• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

A winch is a winch is a winch ... or is it??

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I think 10,000# is underrated and the DOD guys knew folks would work them way beyond their capacity so added the shear pin. The winch capacity can certainly increased with a sacrifice in line speed by running multi part lines. I try to do 2 and 3 part lines as cable permits. I prefer slow winching for the most part. A deuce with a load (evenly distributed) of cargo and a front winch puts the front tires near their max capacity so maybe thats a factor too. Never had a problem with an inadequate winch although I've had some 3 or 4 shear pin recoveries.

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Funny you should ask. They vary in price. I think finding the PTO shifter might be the harder part. Do a little shopping for price. I've got one that appears to be an overhaul and doesn't look likei t's been installed. I'll take $150 + shipping. Shop around before making a decision though.

wallew

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Trango & DrFoster,
I'll see you guys bright and early tomorrow AM. Then down to Sedalia. AND I'm buying lunch, no arguments. I really appreciate you two going along on this 'look see' at Jeffs deuce. I got extra batteries for the digital camera, written directions, phone numbers and filled up the Sub. So we are ready to roll as soon as you guys show up.

DrFoster,
Yeah, we gotta talk about that winch of your Dad's. Cause I just gotta have something. I'm not going much of anywhere 'winchless' as it were.

Trango,
You just gotta tell us about your 3208 Cat and how much work that took.

Now I just gotta find a three extra fuel tanks and I'll be set. Maybe another set of wheels (including spare), cause I generally prefer to have both a 'road' (summer) set and an offroad (winter) set. Then of course, the air assisted jack. I think I've got most everything else. Though I might want to purchase another air driven socket driver and just leave it in the deuce's locked metal tool kit that I will fab for myself.

FSBruva

As for the 10K rating... they don't intend for you to be pulling the deuce up the side of a building... or lowering a deuce backwards off a plateau (Monkey Wrench Gang)...

Matt

Towerguy1

On more than 1 occasion Ive made the deuce slide on level ground with my foot on the breaks dragging all 10 tires! 2 parts of line should have no problem getting you on the upper level of that parking garage without useing the gate! Lower yourself down later and no parking fees!!!!!

mangus580

The trick with keeping the truck from moving is usually a chunk of firewood or wheel chock under the tires.

Other thing I have been known to do, when winching trees over, is to pull the bumper up tight to another tree... :)

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
If you go to the tech manual section and download FM 9-43-2 it has lots of info on winching and recovery. It also has a section on anchors including a Scotch Anchor. Very useful in the field. See pic.

Attachments

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks