• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

a terrible sight for a man to see

1943ht

Regards cutting those jeeps in half .. was on acive duty (Army) when the 151A2's were being taken out of the inventory .. my PBO's (Property Book Officers) told me that the government did not want to assume any liability for civilians being killed because of roll-overs in those babys so they were being scrapped.. did make some sense as we live in a society of litigation and suit happy folks .. but consdiering how many of those jeeps had been fitted with the ROPPS ( Roll Over Personell Protection Systems) it made me sick to think of all these great old vehicles being cut up for scrap and not beng available to the public for purchase.

wreckerman893

Possum Connoisseur
I think some of the TV scenes in that program were shot at "Shortys" near Anniston.
Shorty sold out to a yankee outfit and they scrapped every bit of green iron on the yare. They would not sell a nut or bold.
Several good trucks, engines in a can and other good parts went through the shredder.
Dam them all to hell.

Killer_Junior

I just drove by the yard in question- I wondered what the deal was with the trucks.

The DRMO at EAFB was closed down last year and turned into one of those crap-o-riffic "remote sites", where the various units have to make appointments with part time employees to turn in any property. Most of it is then trans-shipped to Minot, ND.

(Very efficient- ship property north to a more remote location, then ship it south if anyone needs it. :roll: )

The word on the DOD street here is that most units have found the process so cumbersome and time-consuming, that they have been doing their best not to turn stuff in. My guess is it was easier to get rid of the trucks and parts in question as "scrap", rather than turning it in some other way. Sad. Sad. Sad. :(

EdMontana

This may be linked to the future of all Govt. sales....

I receive this e-mail while ago...

---------------------------------------------------------------------

Alert Your Members of Congress About A Potential Threat to DoD Surplus Property Sales Take Action!

As a purchaser of U.S. Department of Defense (DOD) surplus property categorized as Demil B or Q you should consider how the following issue may impact you and any business you have in the purchase, use or resale of Demil B and Q surplus property.
In 2006, the Defense Logistics Agency (DLA) commissioned a study to evaluate the costs and benefits from the sale of Demil B and Q surplus property, among other items. A particular focus of this review is the impact the sale of Demil B and Q items has on national security.

While no one knows for sure the recommendations of this report, one potential near-term outcome is the decision by the DLA to stop the sale of these items entirely.

As part of the vibrant buyer marketplace for the sale of Demil B and Q items, you know that any decision to stop the sale of these items in an apparent attempt to solve a supposed “National Security” concern is a misplaced and bad policy for several reasons:

First, items that have any military use are coded as Significant Military Equipment and given a Demil code other than “B” or “Q” that would preclude sale to the general public. In fact, most B and Q items are common-use items available from commercial suppliers.
Second, all buyers of these items undergo a background check and are approved by the Defense Criminal Investigation Activity Assessment Office, and obtain an End-User certificate.
Third, many small businesses serve a valuable role to stock these items for future use by industrial and DoD activities. Any interruption to the Demil B or Q property stream would seriously damage thousands of small businesses across the United States and seriously impair the ability of the DoD to obtain selected parts they need to keep valuable machinery and equipment operating to support their mission.
Therefore, if you value your access to surplus property it is essential that you contact your elected representatives today by e-mailing them the attached message.
Time is of the essence. DLA’s decision on this matter is probably very close.

-------------------------------------------------------

Also, more info where you can actually take action...

Important position paper from the National Association of Aircraft & Communications Suppliers on threats to U.S. Government surplus sales.
National Association of Aircraft & Communications Suppliers' position paper on DoD's proposed termination of its surplus sales program. Take Action!

Important reading for surplus dealers

The National Association of Aircraft & Communication Suppliers has prepared a position paper on the proposed termination of DoD's surplus sales program. The position paper is the featured alert at www.surplusbuyers.org or you can click on the TAKE ACTION link at the top of this message.

Whether or not you are in the aircraft or communications surplus business, you should read this trade association's position on this important issue. To learn more about NAACS visit their homepage at www.naacs.com A copy of the position paper is also available there.

You may e-mail a copy of the position paper to your elected representatives from the alert page. We encourage you to do so, and to ask for their assistance.

ARMYMAN30YearsPlus

In Memorial
In Memorial
RE: This may be linked to the future of all Govt. sales....

Live Free or die... my favorite state motto from New Hampshire. If the DLA is thinking this is a problem too many beurocrats are in charge and we need to fight this. One of my driveways would be empty if they take back all the items I have won over the years.

surpdlr

garp said:
I am sure the story I am going to tell will surprise a few folks, and I am sure others have run into this already. Friend was at a local scrap yard looking for some project iron. He called and asked me to get down there asap. They were in the process of cutting up some military trucks he tells me. I skipped oujt fo work early and jet over there. The guy tells me look all you want, but I cant sell you a nut or bolt. He had a document, that he let me see, that stated the material he had recieved was to be mutilated and destroyed for the purposwe of recycling. NO items to be retained or sold. So with this We went out into the yard and find couple of m813s cut down to the bare essentials and an m35a2 just visible as a pile of 18in chunks. Feeling totally disgusted and unable to talk I turned and left. As i lef tthe yard I saw 7 more trucks across the road awaiting the same fate. 2 more m35s and 5 more 5 tons. One of the five tons had a Hemmitt cab sitting on the bed too. ANd to top it off they even had new or near new tires all the way around. What a freaking waste, I may go be sick now that i have retold this sad tale. Pray for me,lol
RANT ON

There must be very short attention span theater on this list.
I have been sounding this warning on and off for years. I have explained this in several different posts recently, but it seems to fall on deaf ears each time.......

http://www.steelsoldiers.com/index.php?name=PNphpBB2&file=viewtopic&t=15937&highlight=

OR:

http://www.steelsoldiers.com/index.php?name=PNphpBB2&file=viewtopic&t=15667&highlight=

OR:

http://www.steelsoldiers.com/index.php?name=PNphpBB2&file=viewtopic&t=14778&highlight=

As I have said in the past, this is the start, more and more property is being sold with the “Scrap clause / Scrap warranty” included in the sale. Later, retroactively (DRMS is already got the plan in motion, see above the GL recall notices) They will come for every truck and part..... It is a “Retroactive Demil Bill”, without th headache of getting Congress and the Public involved!!!
As long as people roll over hand legally purchased items back in, DRMS will be emboldened to continue this madness!!! As GL will tell you, title to the “property” they sell passes to you the buyer when it is knocked down / payed for. If something is missing from your lot, tough... So to follow that logic, you own the item, you can sell it (with in the law), or keep it. There is no LEGAL reason to give it back!!

RANT OFF