• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

A Mini VA rally

JSF01

I know this is very short notice but I figured I would put it out there to see if any one was interested.

On October 13th Langley AFB's Maintenance Professional of the Year committee is putting on the Stars and Stripes Car Show. I am not sure how many years they have done this, other than it has been at least twice. This year though it is going to be like a whole event. Usually from what I understand in the past there was around 25 cars. This year it sounds like they have been reaching out a lot more to make the event bigger and are expecting more like 200-300 cars. Of course with more vehicles there are now a bunch more categories including a Special Interest one which is Military, Fire, and Police type vehicles. While I love my M1009 and will definitely be entering, I also know it won't take much for another car to beat her. Now In my opinion it would be a real shame for a Non-military vehicle to take the special interest category in an event that is being put together by military personel.

I would love to see a group of you guys if possible join the Car show to try to hedge the bet that a MV takes home first in the special interest category the car show is from 0800-1600 on October 13th (rain date October 14th) at the Langley Speedway. There is a registration fee (pre-regester $20, day of $25, and clubs regestering more than 10 cars $15). Proceeds will benefit the Wounded Warrior Project, and the maintenance professional of the year banquet.

Like I said I know this Is kind of short notice, but it would be great to get see a decent MV presence there. I hope to have the registration form posted up by tommorrow for those interested. There are plenty of categories to be judged on as well if you are in between MV's or just have another vehicle you wold like to show off.

Attachments

Last edited:

JSF01

Sorry I ment to get it up yesterday, but was busy. Registration form is now on the OP.
Here is the address
11 Dale Lemonds Dr, Hampton, VA

Sounds good. See you there. Got directions? Will be coming across the JRB.
For you Assuming that its the bridge I think it is that connects to W Mercury Blvd.
Follow W Mercury Blvd to N Armistead Ave and turn left
Follow until you get to Commander Shepard Blvd (N Armistead Ave ends at Commander Shepard Blvd ) and turn right (at the light is left only but just before there is like an on ramp to go right.)
The spped way will be on your left in about half a mile.

Some more information on the event
1. There will be food sold there
2. You can only enter into one category even if your vehicle fits into multiple category (example my M1009 would fit both special interest and Chevy 1970 and up categories, I can only do one or the other which for me will be special interests) unless you pay for multiple registrations. Things like best paint or best in show is all cars.

JSF01

Some more information for any one interested. First of all I did not mention it before but all participants will get a ticket to the race afterwards. Now you will only get one ticket per registration so if you are bringing a spouse/kids you wil still need to get tickets for them if you want to stay for the race.

There is not really a website but there is a facebook page if you want to check it out.
Welcome to Facebook - Log In, Sign Up or Learn More

As a side note for those of you interested in going there is not going be designated spots for groups so if you want to park near each other you will have to show up as a group.

I am sorry Icould not update this any sooner I had been busy preping for my friends wedding.

JSF01

Some Minor new information. For those of you with out an operation MV or have a spouse or friend without one who also wants to be part of the car show, they have just added a new category Motorcycles

This could be a possibility for me. It would be cool if we could all park together. I'll try to get a more firm answer for you soon.

Jim

ETA: face event to invite friends if that is your persuasion. Stars and Stripes Carshow | Facebook
Once I know who is going to be going we can alway wait out side the event until every one gets there and all go in at once. We could also instead meet up at a nearby location and than all drive over as a group.

JSF01

The plan for tommorow is I am going to get there a little early and park out side of the speed way (the idea spot that I am aiming for is right off the road on the enterance.) and wait for those of you to that are coming to show up. That way we can all enter at once and be parked next to each other. If you won't be able to make it untill later in the day, Ill see about possibly leaving some room for you to park with us, just send me a PM letting me know what time you plan on showing up. I just can't make a guarantee that they will allow me to save you a spot.

JSF01

do we have a head count yet? i might be able to make it.

I got two that said they will be there with vehicles, two going with out vehicles, two interested in going but has not given a definitive answer, and three people that people that said they can not go but will spread word to others. (I do not know how many if any people that would be showing up from that potential group)

If you join us that should give us 4 vehicles. I also know of at least one other person that has an MV on Langley AFB possibly two (I saw another M1009 once so I don't know if he works here or had just been passing through) so I would not be surprised if they showed up but can't be sure since I have never met or seen them.

What is the consensus on time. I can get there whenever.
No one yet has said what time they plan on getting there. I was thinking of showing up out front at 0745ish to be the rally point in front to gather people and wait around until 0845ish before actually entering, unless there are alot of people that won't be able to get there until later.
(since I prefer to get there earlier since I am going to have to go into work in the afternoon and the specific time is subject to change)

JSF01

Well The little Mini Rally ended up being a pretty good time. Met some other members here, and one of us even got a trophy for third place. I completly disagree with 1st and second place winners. 2nd went to a hearse which had rust holes in one of the body pannels. 1st I don't belive should have even been in the smae category since it was just a Chevy SSR with a fancy paint job commemorating the Fire Fighters of 9/11. Don't get me wrong It was very nice and I believe it should have one somthing, it just should not have been in the special intrest group.

First Picture is of member moving chicane's M109
Second is my own M1009
Third is of odiegreen's M715 with it's trophy

Attachments

It was a pleasure to meet you guys. Thanks for putting it together JSF and thanks for making the journey Odiegreen. It was all for a good cause:beer:

Jim

Last edited:
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks