• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

A major fear for any deuce owner, total failure of a steer wheel!

Stykz

2015-06-16_11-27-52_670.jpg2015-06-16_11-27-26_246.jpg2015-06-16_11-01-59_642.jpg2015-06-16_11-27-33_936.jpg2015-06-16_11-02-09_797.jpg2015-06-16_11-27-48_237.jpg2015-06-16_11-02-32_667.jpg2015-06-16_11-01-51_886.jpg

Not sure what went wrong, lost both spindle nuts and destroyed the bearings. Drove my M109 from California City to Reno in a day, about 375 miles total I believe.

I had started to notice an odd vibration at around 35mph, I think it was specifically at 1800 RPM in fourth gear I would feel it, and this was mostly once I had reached Nevada. Checked on things regularly and nothing seemed out of place. I've had a myriad of problems on my journey so far but figured it wasn't an issue until I was at a friendly place and could look into it heavily at my friends house.

I missed my turn in his neighborhood and went to turn around and lost the front wheel entirely. smoke poured out of my engine bay and the wheel was at a terrible angle, kind of resembling the Hondas I see around occasionally. I pull over immediately to a spot not blocking a driveway and decide at 10pm there's nothing I can do and leave a note and go sleep.

Upon jacking up the axle the next day, the wheel just fell off, drum and all. I don't even know where the outer hub seal and bearing went, the only thing remaining of the outer bearing is the race you see that became welded to the spindle. All the spinny bits are MIA and the outer hub seal is no where to be seen.

An angle grinder and chisel managed to finally remove the bearing race off the spindle, but it's not looking so hot.

bearing race 2.jpg

And this is what was made of the inner bearing race

bearing race.jpg

Some sanding and filing on the spindle where it had welded on allowed me to seat the new outer bearing, does anybody know if it's going to be a problem for me in the future? the spindle did take some damage especially in the void between the bearings but it was sanded and filed. The race surface itself on the spindle was sanded and filed until the bearing seated properly and doesn't feel loose but I'm still concerned about it.

Last edited:

rustystud

I would get a new spindle as soon as possible. You probably took all the temper out of it when the bearings heated up. When you last did your front wheel bearings how did you tighten the bearing retaining nuts ? Did you use the TM specs or go with "that feels OK" ? The reason I ask is it appears they where too tight. That is usually the result you get. That or you haven't checked the bearings and brakes and the grease that was in there was from years ago and had slowly over time dissolved away.

gringeltaube

Staff Member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
First, there is no outer seal on the fronts.
2nd, I see rust on the outer bearing race?
3rd, lots of dirt on the lower outside of the steering knuckle, which would indicate a ripped boot and water getting inside and doing its thing??

Maybe the spindle nuts were not tightened correctly. But if the bearing came apart and its cage caught the outer nut it will come off, since this is the drivers side.

G.

oboyjohn

You were VERY lucky that it didn't happen at highway speed. I have seen a deuce almost lose an intermediate wheel because of loose wheel nuts. But that is a first.

gimpyrobb

dumpsterlandingfromorbit!
It doesn't look like there is much grease in there, when was the last time you packed the wheel bearings? I would say if you clean it all up and grease her well, you should be fine.

Now for the fun part, if one looks like that, I bet the rest are in similar shape. Its time to go through and check them all. Might as well check the wheel cylinders while your in there too. Post up if you have any questions, I'd be happy to answer whatever you think of.

rustystud

First, there is no outer seal on the fronts.
2nd, I see rust on the outer bearing race?
3rd, lots of dirt on the lower outside of the steering knuckle, which would indicate a ripped boot and water getting inside and doing its thing??

Maybe the spindle nuts were not tightened correctly. But if the bearing came apart and its cage caught the outer nut it will come off, since this is the drivers side.

G.[/QUOTE
I was giving the OP the "benefit of the doubt" as to his performing maintenance on his truck. Though it is painfully obvious he has not done any bearing maintenance on his truck in a very long time.

gimpyrobb

dumpsterlandingfromorbit!
Pretty sure he just picked up the truck (new purchase) we can't get on him too bad, its just brought up the issue of neglected maintenance. A lot of folks get upset about some of us pushing inspection at the least, this is why. I hope he can get it to a safe place to work on it and go through the axles. He got lucky and the wheel didn't rip out the brake lines when it failed.

As I said, let us know if you have any questions once you dig in.

clinto

Moderator, wonderful human being & practicing Deuc
Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Supporting Vendor
I think people should thank the poster for putting this out there. I think things like this are a very effective reminder that all vehicles, but especially 20-50 year medium duty three axle trucks require a real and effective maintenance program.

I think sometimes we are quick to castigate folks for a lack of maintenance and although a lack of maintenance does lead to accidents like this and accidents like this could cause incredible mayhem (imagine a front wheel leaving the vehicle @ 50mph on the interstate), we need people who are willing to to own up to stuff like this.

Years ago, a member told a story about them operating a deuce winch incorrectly. He was very honest in his description of their mistake: They tried to operate the winch from the clutch on the winch and in the process, destroyed a new Dodge Ram pickup they were trying to recover. And although I am sure it was embarrassing for the member to post this story, his thread became legendary and ws linked to many times in an effort to educate newer members on the dangers of winch operations and the importance of reading the manual and knowing the proper way to do stuff. I am sure his thread has saved at least a few people from making the same mistake.

I hope threads like this one can be used to show how vitally important it is to service your equipment as soon as you buy it, or buy it from someone with a good reputation who has proof they've serviced it. When I bought my USAF deuce, it had a loose axle shaft and 2 of the axle nut lock rings didn't have any tabs bent over. I serviced my truck as soon as it came home so I caught this, but had I just started driving it I could have been in for a very bad time.

m109a2

Welcome stykz to the site I will not jump on you for you know now it could have been a lot worse especially at speed.I have a m35a2w/w and more,What I have found to work is I went down to my local credit union got a large calender and record with miles and hours fuel filter changes,oil and filter changes,check all axels just check every thing and record it.And if you do not want to feel the heat of your hubs with your paw,Buy a if thermometer and keep in your mapbox.You are very lucky no one got hurt.Al

rustystud

Clinto you make a very good and persuasive argument . This topic of maintenance is just one of my major hot buttons. As a heavy equipment mechanic for the last 35 years I have seen far to many accidents caused by a lack of proper maintenance. One that really stands out is a out of state trucker came into the shop (IHC) saying his brakes where bad and he needed them adjusted. Not replaced just adjusted. I asked when he noticed the brakes acting up. He said when he was going over the Rockies. I asked "when you where coming down ?" and he said "no, just before going up them" . Now we are in Washington state, and the Rockies are a "just few" miles east of here ! (like a few hundred). He had to go over the Rockies and the Cascade mountains to get here. He was using his "Jake" brake and gearing to slow down. He also was hauling a full load on his 40ft trailer. I asked then "what finally made you come in to a shop ?" and he said he hit a guy coming down the west side of the Cascades by North Bend. After checking his brakes I found that over half where metal to metal !!!! He only wanted them adjusted too ! I told the supervisor this truck should not leave the shop. The guy left anyway but the supervisor did call the state patrol. Now I'm not saying this OP is in anyway like this crazy truck driver since this guy had full knowledge of his unsafe brakes. What I am saying is that an unknown truck could be just as unsafe as this truck drivers rig. You never know until you pull maintenance on it.

frank8003

In Memorial
In Memorial
These, as pictured below, are not to be reused. They are to be replaced.
They just hold the wheels on, like nothing special here.
They hold it all together. There is nothing else holding it together.
Yes, your nuts are tight and you bent an ear or two, .....or someone did;
Or maybe they didn't.

I have found a great run of these things {pictured} are incorrect size.
As purchased they be stamped out faulty.
Even the BIGGEST suppliers are selling these faulty parts by the thousands.
This part should just slip on there square and proper!
I traced the faulty parts to someones interpretation of SAE versus metric and what is "closest".
They are still selling lots of them.
It was suggested to me that "that is what a hammer is for". Can I spell BS?

Due to lack of grease the thing should have just frozen in place until it caught on fire.
If it was locked with correct parts as per design it would have just welded it self together
until the truck pulled to one side so much it would become obvious and un *^$%#-drivable.

I did a lot of research on this particular part, bought a lot of them from various sources.

I found the correct {dimensional} parts, and do see how a "wrong part" can give improper
bearing "feel" when installed.
tablock 5.jpg
I am glad no humans got hurt.
7 tons going wherever it wants to goto is NG.
Now you get to inspect everything and fix it proper.

I know I should not even post this but I am distraught,
thinking of your wheel failure and the lawyers. So I post.

Aussie Bloke

G'day everyone,...

I think people should thank the poster for putting this out there. I think things like this are a very effective reminder that all vehicles, but especially 20-50 year medium duty three axle trucks require a real and effective maintenance program.

I hope threads like this one can be used to show how vitally important it is to service your equipment as soon as you buy it, or buy it from someone with a good reputation who has proof they've serviced it.

Coming from a family of engineers mostly from the aviation field and automotive I was taught everything requires regular maintenance.
This thread clearly shows why.
I applaud the OP for showing what happened.

I would hope everyone dose a pre-trip inspection of their vehicles before start up and look for any stains,... leaks,..... etc and any out of place or missing items or even smells.

It should be habit.

Aussie.

Stykz

Thank you all for your input, my reasoning for posting this was to make everyone think again about maintnence. I had done all four rear bearings repaced and clean and noted they looked great, grease was good and all aside from one that was contaminated with axle oil. I had inspected my fronts and they looked great so i thought it they could wait until i had time to tear down and replace boots and all.

There is no gease left as it burned it off and coated my door and box with it all, got hot enough to weld the bearing race to the spindle.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks