• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

A Little Bit Of Lift

Croatan_Kid

Just 4 inches via Tuff Country HD front springs and 3 inch rear blocks. Also in the mix are a set of greasable ORD front shackles, main eye bolts and a rear u-bolt flip kit. I think the drop pitman arm was sent from SkyJacker, but sourced through ORD. As for shocks I hit up 4Wheel Parts and got one of their shock packages which includes 4 ProComp ES9000 shocks and an ES2000 stabilizer with hardware. The biggest pain of the whole process was replacing the upper shock sleeves so the bolt fit through them, other than that it was easy going. We started around 10 and finished cleaning up at 4:30. We weren't setting a speed record as there were numerous breaks and we tried not to get in a hurry. I only have two pics until he emails me the rest off of his camera.

Attachments

AJMBLAZER

NICE!

Driven it yet? How's the ride? Lemme know how you like the TC HD springs and the 9000's. Been leaning that way myself for a while now.

The dirty secret of the steering arms is that they're generally all the same. One company makes them for all of the lift makers and just casts a different number into them. I beleive ORD knows this and just orders whatever is cheapest from their suppliers.

Croatan_Kid

Actually....the rims are more than likely faded black CARC....they sorta look gray because I drove it up a local dirt road before I mounted the tires in December. So...yeah, I guess they are gray. I'm thinking of looking for some different rims, speaking of which I just acquired a brand new set of 12 bolt humvee rims for FREE with runflats...rubber of course. I'd definitely have to run aftermarket ones, I hate the rubber ones and I don't need a runflat I just need a beadlock.

The spring/shock combo is freakin sweet! It's amazing to me that even with hardly any arch to them, the new springs lifted it that much, but I reckon that goes to show the true flatness of the stockers. I think it rides better than stock and the steering stabilizer keeps any unwanted side to side montion at bay. Even with the sway bar gone entirely, it was like driving a Cadillac.....with straight pipes, and a diesel.....and 38s..... :roll: It was raining all day today and I was surprised it handled as well as it did on those tires. I think they have 35 front and 30 rear right now, but I'm gunna play around with it until I figure out what works best for me. Also, I think the best mod I did was the greasable suspension and urethane bushings. The stock rubber ones were toast and I pulled them out by hand!

I'm really excited that it sits level for once, too. Everybody tried to tell me a 3" rear block would make the front sit higher and I couldn't seem to get anyone to understand that the front was sagging and the rear would remain unaffected by the addition of a block. I was right and it sits perfectly level.

Croatan_Kid

Thanks you guys! It rides and drives pretty good, I drove all over everywhere today to show it off to some of my friends and family, burned the rest of my tank of fuel. Got a lot of waves and attention with it, all good, of course. I'm still not fully aware of the fact that it's mine even though I bought it, bought all the lift stuff and tires, and it stays in my yard....I still smile every time I see it and drive it :D

AJMBLAZER

Gotta love that feeling.

All I did was fire mine up this evening and smoke out the garage but it was enough to make me smile. Moved it a whole 4' back and 4' forward.

rizzo

I just got a set of 4" springs front and back

ur truck looks good, I have some 39.5 boggers. they should fit with a little fender trimming

AJMBLAZER

Your tire shop is dumb.

11.00R16's basically = 38x11ishR16. Mine measure a legitimate 37" tall under the weight of my truck at about 3/4 tread.

ehuppert

AJM,

Not quite sure why the tire shop is dumb? Seems to me they're follwing the tire manufacturers specifications which are a 7.5" to 9" rim width for a 285/75.

Since my retirement from active duty i've reverted back to my profession of choice, "wrench". At our "two man" shop i would certainly try to educate the customer in this sort of scenario, then i would have them sign off stating they're aware of the issue. Further more, i always hope that professionals of any sort would extend the same level of care and courtesy to me!

There is a basic rule of thumb for rim vs. tread width, but for the life of me i can't remember it!

With that said, i have 295's on my CUCV, just waiting for a inexpensive pair of 8 wides to surface! Really aggravates me every time i mount tires on some POS that has wider rims than our trucks!

Cheers, Eric

AJMBLAZER

Damn, but weren't yours pretty new?

ehuppert...I know the manufacturer specs. I also know, from lost of experience with several of my own and different vehicles, that just about any 285/75R16 will fit just fine on OEM 6-7" wide rims. I also know that the average guy at a tire shop telling you it won't work is solely basing this off of what the manufacturers say in their handbooks. Meanwhile most of those same manufacturers can't actually tell you how tall their tires are because the specs in the book rarely match reality. Treat it as a fuzzy guide and you should be good.

Heck, I've seen a 44" on a 15x8. Not recommended but it worked and aired down and wheeled quite nicely. I had my 36x12.5-16.5 HMMWV tires on GM OEM 16.5x6.something wheels. Worked great.
Age old debate.

Bobert

I work part time at the Sam's club tire and battery center. The rule here is we can only put on the tire size that is on the door sticker.
If you just bring the rims in, you can get whatever you want, up to 36''.

I'm all for rules but I like big tires. So I will put on whatever tires the customer wants.

They really don't teach the employees anything worthwile about tires.
Which brings me to the point, Don't take your car to walmart. Sam's maybe for basic tire needs.

I'm sure some of these dedicated shops would know what they are talking about.

AJMBLAZER

Oh yeah, the local place that I go to knows quite a lot and I take all my work to them. Most of the time they don't even charge me for the small stuff since I always have something interesting for them to do.

I've heard the Walmart complaint more than once on many different forums.