• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

A few hundred bucks, a few hours work and Walla! G177s!

91W350

Okay, the title says most of it. We had a huge surplus of G177s and I had some tired tires on a deuce. Now the surplus is eleven less and the deuce has new shoes. Those center pivot bolts are close! It drives and steers great, I thought I would notice a big power loss, but not as bad as I thought, but then I have not tried to tow another deuce...... It still looks puny next to that M923. Glen

Attachments

91W350

Putting them on a deuce? They are about 80 pounds heavier than a Titan 900. Tire and wheels with tube and flap weigh 240 pounds. No rubbing issues on mine, but that is a huge increase in rotating mass. They are very hard rubber and bad about chunking the tread in rocks. We are running a set on our International day cab and another set on a Freightliner. Tough and heavy duty with good bite.

Yes, I'm picking a new to me deuce up tomorrow (and the tires are from another member near the same area). The stock tires are pretty well worn out on it. I figure I'll put the G177s aside while I run the stock tires out around town for a month or so... I have to save a few hundred to have them switched since I don't have the equipment (or stones) to mess around with split-rims. :)

What does it mean: 'chunking the tread in rocks'??

Any experience off-road or in mud with them? The look to have a lot of bite, but don't look like they self-clean very well.

wsucougarx

Means rocks really like getting stuck in the tread. My son and daughter spend an hour picking the rocks out of my G177's. They had a ton of fun. Forget Disneyland, I'll just run my 923 through some nice river rock and they'll be set;-)

91W350

The tread is too hard, it breaks chunks out instead of flexing or cutting. Lots of the ones in the yard and my front ones are missing chunks. They clean as well as the Michelins.

michigandon

Sure wish there was a surplus of G177s around here!

Did you have to change the front axle caster on your truck like many others here have done after going to these tires?

91W350

No Don, but then, I drive my deuces pretty slow. They never see anything over 2200 and generally not over 2000. I was surprised at how easy it does turn though. I had a mixed set of Michelins and 177s on my 68 until we got some more Michelins in. That gave me an excellent showing of how the two clean out and work side by side. These G177s clean out mud pretty well, but they hang onto fist fulls of gravel.

lawdog1623

Oh dear lord i dread buying tires for mine. Yours looks great. I have been kicking around tge idea of getting a 5t. That picture puts it in perspective. Good work. :)

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks