• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

A restoration of my Deuce witha tip of the hat to vietnam

04mustang

I went today with my dad and sandblasted the bed of the truck and put a fresh coat of paint on it. Its a ppg version of the 24084 from aervoe.
eventually, hopefully this upcomming week ill have the entire truck painted and the decals on it.
Got the decals from delta team decals.

Thanks,
Corey

Attachments

John S-B

Steel Soldiers Supporter
VERY NICE!! I'm going with the same color and lettering. I'm using Rapco spray cans as I'm doing it piece by piece. I like the LED's too.

04mustang

Thanks John! Its been a long time in the making for me to get to this point with the truck. It was missing a LOT of parts and needed some TLC. But im here now and painting 8)
Im thinking about getting the paint formula from PPG to post up on here for others to be able to match out if they choose to do so. Its an industrial type paint that is made to be sprayed without thinning and can be sprayed on bare metal. Its a flat paint that I add a 12:1 ratio of hardner to it to give it that semigloss look, and make the paint last longer. :driver:
Thanks,
Corey

04mustang

Just finished painting my truck as it got dark tonight, so pics in tomorrow, but its painted! :doghead:
Ill have the decals and troop seats with bows and cargo cover on it soon :driver:

I tried to get the formula for the paint mix, but no dice, ppg hold those cards pretty close to their chest.

Thanks,
Corey

DeucesWild11

Sweet, can't wait to see it all painted. I'm tuned in.. Saw the pic of the exhaust stack, reminded me of mine just before I did this.. I even got the West Coast mirrors to fit around it with some extra bending but don't have a pic of that yet.. Not sure if you were planning to keep all original but it does quiet down the cab quite a bit. If you are interested I'll dig up the part #'s..:beer:

Attachments

04mustang

Ok, so ive got the decals on it, except for a couple, and the troop seats and bows. cover will come later (maybe tomorrow).
Ive still got to put the reflectors on it and my antennas with the sugar scoops.

Thanks,
Corey

Attachments

JCKnife

I'm reviving an older thread for a restoration-related question. Now, to be honest I'm not doing a full-on period-correct restoration. For one thing I don't have canvas cargo and cab covers. But regardless where I can make little choices along the way without a big impact to the budget, I'd like to make them in the right (period-correct) direction.

So my question is this: would the glad hands have been red and yellow on a 1971 Deuce when it originally came into service? I don't see any gladhands at all on the trucks in this thread.

Thanks for any advice.