• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

A3 front end shake above 45.....

Hooper

I know there are threads about this but I can't seem to find them. I have tried to swap tires around and it has not changed. It feels like it is in the steering.

gimpyrobb

dumpsterlandingfromorbit!
Check "toe in" and king pin bushings. MAybe make sure the steering box bolts are tight. I have seen the drag link needing adjustment too. Are the tires tread cupped? Etc

Lieutenant
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I had a minor shaking issue with mine at roughly 40-45mph. It didn't do it all the time though. Since my CTIS wasn't working and I didn't plan on fixing it or using it in the future I just removed the CTIS crap from the fronts and have not had an issue since.

Hooper

I will check all these things this weekend. I'm torn on the CTIS. I like things like that to be somewhat original, I just wish it was more reliable.

m816

Hey Gimpy, I have an A2 here at the shop that has a slight shimmy at about the same speed. Goes away if I push it above fity/fifty five. I'm not sure about adjusting the shims on the king pins, I've never done that. I think if I do one side, I have to do the same thing on the other side? Is that right. I checked the play on the steering box and tie rods are good. Never done toe in on one either. Give us some pointers please. Not trying to hijack any thread but it goes with this I think

wsucougarx

2/4 of my trucks have a pretty good harmonic bounce at certain speeds. Tires don't seem to change anything. My M923 doesn't like 40-42. My M109A3 doesn't like 30-34. They bounce around like crazy despite tires, alignment, and drivers.

motomacguyver

Cut and paste from a different post.

I had my CTIS stuff off the wheel and weighed the components at the grocery store.

The cover 3.57 lbs
The counter weight 2.82 lbs
The wheel valve with fittings and hoses. 1.75 lbs
4 lug nuts 1.38 lbs
4 regular nuts .45 lbs.

So if we figure (guess) 75 % of the cover weight (because it is pie shaped and most of the mass is at the outer edge)

2.6775 lbs
valve assm. 1.75
lug nuts 1.38

equals 5.8075 lbs.

minus 2.82 lbs for the counter weight

leaves a 2.9875 lb imbalance.

So, if you replace all of the lug nuts on the CTIS side of the wheel with regular size nuts (JUST THE ONES THAT HOLD ON COVERS OR VALVES). Than put all the lug nuts on the other side. That should get the imbalance down to around 2/3 of a pound. Still heavy on the wheel valve side though.
I think car guys use weights in 1/4 ounce increments or less. (for comparison) This is the very first thing I would do to help tame the wobble. The A2 guys probably don't have wobble due to NO CTIS

gringeltaube

Staff Member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
....... The A2 guys probably don't have wobble due to NO CTIS
Oh yes we have....; and usually starting at 40mph and over..., although not to such extremes as the A3's do.

On the front axle, all possible unbalance plus run-out, combined (drums + wheels + aged NDCC tires) can simply be too much; causing wheel hop at least, and sure ending as shimmy if anything related to the steering got enough play.

Message to all: (Even if the military didn't care) - KEEP YOUR WHEELS /TIRES BALANCED: it reduces wear and fatigue of front axle and steering components and enhances everyone's SAFETY!

G.

steve6x6x6

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Cut and paste from a different post.

I had my CTIS stuff off the wheel and weighed the components at the grocery store.

The cover 3.57 lbs
The counter weight 2.82 lbs
The wheel valve with fittings and hoses. 1.75 lbs
4 lug nuts 1.38 lbs
4 regular nuts .45 lbs.

So if we figure (guess) 75 % of the cover weight (because it is pie shaped and most of the mass is at the outer edge)

2.6775 lbs
valve assm. 1.75
lug nuts 1.38

equals 5.8075 lbs.

minus 2.82 lbs for the counter weight

leaves a 2.9875 lb imbalance.

So, if you replace all of the lug nuts on the CTIS side of the wheel with regular size nuts (JUST THE ONES THAT HOLD ON COVERS OR VALVES). Than put all the lug nuts on the other side. That should get the imbalance down to around 2/3 of a pound. Still heavy on the wheel valve side though.
I think car guys use weights in 1/4 ounce increments or less. (for comparison) This is the very first thing I would do to help tame the wobble. The A2 guys probably don't have wobble due to NO CTIS
All of these items do not weight the same because they are at different raduis on the wheel. I set up a hub to staic balance and added 14 ounce of equal, from 0 to 62 MPH is smooth as silk, better than any car.

Lieutenant
Steel Soldiers Supporter
All of these items do not weight the same because they are at different raduis on the wheel. I set up a hub to staic balance and added 14 ounce of equal, from 0 to 62 MPH is smooth as silk, better than any car.
I still have the CTIS components on the rear tires and it doesn't seem to have any ill effects on the ride. Did you balance all of the tires or just the fronts?

Hooper

Kind of ressurecting an old thread, but did you ever resolve your issue?

Not exactly. The research I did lead me to the tires being out of balance. I was going to have them bead balanced but decided to sell the truck and buy a M923A1 instead. Best thing ever, the 923 is awesome, no CTIS=no vibrations. The guy who bought my A3 was an onion farmer and vibration issues at top speed did not concern him. There are several threads in here where people have made additional weights to fit behind the counter weight, and there is a thread which has you add 6 lug nuts in key places. Hope this helps.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks