• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

A new arrival at the Kansas Museum of Military History a 1952 M135

Iyaayas184

This truck was saved from a metal processor who was about to cut it up for scrap. But offered it to our museum before he did. Now we hope to have her restored in the next 12 to 18 months. Big Thanks to James Hurst of DCS Autocore, Inc. and Doonan Trucking for making this possible!

Attachments

NDT

Steel Soldiers Supporter
VERY NICE GMC! Perfect early tailgate! Still has the blackout stop on the right side. I wish all scrap yards would think twice about cutting every single thing that rolls in.

Iyaayas184

What can you tell me about the tailgates, how does it differ from a later model gate? I really like the built in step. Also what can you tell me about the blackouts, what makes the early models different from some of the later ones? This particular truck has a serial number under 6000 in fact I believe it is in the 5200's

Iyaayas184

anyone who could assist right away with a set of wiring diagrams would be greatly appreciated. The truck is almost complete and am hoping to have it running pretty quickly. Only thing keeping us from getting it inside already was a stuck left rear brake.

Iyaayas184

Thanks Chief I will keep that in mind, we are going to try and refurb as much as possible but what we cant will need replaced.

NDT

Steel Soldiers Supporter
The tailgate with the step for some reason did not survive well in service, and was usually replaced with a solid one. The BO lamp on the right is not an early/late thing, they all were that way, but trucks that remained in service into the 1960's usually had the lamp replaced with the same as on the left. Yours is a 1952, they started making them in 1951, so technically yours is not "early". Wire number codes are in the TM which is available here on this site. I had a stuck brake once, to get the truck to roll, I had to burn off the bolts that hold the brake backing plate to the axle, and push the remains into the brake drum. The entire backing plate then will spin and allow you to move the truck. You have to undo the brake lines obviously.

USMC 00-08

anyone who could assist right away with a set of wiring diagrams would be greatly appreciated. The truck is almost complete and am hoping to have it running pretty quickly. Only thing keeping us from getting it inside already was a stuck left rear brake.
There are two bolt looking heads that protrude out of the back side of the backing plate that are for brake adjustment. Turn those toward the rear of the truck and see if that will back the brakes off and free things up.

m1010plowboy

Steel Soldiers Supporter
A rear view mirror? Army issue? .....the tailgate, just WOW.

The manuals got snuck in here and I did not see them until NDT pointed them out, thanks NDT http://www.steelsoldiers.com/forumdisplay.php?118-Korean-War-to-VietNam-War-Vehicles-TMs

Manuals are available here, here and here.... http://www.jatonkam35s.com/jatonkaM135-211sTMdownloadpage.htm

Paper copies are spread out on the net with some folks asking $60+ for one copy. I purchased all copies here......http://www.portrayalpress.com/

9-8024 and 9-1819 answer most questions .

Available to us with some very hard work from members here is a NAPA cross-over parts list. We'll get you to send us a private message PM with an email address and Big Al and Viny will set you up.

Welcome to a difficult green elephant to try and get on and finish.........and thanks for sharing it here.

Last edited:
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks