• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

A few tire questions related to snow/chains...

sponaugle

I recently acquired my first M35A2. Amazing rig, and some excellent information here on this forum. I have spent hours reading threads on all kinds of things. There really is a treasure trove of stuff.

I wanted to ask for some input on my wheel/tire choice. I have followed a bunch of threads discussing parts of my questions, but a few things are best answered in a more direct manner.

Like any good question about tires, it is important to start with the tasks being asked. I live in Oregon, and would like a set of tires/wheels that are snow/ice capable in the winter, and at least passable on mud/dirt in the summer. A bit more top speed wouldn't hurt either.

I have put together a few options that I would love to hear feedback on.

(1) I could just stick with the NDT 9x20s, and get chains.
PRO: Chains would be less then $1000, and would work well. Low cost.

CON: The NDTs suck in ice, and I would not always be able to have the chains on. Lots of altitude change here, so sometimes you are in deep snow for a bit, then no snow. Also the split rim design scares me. ;)

(2) I could upgrade to the 10 NDT 11x20s, and get chains.
PRO: Same as above, plus a bit more speed. Cost is more, as I would have to get the tires shipped and mounted. Perhaps $2000-$3000

CONS: Same as 9x20s. Ice=Bad
(3) Get the Supersingles from Eastern Surplus, along with the 46" 395 Goodyear or Michelin (~ 15.5x20 )
PRO: They look awesome, would work great in the mud, would raise the speed a bit. The Eastern Surplus wheels are reversible, which means the same wheel can be used in the rear and front (different offsets), which means you only need to carry one spare with you. These do no require swapping the hubs.

CONS: Cost. $6kish shipped. Also with the 395s, chains will probably not fit in the rear due to clearance with the other tires.

(4) Get the Supersingles from Eastern Surplus, along with 40" 12.5x20 Michelin XLs.

PRO: A bit smaller, but I could then fit chains on all 6 wheels.
CONS: Cost is about the same as the bigger 46", but at only 40", it is just slightly bigger then the stock 9x20.

I know that C&C Equipment also have a super singer wheel, although I don't think it is reversible, so if I got the 7" Offset fronts and 2" Offset rears, I would need to have one of each as a spare. Someone correct me if I am wrong.

Comments?

Jeff

goodguyzy

depends on how much disposable income you have first off. super singles is the best way to go. now if you are limited on funds, then other option.

sponaugle

depends on how much disposable income you have first off. super singles is the best way to go. now if you are limited on funds, then other option.
Agreed, the super singles seem to be the best option all around.

I should have listed the option of the Super Single Rims + the 14.5x20 Michelin XLs, which are 43". That is a size in the middle, and leaves enough room for chains. I could also do the 11x20 43" Michelin XLs.

I would love to hear comments about snow/ice traction with these tires. Of course adding in the chains make all the difference.

Also, anyone have a comment about which tire has better snow traction between the Michelin 395/85R20 XML vs the Goodyear MVT?

Jeff

Last edited:

EMD567

Driver for the Ga Mafia
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I like the firestone T831's. Seems to be a good tire/tread pattern.

sponaugle

You could bob it, spend less money on rims/tires, and be able to use chains with any size tire you put on.
Yes, that is true. I have considered bobbing it, which would make those 46" tires about perfect... and like you said the cost would be less by two tire/wheels.

I got a note from a guy in eastern Oregon who has a set of super single wheels and tires (46"), but I think they are the C&C wheels, not the Eastern Surplus Super singles.

As far as I can tell, the C&C wheels are a two piece wheel that comes in two different offsets, one for the front and one for the rear (non flipped hubs).

The Eastern Surplus wheels are a single piece wheel that is reversible, so the same wheel can be used on the front or rear (non flipped hubs). That means with the Eastern Surplus wheels I could have a single spare that could replace any tire. With the C&C wheels I think I would need a different wheel for the front and rear, so you would need to carry two spares with you (at 200+lbs each).

I suppose in an emergency you could run the front wheel on the rear, as the tracking would be the only problem.

Does the above logic make sense? From what I can tell the C&C two piece wheel is still different from the factory 'split rim', in part because it is a tubeless. It seems the factory split rim has the potential to be more dangerous compared to a single piece rim.

Jeff

hndrsonj

Senior Chief/Moderator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
As soon as I can afford to I plan on getting the Firestone 831's in 11x20. There are many different style 11x20's that can still be run as duals. Off the top of my head there are 2 Firestone types, 2 Goodyear and the Michelins.

Kohburn

how about converting to 10 bolt and using commercially available tires and wheel that you can get locally including retreads?

flyxpl

your super single estimate is high . do some more research . I also believe flipping the hubs looks better and makes the offset the same .

sponaugle

your super single estimate is high . do some more research . I also believe flipping the hubs looks better and makes the offset the same .
It is true that flipping the hubs would make the wheel choice pretty straightforward... then I can get wheels that are all the same offset, and a single spare will cover everything.

I have not looked extensively at the work required to swap the hubs. I assume this is something that could be done in 8-10 hours?

how about converting to 10 bolt and using commercially available tires and wheel that you can get locally including retreads?
As soon as I can afford to I plan on getting the Firestone 831's in 11x20. There are many different style 11x20's that can still be run as duals. Off the top of my head there are 2 Firestone types, 2 Goodyear and the Michelins.
I had not considered the 10 bolt conversion, and I'll do some research into that. Thanks for the input.

Any input on the difference between the 2 piece singles and the 1 piece singles?

Jeff

It is true that flipping the hubs would make the wheel choice pretty straightforward... then I can get wheels that are all the same offset, and a single spare will cover everything.

I have not looked extensively at the work required to swap the hubs. I assume this is something that could be done in 8-10 hours?
Yes, it's true flipping the rear hubs would give you the proper offset for the front. And yes, you could get it done in 8-10 hours...if you are EXTREMELY slow. Use the search function, do some reading on flipping the hubs, and go to town.

housemover

Flip the hubs put 395 goodyear mvt set of chains for front axle go any where you want within reason. I wouldn't worry to much on spare unless you traveled long distance. You can always put rear tire on front and chain the rear axle to frame to get home.

I recently acquired my first M35A2. Amazing rig, and some excellent information here on this forum. I have spent hours reading threads on all kinds of things. There really is a treasure trove of stuff.

I wanted to ask for some input on my wheel/tire choice. I have followed a bunch of threads discussing parts of my questions, but a few things are best answered in a more direct manner.

Like any good question about tires, it is important to start with the tasks being asked. I live in Oregon, and would like a set of tires/wheels that are snow/ice capable in the winter, and at least passable on mud/dirt in the summer. A bit more top speed wouldn't hurt either.

I have put together a few options that I would love to hear feedback on.

(1) I could just stick with the NDT 9x20s, and get chains.
PRO: Chains would be less then $1000, and would work well. Low cost.

CON: The NDTs suck in ice, and I would not always be able to have the chains on. Lots of altitude change here, so sometimes you are in deep snow for a bit, then no snow. Also the split rim design scares me. ;)

(2) I could upgrade to the 10 NDT 11x20s, and get chains.
PRO: Same as above, plus a bit more speed. Cost is more, as I would have to get the tires shipped and mounted. Perhaps $2000-$3000

CONS: Same as 9x20s. Ice=Bad
(3) Get the Supersingles from Eastern Surplus, along with the 46" 395 Goodyear or Michelin (~ 15.5x20 )
PRO: They look awesome, would work great in the mud, would raise the speed a bit. The Eastern Surplus wheels are reversible, which means the same wheel can be used in the rear and front (different offsets), which means you only need to carry one spare with you. These do no require swapping the hubs.

CONS: Cost. $6kish shipped. Also with the 395s, chains will probably not fit in the rear due to clearance with the other tires.

(4) Get the Supersingles from Eastern Surplus, along with 40" 12.5x20 Michelin XLs.
CONS: Cost is about the same as the bigger 46", but at only 40", it is just slightly bigger then the stock 9x20.

I know that C&C Equipment also have a super singer wheel, although I don't think it is reversible, so if I got the 7" Offset fronts and 2" Offset rears, I would need to have one of each as a spare. Someone correct me if I am wrong.

Comments?

Jeff
That is why I went with an A3 over the A2. You save the expence of swapping to super singles, get a dual circuit brake system, Cat engine with Allison trans, and even air assist steering. In cab heater/defroster, add ot all up and it is cheaper than an A3 that needs those mods. Oh, you actually have a muffler, so you can speak to your passanger.

sponaugle

Yes, it's true flipping the rear hubs would give you the proper offset for the front. And yes, you could get it done in 8-10 hours...if you are EXTREMELY slow. Use the search function, do some reading on flipping the hubs, and go to town.
Took a look at a few threads about flipping. Seems pretty straight forward, and more like 4-5 hours if I am careful and diligent.

Thanks for all the input about tire choices. There are several good options, now I just need to pick one. ;)

Next up for me is reading about heaters. It seems the fuel one is the way to go. ;)

Jeff

sponaugle

That is why I went with an A3 over the A2. You save the expence of swapping to super singles, get a dual circuit brake system, Cat engine with Allison trans, and even air assist steering. In cab heater/defroster, add ot all up and it is cheaper than an A3 that needs those mods. Oh, you actually have a muffler, so you can speak to your passanger.
I do have a quick question about M35A3 wheels. I did some searching about the wheels, but couldn't find this particular answer (perhaps because it is an obvious question).

If I put M35A3 wheels on my M35A2, would I have to first do the rear hub flip?

Jeff

cbvet

Sponaugle,
I don't know much about the tires, other than agreeing that the originals suck on ice. I have a full set of chains, which are generally too much trouble to install.
The heater? I'd go with the hot water heater mounted under the dash. That way it recirculates the heated cab air. That's how my original "arctic" Deuce was set up and it works great. Shirtsleeves at 10 degrees.
I, like some others, have played around with fuel-burning heaters. IMHO they're not worth all the trouble to get & keep them working. And if you want to run a WMO fuel mix they don't like it at all.

housemover

I do have a quick question about M35A3 wheels. I did some searching about the wheels, but couldn't find this particular answer (perhaps because it is an obvious question).

If I put M35A3 wheels on my M35A2, would I have to first do the rear hub flip?

Jeff
Yes you have to flip rear hubs

Gunnar1071

Comments?

Jeff
Give Hundy a call, $300 per tire (395's) and I believe $300-$350 for the re-centered HEMTT wheels.

So $3600-$3900 plus shipping (search for his threads) I believe shipping is around $120-$150 per wheel.

100Dollarman - Tires!

IHCBigJohn

I wouldnt think it would take you more than 2 hours to flip all 4 hubs if you include the time spent taking the wheels on and off. The thing that will take the most time is getting new bearings sent to you if the ones in there don't look so hot.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks