• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

A pop when I turn

Rebelpride

About a month ago I changed out all of my shocks on my M1009, and it needed it, I could compress all of the shocks and they never returned, and the ride is 500x's better. Which brings me to my question: when I turn usually to the right there is a thud or popping noise that can be heard thru the truck, it never did this with the old shocks. When I removed the steering shock I noticed that the "tie rod" pivoted backwards/forwards, is this normal or did I screw something up when I removed the shock. Or does it just need greasing?

devilman96

Piviot on the tie rod is ok as long as its STIFF... if its flopping around easily its time to replace them. By all means though, grease the front end!!!!

CCATLETT1984

check the condition of the joints, and also double check that your new shock bolts are still tight. If those look good, put the front axle up on jack stands and try to wiggle the tire up and down/in and out. If the tire moves in those directions then you are going to need to do ball-joints in the future, usually they are ok for a while after they start making noise.

ida34

If your shocks were not gas charged they will not return to fully extended. Just a point of order. Regular non gas charged shocks will compress and not extend. They only dampen.

davidkroberts

before i answer i have never even sat in a CUCV but i have ownded a chevy truck of similar year model.

mine was doing the same thing and it ended up being a sway bar bushing in the front end. havent heard your pop so im not sure if thats it but thats what mine was.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks