• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

A tricky question for the SS oracles

droopypete

Hi guys, a standard shipping container is 7'6" wide internaly, I am doing my math to see if I can shoe horn a duece into one so I can ship it over here to Australia, I am guessing getting the paperwork to ship it out of the US will be another issue, but my question for today is, how skinny can I make a duece?

The height should be fine with the screen down and the exhaust off, I hope with the tray off and the mirrors in, the width will be ok as well.

I have had a big search through the huge amount of data here but couldn't find an answer, please enlighten me.
Peter.

G-Force

Somebody here shipped a truck to Costa Rica I beleive in shipping container and has pics posted.....I'll see if I can find them....or maybe someone else knows who it is....

RealCavDog

clinto

Moderator, wonderful human being & practicing Deuc
Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Supporting Vendor
KsM715 is working his search karma skills tonight

Mikey90744

depending on the length, easier way to ship one would be to just load it on a flat rack, as long as its under 96" wide doesnt cost much or any more to use a flat rack instead of box. other thing to think about is a 48' and 53' container are 102" wide instead of 96" wide like a 20' 40' or 45'

RealCavDog

depending on the length, easier way to ship one would be to just load it on a flat rack, as long as its under 96" wide doesnt cost much or any more to use a flat rack instead of box. other thing to think about is a 48' and 53' container are 102" wide instead of 96" wide like a 20' 40' or 45'

Your totaly right, but I would worry about theft or damage using the rack, some of the concerns that were in the link that KsM715 posted !

When I was employed at a fairly famous salvage and custom truck shop in Joplin, we would have a crew of several guys fly over from Australia, buy several complete trucks and lots of parts, and disassemble the trucks, stow them all in the smaller containers for faster and easier shipping and for some reason, faster customs clearing ?

Never did get the whole scoop on thier reasoning, but it had to do more with time than money, or so they said, the problem they said, was not getting it out of here, but getting it into there !

Thats been 3 or 4 years ago though !

Mikey90744

on the US side, side of the box doesnt affect shipping times or clearance times, I bet they were doing it because of the weights involved.

as for theft- again Im talking just on the US side, if you just employ the shipping line to take from point A to B, your not involved other then payment and delivery, they are shipped secure across the country if need be, then taken into a secured terminal and loaded on site then loaded on the ship.

if he is not standing here in the US to load it chances are it will get shipped that way, the shipping lines and outside CFS load containers as FAST and tight as they can they arent going to monkey around to squeeze one of these trucks into a box if it will fit, or take it apart to load it they will load on a flat rack and be done with it.

another option again its exposed tho so you guys would be afraid of theft would be a roro, Ive never been involved in shipping on a roro. just another thought to look into

RealCavDog

on the US side, side of the box doesnt affect shipping times or clearance times, I bet they were doing it because of the weights involved.

as for theft- again Im talking just on the US side, if you just employ the shipping line to take from point A to B, your not involved other then payment and delivery, they are shipped secure across the country if need be, then taken into a secured terminal and loaded on site then loaded on the ship.

if he is not standing here in the US to load it chances are it will get shipped that way, the shipping lines and outside CFS load containers as FAST and tight as they can they arent going to monkey around to squeeze one of these trucks into a box if it will fit, or take it apart to load it they will load on a flat rack and be done with it.

another option again its exposed tho so you guys would be afraid of theft would be a roro, Ive never been involved in shipping on a roro. just another thought to look into
Totally agree ! When it came to loading those small containers on the trailer they were HEAVY ! Right also about there being no difference on this end, it was something on the other side !

Its going to be an interesting adventure for sure ! And pricey I bet !

droopypete

Wow ! Just goes to show the lengths that true enthusiasts will go to when it comes to getting what they want !

Makes me feel a bit meek when I consider some of the worrying I have done when it comes to considering the logistics of a long distance recovery !
Don't worry, it is a bit daunting for me as well.
Peter.

droopypete

I was after something with a lock on the door, as I plan to bring a pile of parts back with it, and I would be concerned about my tires "walking" away. the extra width of the longer containers doesn't sound like much but when you are chasing a few inches it can be the difference of fitting it in or not, good call.
Peter.

droopypete

Your totaly right, but I would worry about theft or damage using the rack, some of the concerns that were in the link that KsM715 posted !

When I was employed at a fairly famous salvage and custom truck shop in Joplin, we would have a crew of several guys fly over from Australia, buy several complete trucks and lots of parts, and disassemble the trucks, stow them all in the smaller containers for faster and easier shipping and for some reason, faster customs clearing ?

Never did get the whole scoop on thier reasoning, but it had to do more with time than money, or so they said, the problem they said, was not getting it out of here, but getting it into there !

Thats been 3 or 4 years ago though !
I don't understand the 20' vs 40' container argument either.
It wasn't W & P machinery was it?
Peter.

droopypete

I will come over to purchase the truck and parts and a good mate of mine ships vehicles out of Texas regularly (not usually this big however:)) so his guys will pack it for me, I may hang around it will depend on time.
He also suggested roll on roll off, but cited the same security concerns as a flat rack, thanks for the tip however, it is all great information.
Peter.

Mikey90744

No problem, its the industry I work in.

another thing I just thought of today, if the truck you end up with if you have tires or lift done while you're here and you get it to tall for a high cube (9'6" exterior) you can get a rag top considered by customs just as secure as a standard box so if you are concerned about theft shouldnt be an issue