• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

A general ? about fuel leak

Onearmedman

So I'm planning on buying a cucv blazer. I already own a 82 with a 6.2 diesel, so I'm pretty familiar with them.

The issue is that the fuel separator/filter on the cucv has rotten gaskets/ o rings and gushes diesel when you crank it over.

I need to get the blazer home which will be around a 2 hr drive. If I put fresh fuel in, and temporarily eliminate the fuel separator from the loop, will I have issues getting it home? I don't feel there'd be any issues while the weather is warm still, but just wanted to double check.

Thanks.

Gripy

Look into the spin on fuel filter mod, and just do that before you drive it home.

ETA: or just take the fuel filter assembly off of your good truck and swap it for the drive.

fitz

I think it would take longer to bypass the filter then it would to change the o ring.
How would you bleed the system if you bypass the filter?

Skinny

Thats actually a really nice Stanadyne Fuel Manager (FM100) series filter. Could also be the knock off Napa version...same stuff.

I would reseal it, bleed it, and run it. May as well change the filter as well.

doghead

4 Star General /Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I can't work on it where it sits, and don't wanna tow it either.. Just need to get it home..
Seems like you don't have a choice if you can't work on it where it sits.

Maybe someone else in the United States can assist you.

Skinny

I would limp it to the nearest WalMart or similar parking lot or a back road. This is an easy fix. The only thing I could see going wrong is your batteries if they are weak won't survive bleeding.

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I'm in the United States, maybe I can come by and tow it home for you, or at least to where you can work on it.

Onearmedman

Yea, after some further contemplating.. my thought was teflon tape to seal the cap so I could at least get it down the road. It's on a military base, and I'm not military.. otherwise I'd just swap out the assembly right there where it sits.. It won't start as it sits because of the rotten o-rings (no longer even there because they disintegrated).

I think your right though, it looks like a stanadyne.. I'm online right now looking at them.

Drock

Agree it's ah Stanadyne FM100like mine..........Battery tray.jpg You know you could probably find one of those o-rings at ACE Hardware

doghead

4 Star General /Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I think that is the same or similar unit as what Gimpyrobb is selling in the classifieds.

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Hope it's a private sale from someone that lives on base. GL does not offer weekend service.

Skinny

Why can't the owner suck it up and have it towed off base? Unless you are getting a smoking deal, I don't see how anyone could own a truck that doesn't start, have it parked on a base where no one can work on it, yet it needs to leave on a tow truck. Seems like a catch 22. If you stole it, then pull it off base with a strap.

Aside from not fixing it with o-rings which is dirt simple, you could always rig a small fuel can with a marine squeezy ball primer, and get it running in about 5 minutes after you plumb it directly to the IP.

Hope it works out for you.

Onearmedman

Actually, its a pretty smokin deal. I've talked to the guy and it turns out I can work on it there. I'm getting it for $1500.. He bought it from a fellow army buddy and was gonna turn it into a wheeler but lost interest.. It ran last in march. He says the only reason it stopped was the filter gaskets blew out.

I actually have a pretty good reason to believe what he's said about the condition ect. These days especially, if he was trying to screw me over by not disclosing everything or some other shady deal.. a short talk with his c.o. would have him in a world of hurt. I believe its on the up and up, he just isn't interested in it anymore.

If it were an off base transaction, thats one thing.. But not with an on base one.. My brother was stationed there and those guys are held to a high standard especially dealing with the public.

Last edited:
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks