• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

A3 tire work in Massachusetts

BadMastard

lol. your mileage may vary- translates to your experience may be different.

Yep, agreed on the triangular shape, mine were true round o rings. Bit thicker, but sold black o rings.

Oh, that's the kicker. You need a huge torque wrench, probably 3/4" or 1". The 1/2" wrenches I see go to about 250. You can fudge it a bit by knowing what the torque range on your impact gun is at each setting. One of mine is 450 lbs, so I use that setting at 90 psi.

Does that help?

jaymcb

Well, I found a CTIS head unit whose price I could swallow. I plugged it in, and viola, I had a functional display.

I read the TM, and it said it tests every 30 minutes. I set it to 'highway' and went for a 30 mile drive. The listed tire pressure on my 395's never went above 40PSI. Isn't it supposed to raise the pressure to 45PSI if it is set to 'highway'? Got a solid 95-100PSI on my air pressure.

BadMastard

Hey Jaymcb,

Totally know how you feel. Been there, done that. If all your tires are at the same pressure then your CTIS main body is probably off on pressure. Something else you said though might have a small bearing on it. My air pressure runs consistently at 110-120 psi. If you don't have enough pressure in your system, your ctis might be shutting off the air too soon to inflate your tires.

Try airing one tire down to 30 or so, and run your ctis. If the pressure doesn't increase, it might be your source. If it does, and stops at 40 again, probably your main body. If it's your main body, well, you can try to clean it. After that, it's replacement time.

Basically if it doesn't air up at all, it means your critical systems cutoff is working, which shuts down CTIS at 75lbs of air supply pressure.

treeguy

Where did you guys come up with the 425 - 475 foot pounds number for torquing the rim nuts? Just wondering because I found a TM for the LMTV's that describe wheel assembly and it says between 210 - 240 foot pounds. I just did six (wheels) of mine at 240 and let me tell you how much fun it was with a 1/2" torque wrench! Not!!!!

Vintage iron

I guess it would depend on if you use bead locks or not. My 1600's were a bear. I had to use a 1" gun to get mine tight. Not sure of the torque, but these are tight as tight can be! Treeguy I hope you will post some pictures up of those adapters you made and the finished product.

treeguy

Yes, I have the internal bead locks. It is the metal band type with the rubber edges where it contacts the bead internally. (not the run flats) Check the "Official Deuce Aftermarket Wheel Thread" a little later and I'll post pictures of the final product. (My design and parts are in no way an Official Aftermarket Wheel. I was trying to contribute to that thread and everyone else seems to have abandon ship on its original topic.)

DownRange762

For what it's worth, attached are some pictures of a successful non-ether re-mounting of a super single tire on the A3 rim. As others noted before, PLENTY of tire lube packed around the rim as you would if you were repacking wheel bearings, plus a couple of carge straps, plug putting the rim on blocks (not shown) so the tire isn't on the ground and you really can get the bead to seat without an explosion.

Although a bit of air escaped past the tire lube at one point, my smaller compressor was still putting air in faster than it was bleeding out so the bead did seat. No "pop" as the tire/rim were very well lubed. Valve stem was in for those interested.

Can't quite see, but a good 3/8" to 1/2" of lube squeeze out as the bead moved towards the outer edge of the wheel rim. Shows you how big the gap was, I can see why air blasters have a problem with these tires. Also, you can recover the tire lube for future use....like for the next six wheels I need to look at. And don't forget to replace the "O" ring.
Not passing judgment on the ether mounting style, but 1) didn't have any ether and 2) at $600+ for used replacement super singles, I thought I'd try this first.

Attachments

Last edited: