• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

A04-53 engine for early mule

maddawg308

Steel Soldiers Supporter
A buddy of mine called and said he got a 4-cylinder mechanical mule engine in trade, wants me to get rid of it. I think I'll pick it up off him and try and sell it myself in the classifieds.

Anyways, judging from what he has told me, it's a A04-53 4-cylinder gas engine. I have never seen an early mule, all the mules I have run into are the later ones with the 2-cylinder engine. What I am curious about is, are the 4-cyl engines desirable? How are they in terms of power, reliability, replacement part availability, ease of maintenance? Is it worth my effort to try and save this, or were they replaced by the military on the mules because they were a steaming pile of crap?

Any help is appreciated...

natem

This is an early mule motor................Well two of them, next time I go out to the barn I'll check numbers.

Edit:I can't find any numbers on ether motor. These are the very early 4 cyl. the later 4cyl. have a fiberglass case around the carb and hour meter.

Nate

Attachments

Last edited:

MWMULES

Steel Soldiers Supporter
In Memorial
The mule 4 bangers will look like the above photos, mule sheet metal and fan are way different than the gen set. If you score a early one it will also have Willy script on the valve covers.

whitefox

willys mule engine

The mule 4 bangers will look like the above photos, mule sheet metal and fan are way different than the gen set. If you score a early one it will also have Willy script on the valve covers.
I have 2 motors with the willy script on the heads. Does the genset motor have this feature as well? Both motors have the slot for the hour meter...

thanks

Tracer

Steel Soldiers Supporter
A buddy of mine called and said he got a 4-cylinder mechanical mule engine in trade, wants me to get rid of it. I think I'll pick it up off him and try and sell it myself in the classifieds.

Anyways, judging from what he has told me, it's a A04-53 4-cylinder gas engine. I have never seen an early mule, all the mules I have run into are the later ones with the 2-cylinder engine. What I am curious about is, are the 4-cyl engines desirable? How are they in terms of power, reliability, replacement part availability, ease of maintenance? Is it worth my effort to try and save this, or were they replaced by the military on the mules because they were a steaming pile of crap?

Any help is appreciated...
madddawg, a friend of mine is a mule collector/re builder, and he said the 4 cyl. Willys engines are valuable to the right person. He also said parts are available and parts prices are reasonable. On the down side he said there are very few complete 4 cyl. Mules around.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks