• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

A flapper that did not keep the rain out.

swbradley1

Modertator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I wanted my wife to put two Folgers cans on both trucks one day while I was mowing. Since I had both trucks outside to clean the barn and she wasn't happy about that she was not going to put red coffee cans on the stacks. After I was done mowing I go over and look, she had taken the two cans and panted them with her dark green lawn furniture paint. Bless her little heart.

:)

DieselBob

:) So simple, cheap like me and as of yet I have never had it blow off. Have been using it for over 2 years now and the truck sits out in all weather. No straps, cords or bungies to hold it on.

Attachments

Speddmon

Blind squirrel rehabiltator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
:) So simple, cheap like me and as of yet I have never had it blow off. Have been using it for over 2 years now and the truck sits out in all weather. No straps, cords or bungies to hold it on.
That's exactly what I use, but I can tell you from experience :oops: You Don't need the banner on the can, it will blow right off when you start the truck.

Water in the pipe

Is there any good reason why a flapper did not keep the rain out. I installed one a few weeks ago. The cut was straight and the flapper is level and flat. I went out and started the deuce and the exhaust sprayed black chit all over a fresh paint job. I was pissed beyond belief.

After wiping off the crud and letting it dry it took 4 cans of rapco tan to repaint back to fresh. Is there any way at all to keep the rain out other than a coffee can..?

Apparently the flap is a bust. GRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRR
Why not find the low spot and drill a tiny hole there so it will drain on it's own. Any kind of plug will hold water in the pipe accelerating the pipe's rust out. Not to mention that pulling the plug is just one more thing to do, or forget to do, before you go riding. Every time you forget to pull that plug and soak it in sulfuric acid, once again, You will hate yourself.
You can minimize rust at the hole by using a good rust proofing paint. There is a "cold galvanizing" paint available called... as usual my brain is letting me down right now. I remember the paint can is unusually heavy because it contains zinc powder.
Most any industrial supplier should know what it is called.
e

Last edited:

DieselBob

That's exactly what I use, but I can tell you from experience :oops: You Don't need the banner on the can, it will blow right off when you start the truck.
Been there done that. :) The banner seems to give it a nice straight trajectory when I forget to take it off. Kind of like the stick on a bottle rocket or tail on a kite. I think it must help in not blowing off in the wind also.

zout

No repair necessary or fabrication - just point the truck with the hinged end of the rain cap into the wind- :beer:. If your states wind blows from every direction move south.

islandguydon

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Screw it, I just drilled a 1/4" hole on the lowest point of the J-Pipe. I figured since the fuel is oil based it willl keep a coating on it to keep from rusting. Eventually when I have to replace the pipe I will have the pipe bending guy put a small pet cock in the lowest point and leave it open. Closed for fording. Thanks everyone for your insight and candor.:beer:

EMD567

Driver for the Ga Mafia
Steel Soldiers Supporter
You must be doing something wrong. My flapper won't move in a 60mph downburst. It has kept my exhaust pipe nice and dry thru some of the hardest wind driven rain ever. The only thing I hate is that it rattles at idle, but that is a minor thing to deal with.

ODdave

You must be doing something wrong. My flapper won't move in a 60mph downburst. It has kept my exhaust pipe nice and dry thru some of the hardest wind driven rain ever. The only thing I hate is that it rattles at idle, but that is a minor thing to deal with.

Its Michigan, Our wind blows up and down. Not across......

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks