• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

A few more add-ons for a super sweet ride.

rdixiemiller

Dudes
Call your friendly neighborhood commercial electrician. He should have a set of Greenlee punches that go up to 4". Makes nice round holes in sheetmetal a whole lot easier than with a holesaw. The only problem is that the punches only come in certain sizes. You might end up with a holesaw for the odd ones.
A handy tip: Holesaws cut metal much smoother with some teflon pipe dope smeared on the teeth. Cover the whole area you are going to put the hole through with masking tape, then apply some pipe dope and cut slowly. Reduces grabbing and chatter. The tape makes clean up easier. This really works well for aluminum, which is "grabby". It also keeps your hole saw in good shape when cutting through stainless.

Desert Rat

Robert,
I like that idea. Never thought of it before. I knew the tape trick, but pipe dope is a good idea too!

rdixiemiller

Pipe dope is handy on vertical surfaces, doesn't drip off. Oil is best for horizontals. I have run a holesaw through 3/4" plate with a mag drill. I made a dam around the area I was cutting the hole with some silicone caulk. Drilled the pilot hole almost all the way through the plate, then adjusted the pilot drill to where it only stuck out 1/8". Put a few tablespoons of Mitee threading oil (high sulfur) in the dam, and started drilling. Took less than 10 minutes to punch a 3" hole in a piece of plate. Start with a new holesaw if you are trying this stunt.

Desert Rat

Dang Kenny! I'll just sit back and take the pics. and let you field the questions! Heck, your my PR man for free! I can handle that! Once again Kenny's correct. That's and ether start installed by the military using a standard civy bottle. It was a variant to the military bottle that mounted under the hood, not the firewall. My truck was also equipped with the hood mounted version before this was done.

I wonder if Kenny secretly snuck up here, drove my truck a bit, then returned to FL. Hmmmm...............

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I'm an astute viewer. Sometimes I see things in pics others don't. I'm also somewhat familiar with deuces but I have to say that I've never seen the aluminuim troop seats before. I will be going through the stack of them at Wayne Harris' place next time I'm there to see if any of his are aluminum. Ether start kits are cool. I've had a few but traded them to the guys up north since it's not much needed here.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks