• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

A few pics from lastnight's snow job

CDN-CUCV

A couple friends and I planned to climb the 'Red Pillar' mountain in Strathcona Park, on Vancouver Island, B.C. lastnight. Plan was to drive into the park to the lakehead at Deep Lake then canoe to the trailhead(more like a route) then climb The Red Pillar.

Well, the snow proved too deep and we reached within a few miles of the lake. I snapped a front stub axle as well as its universal. Without 4 wheel, it became clear we weren't movin' any further.

Here are a few pics with My '85 M1009 and my friend Daves' '86 Jeep XJ factory diesel.

Attachments

Keith_J

Some heavy, thick snow there. With a slippery mud base too.

How did you snap the axle? Turning under power? Love to see the photos of that.

DieselBob

We are suppose to get 16 ~ 20 inches of snow Friday night into Saturday. Wooo Hooo. :jumpin: Now I get to have some fun in the snow with the deuce.

CDN-CUCV

Some heavy, thick snow there. With a slippery mud base too.

How did you snap the axle? Turning under power? Love to see the photos of that.
With over one hundred cycles of shifting from forward to reverse with gains of about 4-6 ft. each time, that lil' 10 bolt had to give sometime. I didn't take any pics of the axle and universal, but I picked up the trail of bits I had left behind.

It hadn't snowed in some time up there and the snow was packed hard, granular and slippery from weeks of rain. Having some good chains really helped and kicking up the gravel added friction too, but still, a brutally slow slog. This was our second attempt and the third should be a charm (providing it doesn't dump snow in the next week*fingers crossed*)

combatmech

Hey CDN, where did you get your roof-rack?? It snowed down here last weekend, didnt get to play due to a very sick truck. Just when I really needed 4wd....My little GTO does not like the snow/ice. Great pics, looks like tons of fun!!

CDN-CUCV

We haven't had any snow either. This is at elevation, in a mountain range. Mild year for sure! Snow is even being trucked in from hundreds of miles away to olympic venues in Vancouver not too far from me.

TyJustice

Nice work!

Since you will have a little time in the shop fixing the rig, Fab me up one of those roof racks please. I'll send the shipping address shortly!

CDN-CUCV

Hey CDN, where did you get your roof-rack?? It snowed down here last weekend, didnt get to play due to a very sick truck. Just when I really needed 4wd....My little GTO does not like the snow/ice. Great pics, looks like tons of fun!!
I got the roof rack off a free classifieds add. There's a thread on here that shows the before shot of my rack and then I welded, sanded and painted it into what I have now. I couldn't fab one for as cheap as I got this one and it's steel, which I prefer.

Yeah, it was tons of fun. Fixing my truck today and we're going to try again Sunday.