• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

A2 transmission thread

SuperJoe

Ive finally gotten the donor bus torn down enough to get excited about my deuce repower. 5.9 B series from a 1994 bluebird handy bus. Being as transmission would be the next part in line for forward progress, I need to know pros and cons of options i have. Also mounting availability.

1.) I have all the components to the stock 3053-a. I would assume I would need a new flywheel, and perhaps a new bell housing. Is there any thing else i would need to know before i audit this route. It would make easiest swap as mounts and drive components are already available. What kind of power will it hold? What is the preferred rpm.

2.) The bus came with an Allison at545. Its an auto and already mated. 4 speed but 1:1 final. This is a proven set up as i drove the bus straight to the saw for scrap. It however appears to be 8 inches longer give or take. This would require a T-case relocation. Im not opposed to this, but have not seen any write up on it. There must be a reason why no one has done it.

3.) Mercedes G56 6 speed manual with 2 OD gears. Used in med duty vehicles around the world since 2002 and used as the primary manual trans in the dodge ram since 2006. Longer still but the 5.9 is shorter than the LDT by about 6 inches so I could move the complete drive forward also.

Eventually the B series will get all the bells it can have to put it right at 450HP and a rev of aprox 4K rpm. Lets discuss these options into the ground please. Ive tried to contact others (no names as people get busy with life) about similar swaps but responses have been weak of few.

patracy

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
1.) You'll need a SAE flywheel, bellhousing. A 6BT will put out more torque than the 3053 was originally designed for.

2.) Not would you have to relocate the transfer case, but you'd also need to consider... length front driveshaft, shorten rear, loss of articulation in the rear, re-plumb the air line, speedo cable. And you're going to be way slower with the AT545.

3.) Best option IMHO.

clinto

Moderator, wonderful human being & practicing Deuc
Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Supporting Vendor
Are you going to have a front winch? How will it be powered? That plays into this as well, since the stock winch is driven off a PTO on the drivers side of the tranny.

SuperJoe

As of now i have all the winch pieces. I was reading a thread a while back about a guy that converted his to hydraulic. He used a pump on the pto and then an oil motor right under the winch. I was considering doing this, but i cannot find the thread again. It was part of a long list of well documented things he did to his truck. If i go that route i would have the PTO and propeller shaft to sell to offset the pump cost. It would also let me have expansion later. First thing though is the drive. Ive had this truck for a year and its only moved from the front to the back being towed.

With the idea of a transfer case relocation, how is it oiled? Is there a pump in the low side that oils the high side? Or is it splash oiled? If i move it, i would also like to clock it down a bit on the output to lessen drive shaft angles. Do The TM's have exploded view of parts assembly? Ill look for one and thatwill answer all of the Tcase questions if they do.

gimpyrobb

dumpsterlandingfromorbit!
I say option 3 with a hydro winch too. A trans with 2 OD gears would rock. The truck is "gear bound" in reference to speed, so now you know why I voted that way. Have you looked at the actual ratios in the gear boxes?

SuperJoe

My mistake. I was swapping info between the two i was comparing. There is only one OD.
I believe this is what i have, the old one. Im not sure how to verify this though

-----old , new
1- 6.29 , 5.94
2 - 3.48 , 3.28
3 - 2.10 , 1.98
4 - 1.38 , 1.31
5 - 1.00 , 1.00
6 - 0.79 , 0.74

R - 5.74 , 5.42

LowTech

Steel Soldiers Supporter
As of now i have all the winch pieces. I was reading a thread a while back about a guy that converted his to hydraulic. He used a pump on the pto and then an oil motor right under the winch. I was considering doing this, but i cannot find the thread again. It was part of a long list of well documented things he did to his truck.
Sounds like mister J Gato's build. His main thread is on Pirate 4x4 Here it's loaded w/ links both there and here.

SuperJoe

Thanks G. Thats is the exact thread i was talking about. It appears im already subscribed to it, however i can not find any of the threads i have subscribed to, with the new set up.

gringeltaube

Staff Member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
SuperJoe: you can see ALL your subscribed threads; 2nd under "Quick Links". (Although not clear yet how to find one of them in particular...)

G.

SuperJoe

SuperJoe: you can see ALL your subscribed threads; 2nd under "Quick Links". (Although not clear yet how to find one of them in particular...)

G.
There they are. Thanks so much. I was looking in my profile in the subscriptions. That area only shows what has been active since the change over.

m-35tom

Supporting Vendor
.74 OD will be a hardly noticable change. the 3053 has been used behind BB chev, 3208 cat, big cummins 7.3?? driven responsibly it will not break. the trans you already have and an od kit to .69 will be the easiest and highest OD.

tom

patracy

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Honestly there's no point in spending the extra money on an OD with a 5.9 Cummins. They will turn 4K rpm with nothing more than a gov spring change as you alluded to.

Running the numbers. Stock gearing, 9.00 tires, 4K rpms = 92mph!

SuperJoe

Thats exactly how i feel about it Patracy. Im not worried about final gearing as much as not scattering it across the road if i dump the clutch to quickly. Besides i doubt anyone with that swap would still run the 9s. Im leaning towards the 16s.

Tom could i use the flywheel and clutch set up from the deuce if i keep the 3053 and mate it to the 5.9?

m-35tom

Supporting Vendor
no, but a new flywheel is just over $200 made in canada. you would need a different clutch. with the ratio the 16's would give, you might just want to keep the auto. if it didn't satisfy it could be swaped later.

tom

SuperJoe

no, but a new flywheel is just over $200 made in canada. you would need a different clutch. with the ratio the 16's would give, you might just want to keep the auto. if it didn't satisfy it could be swaped later.

tom
If this is a viable way to go, i feel i must do it. I want to get this thing rumblin down the road soon. Tom could you please let me know where in Canada to get the flywheel. I am pretty sure I have the SAE#3 housing mating my 545. Then i would just need to find a clutch that would accommodate the power level i feel I will have. Also when turned up what do you feel a safe level of power for the trans would be. I dont want to put twin turbo set up at 550HP if the 3053 will only hold 350HP

gringeltaube

Staff Member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Even at 350 Hp you probably have over 600 lb-ft @ 1600 rpm. That's a LOT of torque! Your Spicer may hold up to that figure - or not - depending its condition... and the driver's, of course!

Good luck finding a clutch strong enough, that would fit into that SAE#3 housing.

G.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks