• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

A3 transmission replacement questions

mactiredearg

It seems to me as if you are taking a more expensive truck and basically making it a less expensive truck, ...
I get your point, really I do.

But the only way this truck gets sold is by bankruptcy court order or when it is completely unrepairable. My girls would _kill_ me if I sold it. Even my wife likes it (but wont admit that in public). The quad bunk for the girls with double bed for the misses and I is perfect for our uses.

But I'm spending far more time fixing it than tricking it out. This tranny has already stranded me once. That makes me nervous trusting it again given my use for the truck.

rustystud

I understand your trepidation in using the tranny. I actually prefer automatics as I was factory trained at "Allison" and know what these trannys are capable of. I also have years repairing manuals and know what they are also capable of doing. When I was still in the Marines, I had to drive a small platoon out to the demolition range. The clutch linkage broke and I was unable to shift. The lieutenant in charge was not pleased and said I would get them back to base "whatever it took". I was able to start the truck in low range and shift gears using engine speed to gauge my shifts. Of course every time I had to stop I had to shut-off the engine. Thankfully the batteries where fully charged !!! Needless to say I got everyone back to base. Manuals are versatile units. So it really just comes back to personal preference, and in my case bad knees. That's why I converted my 1ton dually to an automatic. If you do go with a manual, you can get the overdrive gears and go a lot faster !!!

Gls169

I been two month dealing with this tranny it is in a trens shop now they had it for 5 weekks trying to put a 545 in it in place of the 1545

tobyS

I been two month dealing with this tranny it is in a trens shop now they had it for 5 weekks trying to put a 545 in it in place of the 1545
This is an old thread. Do you have a question?

The 545 should directly replace the 1545. They are the same except the military had Allsion put in a locking torque converter, making it a rare, but rebuild-able bird.

Check and see if it has the PTO spur gear and if it does, you can buy my PTO with pump to run that winch you want real bad!

Attachments

simp5782

Feo, Fuerte y Formal
Supporting Vendor
Does it have the torque converter with the pedestal mounts on it? vs one that does not?

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks