• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

a question about caulking seams on a hmmwv....

Pablo66

I'm slowly prepping my hmmwv for paint, and I've noticed that several of the seams between body panels are sealed with something that I assume was at one point flexible... it has dried out and is crumbling in places, and I'd like to replace it before painting.... What is this stuff, or what should I use? (I'd also like to fill several small holes left in the body panels from previous equipment installs, etc.)
would you suggest using the same product, or something else?

here are a couple of pictures of what I'm talking about.....

I have thought about using something like the caulk used on auto glass, but I'm not sure if it can be painted....

Attachments

Speedwoble

When I did my pickup restoration, I found they have auotbody seam sealer at the same places that sell automotive paint. Not sure what I would recommend to fill holes from equipment though.

kcollum

I used 3M All-Around Auto body Sealant 08500 for my cowl to windshield it worked great. Was able to purchase it at my local Carquest for 21.00 and comes in a calk tube so it is easy to apply.

flyxpl

Can also buy catalyzed seam sealer, which can be put on thicker, but will still dry and stay flexible . 3M makes it . Use 3m panel bonding adhesive to glue Aluminum or steel patches over holes, then cover with seam sealer .

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks