• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

A Quick fluid question.?

bus63kombi

Just a quick question on Coolant and Rear Axle lube on my M1009.
What kind of coolant do you all use,
and what brand/weight for the rear end, Any additives??
Thanks much.
-Cary

Armada

RE: Quick fluid question.?

Nope, no additive needed. Some posi-lok diffs will 'chatter' on turns, the additive helps to reduce that. The gov-loks in the 1009's don't do it.

bus63kombi

RE: Quick fluid question.?

Perfect. Thanks so much. Ok one more question.What temp do the 6.2's like to run at. and what temp should you start to worry?
Now that i put in a water temp gauge I can see what my engine is doing. And I am hauling a car back from AZ on saturday and just wanted to know.
It hit 210 yesterday doing a good size hill climb with just the truck.
thanks

Armada

I've got a temp gage in one of mine, but I have not driven it since last fall so I don't remember exactly what it runs at, 180 I think. 210 is high and I wouldn't be comfortable with that temp. Not to scare you, but the 6.2 is not conducive to running hot. They tend to blow head gaskets and/or warp the heads. What is your thermostat rated at? Have you gone through your cooling system at all? Have you checked for damaged radiator fins, clogged core, correct coolant level? Inspected the belts and hoses? Installed a new thermostat, flush radiator?

Attachments

bus63kombi

I will take a picture of my oil press/water temp gauge and tach setup. I have not gone threw the system. But I am going to tonight. I am going to fully flush put all new fluid in, new stat. The belts are pretty new only have a couple thousand on them. The radiator looks good. But we will see what happens after I go threw the system tonight.

AJMBLAZER

...ermmm...unless I missed something the M1009 Blazers have a standard G80 Gov-Lock (aka grenade lock) limited slip in them. These REQUIRE the GM limited slip additive in them. Later models supposedly work fine with the additives that most axle lubes have but something from the 80's would need the GM additive to properly function. Given their propensity to blowing up I'd spend the $10 or less and get some of the additive.

According to LO 9-2320-289-12 (the lube order for the CUCVs) differentiak additive is required only for the front diff for the M1028, M1028A1, M1028A2, M1028A3 and M1031.

I believe you can download the Lube Orrder from the references section of this board.

AJMBLAZER

Huh...it's just a standard G80. Guess the military didn't care if they got blew out. Seems like they don't keep them long enough anyways.

ida34

Most of the premium gear lubes have the additive already. Check the label. The really cheap generic or store brand lubes may not have the additive but the name brands mostly do. Be sure. Check the label.

AJMBLAZER

Eh, the old G80's were pretty specific. A lot of the guys on the various Chevy forums had troubles with only running diff fluid, even the stuff that supposedly already had the additive in it.

It's a G80 in a 3.08 geared 28 spline 10 bolt axle anyways...if it doesn't do anything you're fine. If it blows up it's a good excuse to put deeper gears, a better traction adder, and maybe better axles in there.

Armada

I like the mounting plate for the gages, looks good there. Nice tach too, wish I had one.
Where did you mount the sender for the coolant gage?

bus63kombi

Thanks. I feel it turned out nice. Looks good. And it is so nice to have gauges to see what my engine is doing.
I installed the sender in the drivers side head, I took out the dummy sender and put the sensor there.

bus63kombi

It is really easy, It came with a sensor that straps to the alternator just above the laminations in the center. Gets the feed from that. And then you have to calibrate it It is made specifically for that. Works well. I will take some more pictures later.

bus63kombi

Well the M1009 is alot happier now. I fully flushed the coolant system last night and put in new tstat. It was a mess, it looked like garbage in there, I also replace all the little hoses they were cracked to hell. It gets to 180 and sticks there. It likes it.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks