• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

A little more bang for your buck

Alright, this is a little vague, since I was given a brief description of how to do this, but the other day when I was at the navy base, I was talking to a Seabee, who works on the 6.2 Diesel and knows it inside and out.

He told me of a way I can make a night and day difference on acceleration/power by removing a cover to some module (I think) right underneath the air intake. He said you remove the cover and there will be a spring and an Allen screw in the middle, and all you have to do is turn the Allen screw 1/4 turn clockwise. No more or else you can melt your heads. He said he's been able to burn a little rubber doing this.

Does anyone know what he was talking about or even already done this?? I'll have to take some pictures when I get my 1009 out of the transmission shop.

cpf240

I think he is talking about what is commonly called "turning up the IP". Making a change to the Injection Pump. There are threads about it here, and I think some YT videos as well. I would think you'd want something like a pyrometer to make sure you don't go to far.

*I've never done this, just relating what I recall from threads on SS. Your mileage may vary.

Keith_J

Turning up the fuel. You can do it, it will work but for how long? On a 1009 without towing anything, sure. But a 1010 towing a good load?

This is done on turbo conversions to get the power, the turbo alone does nothing but allow more air. Power is done by more fuel, the additional air keeps the temperatures within limits. So without a turbo, you will have temperature issues.

Don't do it.

wayne pick

That would be turning up the fuel metering screw in the injector pump and it's a little more involved than what you discribed. Don't touch it, let someone who knows how to make this adjustment turn up the fuel. It may have been turned up once already. Depending on the condition of the engine, Another adjustment could cause damage. It's great that you are a new MV owner. Respectfully, you should familiarize yourself with how diesel engines work before making any adjustments.

MarcusOReallyus

Power is done by more fuel, the additional air keeps the temperatures within limits. So without a turbo, you will have temperature issues.

No, the turbo supplies more air to burn the fuel. There's a point at which a normally aspirated engine cannot pull in enough air to burn the fuel that's dumped in, in which case you start shoving unburned fuel out the stack and get no more power.

Add a turbo, and you add a bunch more air, so now you can burn that extra fuel. NOW you have a bunch more power.

But turbocharged air is much hotter than ambient air. Just running the turbo alone adds heat. Now burn that extra fuel and you've got a LOT more heat.

That's why some turbo vehicles use an intercooler - to cool the air after it's been compressed.

BTC70

No, the turbo supplies more air to burn the fuel. There's a point at which a normally aspirated engine cannot pull in enough air to burn the fuel that's dumped in, in which case you start shoving unburned fuel out the stack and get no more power.

Add a turbo, and you add a bunch more air, so now you can burn that extra fuel. NOW you have a bunch more power.

But turbocharged air is much hotter than ambient air. Just running the turbo alone adds heat. Now burn that extra fuel and you've got a LOT more heat.

That's why some turbo vehicles use an intercooler - to cool the air after it's been compressed.
The intercooler also adds power by cooling the air. The cooler air is denser, so there is more air fed into the combustion chamber.

thanks for the advice guys! I decided not to touch it since I'm not sure what I'm looking at yet. I bought my CUCV in February this year, and have not really been able to learn the ins-n-outs of this thing. I just finished my 6 year contract with the Navy last month, and I'm currently trying to get everything running well so I can drive it home.

southdave

Rule #1 never trust a seabee you don't know cause he usally drunk hungover or is on his way to be lol
15 to30 percent increase = manual tranny swap easist with donor truck and the truck runs cooler
if your not going to fresh up motor. I would leave the IP pump alone. the head gasket is the weak link not mention the bottom end issues , block webs cranks and the hundred other things that can go wrong in 25+ year old motor

Last edited:

papabear

GA Mafia Imperial 1SG
Rule #1 never trust a seabee you don't know cause he usally drunk hungover or is on his way to be lol
15 to30 percent increase = manual tranny swap easist with donor truck and the truck runs cooler
if your not going to fresh up motor. I would leave the IP pump alone. the head gasket is the weak link not mention the bottom end issues , block webs cranks and the hundred other things that can go wrong in 25+ year old motor
So...a Seabee is a GRUNT??:shock: Heck...I don't like water!!:tinkerbell: I'm confused on this issue...but on the OP's issue...

Leave that IP alone Brother!!:beer:

Thanks guys! I did some further research and actually found out how to do it step by step on youtube, but I figured I'd rather go slightly slower than risk melting my heads. I guess that'll happen when I get my Banks Turbo kit. :grd:

Keith_J

In the 6.2 diesel running at 15:1 air/fuel, you can net ~220 Hp. But it will blow black smoke and have a ton of NOx. It will hot spot the pistons and this can cause thermal stress cracking. So the air/fuel limit is set around 22:1

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks