• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

A few stereo install issues

ChevyFan1207

Recently, we hooked up a stereo in my M1009. It's been pretty cheap. Considering I use it mainly in the woods, I didn't want to do anything big. I got everything work and powered up and I noticed a few things:

There is a loud electric noise that comes through the speakers as the truck accelerates. One of my friends says it's the ground.

The stereo flickers when I first start it up, like it is struggling for power. Should I just wire it to the battery, and if so, does it matter which one?

And finally, I use an iPod mainly, and I have an aux port on the stereo. I noticed that some songs, you can hardly hear the main vocals, but the instruments and back up vocals come in clear as a bell. None of my friends have any idea what's causing that.

Any input would be greatly appreciated.

*Disclaimer: I am a bit of a novice at these things, so bare with me if I sound stupid.

notsosanestan

where did u connect the power for the stereo? you would have to connect it to the front battery and put a inline fuse and switch or else it would be on all the time. the electric noise probably is the ground where did u connect the ground to?

Lieutenant
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Main power wire should be connected to the front battery with an inline fuse or circuit breaker, and the ground wire directly to bare metal.
Also, might want to check to make sure your speakers are connected, polarity wise, properly.

The buzzing is caused by the ground and by telling me it increase with throttle tells me its picking up some kind of signal/interference from your ignition system.

To get rid of the buzz you either need to find a better ground or install a ground loop isolator.

Screamin' Metal

You've been given solid advice here.....let me guess.....you either pluged into the fuse block or picked up the power from the 12 V. junction block on the firewall....correct?

I'm inclined to think as the others.....clean your ground.....run from the 12 V. source direct. These trucks have a quasi-12 to 24 volt system.....I believe is your major concern is the 12 V. resistor bank right behind the motor on the firewall........

Last edited:

skateabrock

remember that your cucv is 24v! not 12v, and chances are that your stereo is 12v. To install properly you need a constant hot wire, direct to the battery works fine and then a switched power, hook it up to the fuse paned onto the ignition or blinkers, etc. this way your clock will always tell the right time, haha. and like everyone else said, check your ground. also check your speaker wire for cuts or any areas were the speaker wire is grounded out.

OpieNoTool

There are three main wires coming out of the head unit aka "Stereo" Red, black, and yellow then u have your speaker wires.
The Yellow wire is your main power wire that should be hooked Directly to the Battery with in inline fuse. The red wire is your
key on power, that should be hooked into your fuse panel, and the black obviously is your ground, i would find a good chassi ground meaning some where on the frame because i know on alot these cucvs the body ground straps are rotted away as i know mine
was. Shouldnt have any problems this way thats how mine is hooked in and its been 2 years.

josh

Djfreema

In Memorial
In Memorial
Lay on your back and look under the dash up high behind where the headlight switch is. You'll see a shiny metal prong with about 8 1/4" metal tabs. Use that for your ground, spade connectors fit nice and snug onto it and its meant for electrical grounds. I have 2 cucv's that have stereo's and neither has any interference noise. I tapped the constant and switched power at the fuse block.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks