• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

A0 vs A1 Air/Hydraulic Pump

TomTime

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Quick question, is the air/hydraulic pump the same in the MTV A0's vs the A1's?

Mullaney

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Supporting Vendor
I'm pretty sure so. I know the hoses and the manual pump are the same on my A0 as my A1R. Not 100% sure about the air/over pump, but I can't see why the A0 would be any different (same task).
With no specific information to back it up, I agree.
My M108xA1 and my M108xA0 parts look the same and seem to function the same way.

TomTime

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Pump wasn't working. Tried everything to get it to work even with the suggestions from SS member. Took it off today to clean and rebuild it and I'm in it now. So I'm using the TM to get it apart, It may look like the A0 on the outside but the interior of it is very different. I guess I'm going to have wing it from here, I can't find any other TM's that match up with what I have.

Well fingers crossed!

Thanks for the response.

TomTime

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Well, I cleaned all the parts, they weren't that bad considering the fluid tank was nasty! Was working on it for several hours and I took my time since the TM's wasn't a lot of help and just got it back together. If I have to do it again I think I could do it all in less then an hours next time.

The basics are the same but the parts are made different then what the TM's show. I used none of the parts in the kit as most didn't even match up to what I had. The air motor in mine doesn't come apart, whereas the TM shows the air motor comes apart with 4 screws, and can access all of the parts in it. The cylinder which houses the air motor does not use O rings at each end of the cylinder at the castings. The casting ends appear to have a gasket material poured into the ends to seal the cylinder. The guide rod that the main spring goes over does not have a washer/wiper on it and the inside where the guide rod recedes into the housing it made different and does not use a plastic washer/wiper it a has a brass bushing. It doesn't use a gasket between the manifold and the cover plate, it just uses O rings.

From the looks of it, it doesn't appear to have been ever taken apart, I had to break the paint seal..

Took lots of photographs and will send some out as soon as I put in back in the base. Well maybe it was just me, since it was my first time taking one apart and putting back together again. Hopefully it will work now, but I'm not holding my breath!

Last edited:

TomTime

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Third From Texas,

Here are some pictures I took of the pump.

The first picture show the relief value on the side and not in the back.
#2. Shows the pump cracked opened.
#3. Shows no retainer, no preformed packing, no retaining ring or O ring.
#4. No O ring
#5. This is the air motor, top view, no screws to take it apart, and I could not find a way to open it.
#6. Bottom view of air motor, sealed no way to open it.
#7. Shows pump apart.
#8. Again no retainer, no preformed packing, no retaining ring, or O ring. The plastic preformed packing in the back ground is what came in the kit...wasn't used, no place to put it.
#9. No pipe as in the TM's TM 9-2320-366-20-5, 19-8.1
#10. Filter screen was about 95% clogged, and no way to get it out. I fooled around with it for 20 minutes or so, and couldn't figure out a way to get it out without damaging it. But I was able to clean it.

This came out of a 2002 S&S M1083A1, and it appears different to me then what it shows in the TM's. Let me know if I'm wrong, I'm new at this.

When you get to rebuild your pump on your A1R let me know if it is different.

Thanks.

Last edited:

Suprman

Supporting Vendor
There are some variations some have a metal housing some are plastic but they are all basically the same and use the same replacement seals. There is a heavy lift kit it upgrades the cab lift cylinder and has reinforcement brackets. On the armored trucks they went to an electric pump.

TomTime

Steel Soldiers Supporter
There are some variations some have a metal housing some are plastic but they are all basically the same and use the same replacement seals. There is a heavy lift kit it upgrades the cab lift cylinder and has reinforcement brackets. On the armored trucks they went to an electric pump.

Yeah that maybe, but when it's your first time rebuilding or taking one apart you kind of rely on the TM's and/or the instruction sheet that comes with the kit. When things don't match up to what your seeing in the TM's and the instruction sheet it is concerning. I believe myself to be mechanically inclined and can usually figure things out after taking them apart and looking at them.

So I took my time taking it apart to make sure I didn't miss or drop anything. I could only match up few O rings in the kit that would match up with some on the unit. Since everything looked very good after cleaning them I just reassembled it.

I guess the main issue with me is that there are numerous parts shown in the TM's, instruction sheet and were with the kit that were not found in mine or were made different, like the air motor, which I could not find how to take it apart to clean. Since the pump didn't function, at first I wasn't sure if the unit was missing the parts, the parts disintegrated due to time and conditions or if it was manufacture different then what the TM's showed.

Well, you live and learn and it was an education and now I know what I'm dealing with in the future. I believe now I could take one apart and put in back together in a fraction of the time it took me this time.

I don't know why it was not functioning, but I hope this cleaning helped and it will function now.

Everyone, thanks for the replies.

Be safe!

Last edited:

TomTime

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Are you puffing hyd fluid out the breather? Is the pump cycling? It’s usually the u cup seal is worn out.
Reinstalled it last night but haven't tried it since I cleaning it. I will get to that today hopefully if weather permits.

But, before removing the pump nothing coming out of the breather, I removed the breather and check it and it was clear.

It sounded like it was cycling but nothing moving.

As for the u cup, not sure what that is, I may have missing it in the TM's.. The only thing that looks like a u cup to me is what the TM's call the "bumper" that fits on the "guide". Is that it?

Last edited:

Third From Texas

Third From Texas,

Here are some pictures I took of the pump.

The first picture show the relief value on the side and not in the back.
#2. Shows the motor cracked opened.
#3. Shows no retainer, no preformed packing, no retaining ring or O ring.
#4. No O ring
#5. This is the air motor, top view, no screws to take it apart, and I could not find a way to open it.
#6. Bottom view of air motor, sealed no way to open it.
#7. Shows motor apart.
#8. Again no retainer, no preformed packing, no retaining ring, or O ring. The plastic preformed packing in the back ground is what came in the kit...wasn't used, no place to put it.
#9. No pipe as in the TM's TM 9-2320-366-20-5, 19-8.1
#10. Filter screen was about 95% clogged, and no way to get it out. I fooled around with it for 20 minutes or so, and couldn't figure out a way to get it out without damaging it.

This came out of a 2002 S&S M1083A1, and it appears different to me then what it shows in the TM's. Let me know if I'm wrong, I'm new at this.

When you get to rebuild your pump on your A1R let me know if it is different.

Thanks.
Thanks. Appreciate the info !

TomTime

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Let me know how that goes. I’m curious to see if my A1 is any different then yours.

Be safe!

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks