• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

A few questions from a newer owner

unstopable

As a newer owner of a '71 AMGEN multi-fuel I have a few questions that are probably pretty basic for the rest of you, but here goes.
First off, I need to find (or have made up) a tach cable and cable casing. Mine has been busted since purchase. Any idea what website or SE Wisconsin shop where I could get one?

I also need the basic filters, Fuel (currently Baldwin pf902) and oil filters. I have a spent oil filter but no numbers. I might as well get any air filter elements I need right away also.
Ideas on where to locate these????

I would also like to know how much a complete set up for a cargo cover would run, at this point I have no setup for cargo cover, and was wondering if I can afford to put one on.

I appreciate all of the advice you guys post and thanks for your help!!!

littlebob

Memphis Equipment has a complete filter set for about $100.00 including fuel filters and gaskets.If your truck has had any upgrades let them now , when I ordered mine and they sent the wrong air cleaner because I didn't give them enough information. there is also a cross reference onthis site with NAPA part numbers. There are probably a dozen surplus dealers that you can find by doing a search on this site of the various threads. I haven't made it to the bed cover
yet. You can probably find it all on E-Bay if you have the time to.
Good Luck,
littlebob

lacoda56

Cargo covers with bows seem to run about $500 for canvas. This may or may not include end curtains, depending on seller. I'm not sure about the price of vinyl, but it seems to be cheaper. If you don't mind a small roadtrip, there's a guy in Wyocena, Wis. that has a few trucks he's parting out. If interested, send me a PM and I'll see if I can find his number for you.

houdel

Do you have troop seats? The uprights, corners and bows for the cargo cover all fit into stake pockets in the troop seats.

Watch Ebay for the uprights, corners, bows and covers. Good used Vinyl 3 color camo covers run in the $250-$350 range and are one piece so you don't need the end canvas.

unstopable

Wow, you guys RULE !!!!! Thanks for the great links and information. As far as the bows and the cargo cover, I will probably not have the $$$ til spring. I just wanted to know what I am up against. The price does not sound too bad.
Yes Lee, I do have troop seats in the back, I will have to look to see how the uprights would fit in there.

Once again, Thanks you guys!!!

wallew

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Unstoppable, WELCOME to Steel Soldiers. If these guys don't know the answer, they know WHERE to get the answer.

For your troop seats, they physically drop into your bed via 'stake' (square) holes. The inside of the troop seat stakes are hollow, which is where the top down stakes drop into. The curved metal part of the top attach to these with the bow (top) portion of the tops being next, then down the other side it's curved metal portion attaching to the down stake.

That gives you ONE completed top bow assembly. Repeat as necessary. I think there are a total of six (five?). I can't remember. I'm a bit slow today.

Again welcome to Steel Soldiers.

jim

houdel

Five sets of bows on a Deuce. At least, that's what mine has. I think long beds and 5 tons use six sets.

Hookin1

There is a guy....I think in n.carolina that sells duece beds complete with troopseats bows and covers for 400 or 500 dollars he advertizes in one of the mv magazines....i'll have to look and find out

clinto

Moderator, wonderful human being & practicing Deuc
Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Supporting Vendor
I have my bows and canvas on, if you want I will snap some pics of how it all goes together.

WillWagner

The Person You Were Warned About As A Child
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
When you post, click on the preview button, go to the section, "add an attachment" then click on "browse" under the "filename" section, and look for the place where you keep your pictures. Pictures can only be 640x480. If you're using XP, right click on the pic and you'll get an option to resize.

unstopable

Once again, thanks guys. The pics I have are not the greatest because I have put the truck away for the winter. In order to fit it into my barn I have to take the top off, lower the windsheild and remove the stack. In spring I will put some lighter oil in i and then maybe I will run it next winter. I am running straight 30 in it now and she is a cold blooded monster.

As far as the canvas and bow system for the cargo area, I think I am going to have to wait til spring since I don't have the extra "ching" right now.

I am sure you wil see more questions from me in the near future.

Thanks again!

Attachments