• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

A few questions for my new soon project

SteelNinja

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Well Gents , years ago I have a deuce and ended up selling it . Ive found another and I hope to bring it home next week .. I'll be driving thru central KY to TN .I'll post before traveling in case I break down - maybe I could get some verbal help.. But its only 4-5 hours,less than 400 miles . I think all should be fine.. I drove 1 from PA to TN only stopping to rest once. It was enjoyable..:)
Im getting the deuce for work to use a couple of days a week, and I'd like to do a few easy things asap.. My questions.. Has anyone ( Im sure they have) any ideas on installing bucket seats? any year easier than another? didja use the factory deuce frame?
also My deuce doesn't have a winch ( rrrrrr) so I'll get an electric one - where do I get the ( or what does it take ) to extend the bumper like one with the winch? I like the bumper out anyway to add some distance between the bumper and the grill and it makes it easier to stand on when the hood it is.
question: I'd like to put a stereo and amp - what do you suggest? pull off 1 battery? install a 12 to 24v converter? expensive? Plus if I have a 12-volt winch I may need a big converter or whats your opinion. PS I also would like a good backup camera - Im getting old and hate backing up without full view.LOL
question: what kind of LEDs are available for the headlamps? Does anything special have to be done to install? Thanks guys , I appreciate ya

Bhussey

Well Gents , years ago I have a deuce and ended up selling it . Ive found another and I hope to bring it home next week .. I'll be driving thru central KY to TN .I'll post before traveling in case I break down - maybe I could get some verbal help.. But its only 4-5 hours,less than 400 miles . I think all should be fine.. I drove 1 from PA to TN only stopping to rest once. It was enjoyable..:)
Im getting the deuce for work to use a couple of days a week, and I'd like to do a few easy things asap.. My questions.. Has anyone ( Im sure they have) any ideas on installing bucket seats? any year easier than another? didja use the factory deuce frame?
also My deuce doesn't have a winch ( rrrrrr) so I'll get an electric one - where do I get the ( or what does it take ) to extend the bumper like one with the winch? I like the bumper out anyway to add some distance between the bumper and the grill and it makes it easier to stand on when the hood it is.
question: I'd like to put a stereo and amp - what do you suggest? pull off 1 battery? install a 12 to 24v converter? expensive? Plus if I have a 12-volt winch I may need a big converter or whats your opinion. PS I also would like a good backup camera - Im getting old and hate backing up without full view.LOL
question: what kind of LEDs are available for the headlamps? Does anything special have to be done to install? Thanks guys , I appreciate ya
Personally for a stereo I would consider a wet sounds sound bar. I would look at a 24v winch vs 12v just due to the amp draw. Other option would be a third 12v battery with an isolator just for winch/accessory operation.

There are headlamp adapter harnesses for modern 7inch led headlights. That is the route I plan to take.

ToddJK

I can tell yeah, which ever route you plan to take, it'll be expensive.
I wouldn't even consider a 24v-12v power inverter unless it's to run a small accessory like fog lights or off road lights. Winches draw too much juice for those and could cause them to burn out or even a fire. If using an electric winch, Warn has a 24v electric winch and one of them is 18k lb rates if I'm not mistaken.

If you plan to run cameras and other 12v accessories, I would use a third battery just for that. I've seen guys add a regular 12v alternator, whichever you choose, have a custom bracket to mount it and run it off the air compressor belt or off the two belts for the generator and the water pump. This 12v alternator will only run to the one battery to run these 12v accessories. The alternator option is more expensive after all the parts and the extra battery, but it's a safer and more durable option in the long run, especially if you choose to run these 12v accessories often. The power inverter will be the cheaper and easier route to take, but I wouldn't run too much off of one let alone a winch. My 10k lbs winch on my pickup dims my lights considerably when using and most accessories like the heat or ac and the fan and the radio is off.
Also, I've seen those bumper extension brackets before at some of the surplus retailers like eastern surplus ect, but it's been a while so I can't say how much they are. I'd also keep an eye out for someone on here posting in the classifieds on parts trucks as they might have some to pull off or sitting around.

This is just my 2 cents, but I hope it just helps with future ideas you plan to do and help everyone be safer as well.

rustystud

Here's how I did my electric winch on the Deuce.
https://www.steelsoldiers.com/threads/winch-and-bumper-project.150233/#post-1829453

ldmack3

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I'm personally not a fan of running things at 12 volts if avoidable. There are 24-volt cameras as I am getting close to pulling the trigger on one this summer.
I put in a backup horn with a manual switch but who knows how some people are!

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks