nonetheless.
Thanks, that was kinda' what I was looking for. I know that there are so many factors that can affect the value of any vehicle and of course ultimately its only worth what someone is willing to pay....I have seen a few in that range and figured that was sort of the area I was looking in, but didn't want to buy one only to find another the following week for less.

I just find my 715 is getting lonely all by itself and needs 2.5 tons of companionship :D

aboonski

Thinking about selling my M35A2C

When I bought my deuce I was fortunate enough to have bought it from a guy who lived five miles from my house here in West Melbourne Florida; at that point I paid $7500.00 for the truck which is a 1968 M35A2C with winch & hardtop. All of the tires were worn to the point of replacement so I bought 10each 9:00 x 20 ND tires from the owner of an Army/Navy store in Cocoa Florida for $65.00 each. Having them mounted cost $50.00 each at a local truck tire facility. I found a brand new canvas cargo cover on Ebay and paid over $550.00 for it plus shipping on top of that - very expensive! Before installing the cargo cover I bought brand new bows and corners for the bed from a guy in Hesperia California - very expensive purchase with the shipping - well over $200.00 if I remember correctly. The puny batteries that were in the truck were inferior and I was lucky to be able to crank the truck so I bought two new Interestate 6TL batteries for $300.00 plus tax. To maintain the batteries I installed a Solargizer which I paid over $100.00 for on Ebay. I also decided to add convoy lights which ran another $350.00 and made a special mount for my solargizer that attaches to the rotating light platform - works great. I bought a used plastic battery box because the metal one was too far gone to fix; the same person I bought the box from was parting out a deuce over in Haines City so I bought lots of stuff from him for my truck and made three trips over to pick everything up. He sold me an Air-O-Matic power steering system for $250.00 which I had to repair with the purchase of a new O-ring and rubber boot - $75.00 there. Before even buying my truck I bid on and won two Garwood winches from a GL auction and drove to Homestead AFB to fetch them. I paid $800.00 for those; I recently traded one of the winches for a 'C' turbo to replace the 'D' unit on my truck which really put the finishing touches on my deuce. I also bought two NOS doors, new door glass and new windshields which I still need to install along with a new air pack and two new knuckle boots. I didn't even touch on the technical books and CDs that I bought for reference - then there are the two M105A2 trailers out in the back yard.... On and on and on...... Anyway, I would hate to see what one of the members would value my truck at because I doubt if I would sell is as cheap as they would want it for. When you do find a nice truck, or one such as I started out with, plan on having well over $14,000.00 in it to get it where you are finally satisfied that you have a fully fuctional deuce with all the bells and whistles. You can bid on and buy a nice truck on GovLiquidation but that wait for the title is a bear! Get to know other SS members in your area that would assist you to retrieve your vehicle once the End Use Certificate comes back and your loadout date is set. Best of luck shopping around for your first deuce! You can see my truck in operation on You Tube under the user name of ABOONSKI Al Broadbent abroadbent@bellsouth.net

Barrman

RE: Re: RE: A few deuce questions before purchase

Hey Randy,
You will see a lot of familiar faces around here.

Here are a few of the "options" you have to choose from. I think you know this, but figured maybe you don't:

dropside bed: Can be very good for loading with a fork lift or hauling hay around. Different troop seat legs, top uprights and header rack I believe. So, if you find one without all the other stuff on it, you are kind of putting yourself in a hole. But, people are always looking to buy dropside beds so it adds value whether you use its features or not.

Air shift t-case. Somewhere in the late 1960's-early 1970's, the M35's went from all overrunning clutch or "sprag" t-cases to the air shift version. An airshift case lets you take advantage of lockout hubs on the front for better road milage and such. It also lets you decide when the front axle is engaged. The "sprag" case decides for you and lockout hubs will just make the case "think' it needs to engage the front drive shaft all the time. When properly adjusted, the "sprag" case makes off road driving a no brainer. But, you really shouldn't flat tow a "sprag" no matter what the manuals say unless you pull at least one front hub plate off.

Hardtop: Just like with the M715, true factory hard tops are hard to find and cost a bunch. Figure $1000 for one based on prices here and E-Bay recently. The soft top has rear bows with the window upper channel included. Later trucks had 3 or 4 or 5 runners that went from the windshield back to the rear bow. They really help keep the slack out of the top. Finding a truck with just the rear bow will have your top collecting water and really sagging.

Winch: figure another $1000 for a winch, frame extentions, pto, shaft and cable if you are patient. Otherwise it can go up fast.

Engines: gas I-6, diesel I-6 non turbo, multifuel I-6 non turbo, multifuel I-6 turbo, bigger mutlifuel I-6 turbo, same engine different turbo I think are all the different engines offered up to the A3 model. You won't find an A3 for the money you are looking at.

Transmissions: Theoretically, all gas trucks have the 3052 5 speed direct drive 5th and all diesel/multifuel trucks should have the 3053A over drive 5th. They look the same on the outside. The OD has 3rd and 4th next to each other with 5th toward the speedo. The direct drive has 5th next to the seat. You will find diesel trucks with the direct drive transmission data plate in them. Drive it to see.

There are a lot of trucks out there that started out as one thing and were then converted by the military to something else. Be picky and patient. Ask lots of questions. Good luck.

jwaller

try and find a "C" model. they have dual circuit brake systems and are much safer.

clinto

Moderator, wonderful human being & practicing Deuc
Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Supporting Vendor

The Air Force Dueces (1986 or so to 1989) had the dual circuit system.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks