• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

A2 CTIS TMs

silverstate55

Unemployable
Steel Soldiers Supporter
A2 CTIS TMs (TM 9-2320-272-34P) Question

While troubleshooting my CTIS system on my M931A2 and trying to find part numbers for possible replacement parts, I noticed that the -34P in the TM section of this forum is dated 1988 and only covers M939/M939A1 trucks...while doing a search of the Interwebs, this is the newest version of the TM 9-2320-272-34P that I can find; other sources that list a newer version to include CTIS parts are all listed as "Backordered."

Does anyone have, or have a source for, a newer -34P that covers CTIS parts? Or am I missing something? I searched so long that I wore my eyes out, it's very possible that I'm overlooking something. The -24Ps only cover a single CTIS electrical harness & nothing else.

Thanks in advance!

Last edited:

silverstate55

Unemployable
Steel Soldiers Supporter
In short I have rebuilt/serviced every CTIS part except for the 3 Safety Relief Valves that mount between each pair of tires side-to-side...I had the CTIS working briefly after cleaning up the pressure transducer, then the left front tire started going flat. I quickly aired it back up manually, shut the truck down, and heard air escaping from the front Safety Relief Valve mounted under the radiator.

At first I was hoping that this valve was able to be disassembled for cleaning, but after removing it I saw that it was sealed. Mine had a ton of rust from moisture sitting in it for quite some time, and the rust was holding the rubber flap valve open inside the sealed housing (it is pressed & crimped together, no way for me to get it apart without destroying it) which allowed the air to escape from the tire. Just in case, I pulled the axle vent, but no pressure escaped there, so the new hub seals I had installed on that axle end seem to be holding so far.

I was trying to look up part numbers & NSNs for these valves to try to find a replacement, but a search on eBay found what I was looking for...I used those numbers to try to search elsewhere for a comparable item, but the only other one I could find was available in Europe for 170 Euros plus shipping (OUCH).

But I was dumbfounded to see that I didn't have the proper -34P nor can I find a copy anywhere. Just curious what I'm missing!

Thanks!

Andyrv6av8r

Steel Soldiers Supporter
In short I have rebuilt/serviced every CTIS part except for the 3 Safety Relief Valves that mount between each pair of tires side-to-side...I had the CTIS working briefly after cleaning up the pressure transducer, then the left front tire started going flat. I quickly aired it back up manually, shut the truck down, and heard air escaping from the front Safety Relief Valve mounted under the radiator.]
The dump valve that you are referring to controls both front tires; it is common to both front tires. If only your left front is going flat, you have an issue with a wheel valve on that tire or a leaking o ring/turret valve. It's not the dump valve. It will dump pressure from the lines as the truck is shut down.

Last edited:

silverstate55

Unemployable
Steel Soldiers Supporter
The dump valve that you are referring to controls both front tires; it is common to both front tires. If only your left front is going flat, you have an issue with a wheel valve on that tire or a leaking o ring/turret valve. It's not the dump valve. It will dump pressure from the lines as the truck is shut down.
That's what I thought too, but I could hear air coming from this dump valve, and when I removed it I saw rust flakes & corrosion inside that were allowing air to escape (preventing proper operation). After removal, the tire stays inflated, and I had just cleaned/serviced the wheel turret as well as replaced all O-rings on that wheel a few days before. The two in the rear work fine, I'll replace the front valve when the replacement comes in & try again.

I knew I was in for a challenge when I rebuilt my air dryer...the truck was rebuilt to as-new in 2005, but when I won it at auction in 2014 it had less than 800 miles on odometer. It sat for a LOOOOONG time with moisture in CTIS lines/components. Everything I've taken apart to rebuild or service has had tons of corrosion inside. This valve seems to be another victim of it.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks