• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

A few questions about speed and gearing

OPCOM

Steel Soldiers Supporter
besides tires, which is at this point :deadhorse:

1.) I saw a chevy 454 attached to am M35 transmission, and that has certainly been done before. A member here had a 383 attached to one. That will take care of the speed. 83MPH at 4000RPM, 70@3370. It ought to have the torque to do it as well.

2.) M-35Tom here has offered a set of gears for the M35 transmission to increase the speed. Read this entire thread: http://www.steelsoldiers.com/deuce-modification-hot-rodding/14728-overdrive-gears-available-soon.html
This is well engineered, with, well.. a lot of engineering behind it, and that is what I would do, if I had an M35 and wanted more speed. It's what the old tyme hackers would have called "doing the right thing"

3. For mud, watch your axles, you can break them. The stock transmission is also barely rated for the 300 FT Lbs of the deuce engine.

I have a 5-ton and am not worried about the speed at this time, although I will be, and I could see several deuce-applicable options there too, such as:
'custom' differential gears,
custom transmission gears,
an aux trans behind the T-case (disengage the fronts),
losing the t-case and putting a compound trans. in.

None of this is cheap, but if there were a well engineered option, it would be worth a few $K in parts and labor to get the redline from 53MPH to 75. Even so, it would not be driven 75, (only crazy deuce drivers run redline) but at 65, the engine would be very happy at 1820RPM.

Whatever you do, post up with your project! If possible, keep appending to this thread even if a long time goes by between your updates.

Last edited:

Bob H

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I'm not worried about top speed.( I bielive I said that already) I want to spin tires faster In first and second gear
the multi is a 1200 to 2500 rpm motor with 140 hp
sure a set of 4.9 gears will rotate the tires faster in first and second.
No matter how far your turn the fuel up you won't achieve the HP needed to do it, especially with 395's

leave the gearing alone, drop in a big block chevy* with about 500+ lbs of torque, at that it will have plenty of HP to get the job done with a 1500 to 4500 rpm power band.
once you have done that you can consider 1st gear a creeper gear, and use 2nd & 3rd.
Oh and carry spare u-joints with ya.

*or a 500 Caddy

Last edited:

deuce_09

So basically a deuce won't do any good in the mud unless you swap the motor?

The multi fuel was to me the best feature of a deuce.I'd hate to get rid of it.there's no way to get the proper amount of torque to turn let's say 50" tires?

Last edited:

TexAndy

So basically a deuce won't do any good in the mud unless you swap the motor?

The multi fuel was to me the best feature of a deuce.I'd hate to get rid of it.there's no way to get the proper amount of torque to turn let's say 50" tires?

Then you've got to worry about producing too much torque for various components in a stock deuce. Like the transmission itself. Or the spline ends of your axles. Or U-joints. etc...

50" tires probably won't fit on a deuce, anyways. Not a stock 6x6 one, anyways.

KsM715

Turn them, sure, but your not gonna sling mud off a 50" big tire with a stock deuce motor. Turned up fuel or not.

500 caddy is a 500 cubic inch cadilac motor.

Josh

I has my deuce in a mud bog over the weekend, even with the stock NDTS the engine couldnt turn em in 4th lo. Dunno how well the truck would turn46s or 49s.

deuce_09

500 vs 454: I read a thread that said the caddy 500 is lighter and can produce up to 800HP.
But the 454 has more options. But where to find one?? I can get a 454. That's not too hard.

it seems easier (compared to a deuce)to just get an m1008 or m1028 and swap a 454 and some 46's?

Last edited:

UpstateNYer

I would ask a few people that own trucks with 395"s on them how fast do they drive. I have not checked with gps, but i would bet that my truck at 2100 rpms is turning 60-62 mph. I for one do not feel comfortable driving the truck much faster than that. Don't get me wrong, I regularly drove my K3500 with 42" tires on it at 75-80 on the highway, but not in my deuce. I just don't think my future, or my families, or the hobby itself for that matter needs someone getting severly hurt or worse in the name of having a really faster 13k pound chunk of steel. Do the tires first, you will see that it is plenty.

gimpyrobb

dumpsterlandingfromorbit!
Upstate, are you saying a stock truck(900r20s) travels 60-ish at 2100rpm? My deuce with 395s travels 62.5 at 2500rpm.

UpstateNYer

Upstate, are you saying a stock truck(900r20s) travels 60-ish at 2100rpm? My deuce with 395s travels 62.5 at 2500rpm.
No not 900r20s, sorry the 395 XZL's the truck in my avatar has on it. 60-62 is just a guess based on traffic. I have not installed my new speedo adapter yet, and can't manage to keep the gps stuck to the window.

Last edited:

gimpyrobb

No not 900r20s, sorry the 395 XZL's the truck in my avatar has on it. 60-62 is just a guess based on traffic. I have not installed my new speedo adapter yet, and can't manage to keep the gps stuck to the window.
Hock a loogie on there! Mine is gps verified. hehe

I can't get a reading on my new 395s as my tach died.

:mrgreen:

gimpyrobb

my old deauce with 11:00's would do ..at 2900 RPM hmm how fast did I pass the East Cost convoy back in 2007?

We had to slow down and wait for you. I was even driving my slow azz M109. You must have had a non-O/D trans in that thing.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks