• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

A3 Tire Source

I'm a rookie here preparing for my first recovery of an A3. Thanks to a great SS member who assessed my truck I learned four tires are dry rotted and need replacement. Anyone know of a good source for 365/80R20's preferably in Texas, or the south?

WillWagner

The Person You Were Warned About As A Child
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
HundredDollarMan out here in Lucerne, Ca probably has some. PM him, he might know of someone out that way.

Thanks 4x and SHM, for the options. I have been searching all day and did come across Expedition Imports but not Berg. It seems that Unimog's run similar tires as the A3's. Then I started scouting out Unimog sites for any crumb's leading me to good sources. I learned those folks have a bias towards the Conti's as they say they are quieter and the XZL's get louder with age. On Monday I have a list of suppliers to call. I'll keep you posted on the outcome.

Rustygears

Beware of those stock Michelins with old date codes. Your rotted tires, like many of the replacements you'll find surplus have DOT date codes that are over 10 years old. These tires don't age well and don't take abuse like a truck sitting on a flat for a long period. Such conditions ruin the sidewalls and are compounded by the tire compound used that decays relatively quickly when sitting outside for a decade.

I would strongly recommend buying brand new tires and not the Michelins. You probably can't find new mich's anyway and IMHO that's just as well. The Continental MPT-81 is available in 365/80R20 which is the modern way to specify the 14.5R20 MPT tire. It is important to be sure the bead is type MPT to correctly fit the A3 rim. Earlier in this thread somebody recommended Expedition Imports. That company is a authorized Continental tire dealer and stocks the conti MPT-81 in the correct size. They are in the SF bay area and with tax and shipping, they were able to ship me from stock two brand new tires cheaper than I could get from my local dealer, even when shipping costs were considered. The date codes on the new tires are 2011 and they have US MIL stock numbers cast in the sidewalls. My research shows that these are the tires NATO now uses for that size and they are also used on mil Unimogs. I mounted the two myself. Please search the posts for the A3 tire discussions regarding mounting, selection, date codes and the dangers of having rotten tires on an A3. If you are on the highway and a front blows, the truck will very likely roll and you are most certainly dead. No joke. Check the posts.

Rageing Deuce

Hey

I just did my first and Second Recoveries within a week, i hope your Recovery goes a H&%$ of a lot smother then mine. lol :lol:

Sorry i have no addvise about the tires. I am new at this also.

Goog Luck :cool:

jaymcb

If you're in NY, I have 5 serviceable michelin xl's for an A3 up here in Massachusetts. One of them was an A3 spare that has 0 miles on it.

I can't speak to the date codes, but the tires look good from a visual inspection. I would not suggest using tires which were sat on flat, which is why I wouldn't sell my front axle tires.

Rustygears

Tires will have very significant and visible cracks (not just weather checking). However, there are separate posts and discussion threads (please search for them) that describe severely rotten tires that looked fine from outside but were cracked and rotten INSIDE. That could only be seen if you dismounted the tire (yuck). There were pictures posted in that thread. In my case, I could stack pennies in the sidewall cracks. The tires were covered in tire black when I bought it, so the rot wasn't visible and I drove it over a hundred miles on some of California's busiest freeways. It was my right front steer tire and by the other accounts on this site, I should be dead. I've now replaced both fronts with the Conti MPT-81s and I'm hoping Ms. SantaGears will give me another axle pair for Christmas. I intend to get rid of all the Michelins on my truck. They all have 1995 date codes. I moved tires around and put the old L front on a rear axle to get rid of a worse condition tire and have two fresh ones on the front.

Please read up on DOT date codes (google it) and check ANY tire you intend to put on your truck. Someone told me that its law that you cannot have tires more than 8yrs old on a commercial vehicle. Don't know if that is fact, but I know understand why.

Rusty, great info. I ran across your name on several other posts regarding tires and they were equally helpful. I am totally with you on getting new tires for the steer wheels, it's very, very cheap insurance policy. Also, I will definitely stick with the stock tire size too. Especially after reading some posts from gringeltaube. He included some nice images of mismatched tire rim combinations. And I definitely prefer my tire bead to sit properly on the rim! So with that said, what is the best, and most reasonable vendor to pick up a set of MPT-81's from? Do you mind sharing how much you paid for your new MPT (365/80R20's).

Rustygears

In August I paid $1390.24 for two MPT-81 tires from EI. The truck freight fee to ship from SF to the San Diego freight terminal was $123.96. Add another $127 for the corrupt governor and total was $1641.01 for two brand new tires. One was date coded feb 2011 and the other was apr 2011. The tires were shipped 2-up on a pallet wrapped in Saran wrap. The freight folks forklifted the pallet into my old pickup truck and I was all set. I will do this again for the next axle set. EI worked for me. I have since found out that Costco is also a conti authorized dealer and I will call them to see if they can order. I know the tires are stocked in Continental's Riverside, Ca warehouse.

I discussed this with my local truck tire dealer who has gotten all my business for the past 15 years and he said he wasn't able to get those tires from conti under his dealer agreement. Maybe your local guy can?

BadMastard

Don't forget patracy. He does tires all day long and has been a great source of information. I really really love my 395's though, and it makes the A3 a lot more drivable. If you were closer, I'd have a couple you could use, but you're about as not local as you can get. SOrry!

goodguyzy

That is a good piece of advice, the A3 tranny is only a 4 speed and the smaller tires limit you to about 45 mph. If your going to spend the money get the 395. They are actually cheaper and you will get a better top speed.

Rustygears

The clearance on the rear duals is pretty tight with 395s. Lots of discussion in other posts. It might be ok for a bob-job, but I'd be wary for a original dual rear truck, especially if there was even a remote chance of ever going off-road.

spicergear

The Unimog Exchange is also a good source for tires. Usually a couple of posts with guys selling 12.5R 20's, 365's, or 14.5R 20's. Usually Conti's or Michelins.

patracy

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
The clearance on the rear duals is pretty tight with 395s. Lots of discussion in other posts. It might be ok for a bob-job, but I'd be wary for a original dual rear truck, especially if there was even a remote chance of ever going off-road.
There's been many tandemed rear trucks with 395's that are off road. Mud and trail riding, no problem. Maybe in rocky stuff you might get tire contact. I've never personally had an issue on any of our trucks.

BadMastard

Oh, the great tire debate! I love this one!

In the revered days of our forefathers, the many cried out for bigger tires. Hearing their pleas, the mighty minions of rubber created ----

Bigger tires.

And it was good. Some heathens spoke harshly of the bigger tires. You don't need them. They shall fail you in dark times. They are sacrilege of the greatest order, you must repent. Or you must bob. Or you must space them, but their derision went unheeded.

Then there were dark times. And lo, the tires held! This brought great joy to the mighty tire owners, and the nations wept for joy of their bigger tires.

Here ends the story, but I must warn you. Covet not your bigger tires less they come with the wrong rims. This may be your doom. Be of good rim my brothers, be of good rim.

And BadMastard, prophet of the bigger tires turned and drove over the sunset. And most other obstacles. Never did his tires meet the other.

Last edited: