• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

A0 fuel in coolant. Need advice.

Ned81

I drove my truck the other day and when I stopped fuel/antifreeze mixture was pouring out the overflow hose from the coolant tank.
I did some research and found the cause is most likely the injector cups. Looks like too much of a job for me (needs special tools)so I took it to a shop. They want to replace the cups, injectors, o-rings, flush cooling system and send the head off. Not sure why yet. I have a couple minor oil leaks unrelated. Outer timing cover gasket, oil pan gasket and a new breather. They haven’t given me the part prices yet but they want $6300 for labor.
Seems a bit much to me. I assume the injectors will need to be synced. Im not sure they can do that in house. I have quite a bit of experience working on cars but zero on Diesel engines. I was thinking I would need the cups replaced, new o-rings and seals, sync the injectors , flush the cooling system and good to go. Am I missing something? I plan to go to the shop tomorrow to speak to the mechanic face to face.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

JETDOCTOR

I had the injector cups on my loader (3116) done at the Cat dealership. They had special tools. They did not remove the head. It was inexpensive. It was a few years ago and they were doing a lot of them. Don’t know if yours needs that.

87cr250r

The only thing you need done is to have the cups replaced. The rest of that is unnecessary up sale. Remember, fuel is leaking ino the coolant. Coolant isn't leaking into the injectors.

Look closely at your timing cover leak. The gaskets are not prone to failure. Timing covers crack from poorly supported air compressors.

Ned81

The only thing you need done is to have the cups replaced. The rest of that is unnecessary up sale. Remember, fuel is leaking ino the coolant. Coolant isn't leaking into the injectors.

Look closely at your timing cover leak. The gaskets are not prone to failure. Timing covers crack from poorly supported air compressors.
That’s what I’m
Thinking too. The rest just doesn’t add up.
Thanks for the heads up. I just installed ac and one of the bolts that hold the compressor bracket is also a timing cover bolt. It just started leaking after the install. I did look carefully and didn’t see a crack. Im thinking removing the bolt upset the gasket a bit. My air compressor is secure with extra backer in place.

Ned81

Follow up. Just got my truck back today from
CAT. $2853 to replace the cups and put it all back together. Another 300 to flush the coolant system and fill it. Back on the road!
They did seem to drop the driver door open while the van was up. Bent the lower hinge and the track on the bottom. They fixed both while I waited.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks