• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

A safe M936A2 recovery thanks to Steel Soldiers!

motorrad

First off I wanted to thank the owners, operators, moderators and contributors of this fine site for the invaluable resource that this has created for folks interested in the military vehicle hobby. Whether you own and operate these vehicles for fun and nostalgia, or intend to work them as I do there is truly no better place to look to for help and assistance as problems arise.

I was the lucky bidder a week or so ago for the M936A2 at GL in Atlanta, GA. The truck was labeled as a non-runner and looked pretty bad in the pictures. Armed with information from this site I inspected the truck three different times and got a good sense of what I was in for. Following the advice of many who had done this before, I used the TM's and wealth of information already posted on the site to do a pretty thorough review. That time and effort definitely paid off.

I probably paid too much for the truck, but have some specific needs for the crane and pulling capacity. I owned an M543 many years ago and have always regretted selling it. I'm a mechanic by training, but a contractor/project manager by trade so frequently have reasons for heavy lifting and hauling.

I removed the truck the Monday following the auction. Hit the GL site with a full complement of tools, lubricants, a generator, compressor and a plan of attack that worked out with a few tangents. First step was to get the truck into a rolling condition so I could successfully relocate it offsite for a full inspection, prep and road check. Understanding the rules for GL meant no work on site a removal was necessary for this truck based on its needs. Fortunately some of the towing legwork was done on this truck already - the driveshaft out and rear brakes caged. I got all the tires up, made sure the rear axles had gear oil, transfer case in neutral and a basic inspection to confirm rolling condition was in order. With some help from South Metro Towing I got the truck out of GL and over to the Atlanta Truck Parts storage lot.

Once at Atlanta Truck Parts I was able to start the project of getting her home to Cherokee, NC. Cherokee is about 150 miles from Atlanta, so a solid three hour drive at normal speeds. Not as bad as some, but definitely didn't want trouble with this thing on Atlanta highways! The storage lot at this location is run by folks who are no stranger to GL auctions. The lot has numerous military vehicles, and several parts trucks. A very good resource and relatively inexpensive option for folks like me who want to recover their own vehicles but spend some time getting them ready.

First step - lubrication! The truck as recovered was basically drained of all fluids with the exception of the rear axles. Whoever prepped this truck for DRMO and auction was kind enough to leave the rears full of gear oil, so no worries with prior transports. But the engine, cooling system, transmission, transfer case, front differential, power steering, fuel tanks, and hydraulics (ouch) were all empty. The filter specs sourced from various Steel Soldiers threads were all spot on, and using the Lubrication Order from the TM section I successfully got everything changed and back in order.

The truck as sold at auction had a number of mechanical issues, some identified and some not prior to buying. Most obvious was a burned out alternator. Not sure the culprit here, but likely bad batteries. Batteries were removed from the truck so new ones would be in order. The truck also had a broken transfer case shift arm. I'm guessing strong arming the t-case trying to overcome the shift interlock. Lots of trash in the fuel tanks, and a weak or shot lift pump. Otherwise lots of low or flat tires - all CTIS related.

With input from the site, I opted to replace the alternator with a Delco 21SI. A great option for these trucks - readily available and easily rebuildable. I also opted to install two 8D batteries in lieu of the originals. Completed the Delco installation with no issues and complete with a new stock/standard serpentine belt she's charging great. And the 8D's turn the 8.3 over with no problem.

Test cranking the truck revealed that she hits and runs but poorly. Again using information from the site and my own know-how started diagnosing air leaks and fuel system issues. Found a few surprises! The truck did not have the large canister filter installed behind the driver's wheel, but did have a small in-line filter installed just ahead of the lift pump. Very odd, since it was basically a 3/8" gasoline type filter and definitely not stock or mil-spec. Determined that the lift pump was non-op (or at least weak) also so opted for a replacement from Cummins. Cummins Power South is just down 285 from GL and the storage lot, so no problem sourcing parts. Replaced the pump, fabbed a new inlet with some brass fittings, all new fuel filters and she is fully back to life.

So why the little in-line filter? As it turns out both fuel tanks on this truck appear to be full of trash. Looks like dirt or rust, not clear what it is, but quite a bit settled in the bottom of both tanks. The little filter appeared to be installed so that this could be monitored and quickly changed out as it clogged. Not the best fix, but cheap and easy to swap. Having the new lift pump also makes priming a snap.

Once running we reassembled the driveshaft and damper, uncaged the brakes, checked the air system and started our test drive around the lot. As seems typical with these trucks the transfer case shifting was next to impossible. Upon further inspection, we found a completely broken shift lever under the truck that would only allow the truck to shift into low. Thanks to the good selection of M939 parts trucks on our storage lot, we were able to source one quickly and get the issue resolved. Otherwise we would have had to manually shifted it into high for our road trip. We left the air shift interlock intact, but will likely remove later.

Following a full run down of tire pressures, light checks, brake checks and a long idle period to make sure no leaks or other issues we hit the road. A 2:30 departure from south Atlanta meant not the best traffic heading north, but confident that the truck was running right and my brother behind me in the chase vehicle we set out. Four hours and few bathroom breaks later we made it to Cherokee safely and without issue. Climbing the WNC mountains (Cowee near Franklin, NC in particular) were fun. She pulled Cowee at 15MPH in first gear but made it fine and never a sign of overheating! Even got a nod from a North Carolina State Trooper as we climbed the grade with our hazard flashers and warning light going. Whew!

So here is my rundown of what we carried and some costs to maybe help future buyers.

Tools:
1. A full set of metric and SAE hand tools and screwdrivers. The Cummins 8.3 is all metric based on what we worked on so be ready.
2. Two medium and one large adjustable wrenches. Large set of channel locks and a couple pipe wrenches. Several sets of vice grips of course.
3. A torque multiplier and socket set for the wheels
4. A twenty ton bottle jack and several wood blocks/cribbing for shoring, etc.
5. Several trucker grade tow chains, binders and straps
6. A tow behind 10KW generator (maybe overkill, but we carried lots of electrical items as noted below)
7. 30 gallon portable air compressor
8. Electric drill, die grinder, side grinder/wire brush, plasma cutter and reciprocating saw (sawzall)
9. Drain pans
10. Boards for makeshift ramps and leverage, and several blankets to make the "on the back" work under the truck a little easier
11. An iPad loaded with TM's and internet access for troubleshooting

Parts:
1. All filters for the main drive systems on the truck - oil, transmission spin-on, transmission internal (kit with gasket), engine mounted fuel, and a rogue in-line 3/8" = $129.70 - NAPA
2. New serpentine belt = $46.92 - NAPA
3. Lubricants - engine oil (Rotella 15W40), transmission (Dexron III), power steering (Dexron III), gear oil (80W/90). Some of these don't meet specs, but my personal choices. = $141.71 - NAPA, gear oil $64.18 - Tractor Supply
4. Coolant (standard green) and NapaKool additive for diesel engines - $96.92 - NAPA
5. Batteries - 2 8D = $374.50 - NAPA
6. Delco 21SI and serpentine pulley - $175.00 - Mountain Auto Electric, Bryson City, NC
7. Lift pump and gaskets - $75.60 - Cummins Power South
8. Junkyard transfer case shift lever - $10.00 - Atlanta Truck Parts
9. Miscellaneous brass fittings and petroleum/gas Teflon tape for the lift pump (after I broke a fitting removing it) - $27.00 - Home Depot

Services:

1. Towing from GL to Atlanta Truck Parts storage lot (>1 Mile away) = $180.00 - South Metro Towing
2. Storage for one month (only needed a few days) = $125.00 - Atlanta Truck Parts

So in addition to the purchase of the truck and the requisite GL fees I've got just over $1,400 in parts, services and lube for the truck to get her home. Still looking at several hundred dollars of hydraulic fluid (100 gallons) for the crane and winch systems on the truck. Figure I'll have $2,000 at least by the time I do a few more tweaks, rebuild or replace some CTIS components and solve whatever other problems may arise.

What else does she need? It's clear that she needs an exhaust manifold gasket set based on leaks I heard on the trip home. The CTIS needs help and the ABS light is on. She also needs some surface rust attention and paint on the hood and top. Otherwise she is a great runner with decent tires that should work fine for what I need!

Risks that I took on the purchase were several. Despite the fact that I did several inspections and felt pretty confident that I knew what I was getting into it is nearly impossible to understand fully what you are buying from GL when the truck doesn't run on the lot. You just have to follow good advice, do your due diligence and weigh out your options. I anticipated that the flat tires would be acceptable, used my intuition and good judgment to expect a sound engine, transmission and driveline and rolled the dice on the rest. Luck was on my side, so all in all a good experience but do your homework!

Here are some pics of my adventure. Thanks again Steel Soldiers! Look forward to being a member of the community.

Attachments

Scar59

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Nice job Erik,
It pays to due your homework and be prepared. Since you were so prepared, towing and pre-arranged storage if needed, Mr Murphy didn't dare show up to help.
Glad you found the site and utilized it's resources. That truck was in need a of good home, looks like it has one now. Enjoy it and be safe.
JC

FloridaAKM

Good job on a truck that needed to be gone thru with good knowledge of its inner workings. Sounds like you nailed it like a pro & the wrecker now has a good home!

The Atlanta GL office is great to work with...

motorrad

So I completed the hydraulics fill yesterday afternoon. The lube order was pretty accurate. She took 90 gallons in total to fill the system to the bottom of the fill port of the hydraulic tank on the side of the boom. The balance of the 10 gallons specified probably were in the various lines, cylinders and motors. She was a thirsty girl! My initial test run shows everything works great once the air was out of the system. The bad news is that this amounted to about $700 worth of hydraulic fluid - the good news is that I now can say it's clean and changed.

Attachments

Another Ahab

A marathon post; chock full of good background for those that follow in your footsteps. Well done:

- 90 gallons of hydraulic fluid; sounds almost like a swimming pool!

And welcome from here in Virginia.

Last edited:
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks