• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

A little help on my M1009

Small Prepper

Evening All

Need a little help with my 1985 M1009. ok that said

Heres what is happening.

1) Tried to start truck with hood up
2) Ground wire on front battery stated SMOKING and got really HOT
3) It sounds like HALF of the starter is turning??? or trying to start
4) The wire dose not look like the one that came with the truck. The wire is a # 10 gage. It is taped with electric tape.and is tight
5) Things I did on truck today
6) replaced fan blower motor
7) Cleaned misc. electrical termials (wiper motor, blower motor

Any idies?

Thanks For the help

ryan77

Sounds like your ground from the buss bar to the engine is bad, try clamping a jumper cable from the engine to the negative batt terminal! If that works u have a ground issue, I always run a extra ground cable from the negative terminal to a bolt on the engine by the alternator.

Terracoma

4) The wire dose not look like the one that came with the truck. The wire is a # 10 gage. It is taped with electric tape.and is tight
There should be a 10-gauge wire connecting the negative terminal of the front battery to the core support.

Assuming that your truck is still 24v, there should also be a 2-gauge battery cable running from the negative terminal of the front battery to the negative terminal board (bus bar) on the firewall. There should be a second 2-gauge cable connecting the negative terminal board to one of the intake manifold studs somewhere on the passenger side of the engine. Check to make sure that both cables are present, connected, and undamaged.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks