• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Aahhhhhh!!!

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
The real annoyance comes when you try to loosen the 1-1/2 inch outer nut, but after the first turn, the rust grabs hold, and the inner budd nut decides it wants to come off of the perfectly rust free inner stud. Then things get interesting.

-Chuck
2 ways to deal with that. 1st is a pickle. It's a short little wrench that you put on the outer nut and use a sq drive to drive out the inner nut. Other way is the geared wrench. The plantary gear rides on the sun gear which is secured to the budd cap.

stumps

The geared wrench is the only way to go!
I've always wanted one. Anybody know where I can get a nice used one for a cheap guy's price?

In the meantime, I have just suffered through with a 3/4 inch impact wrench pressured up so high it should blow up, or an old Craftsman 3/4 inch ratchet with a 6 foot pipe on the handle. Oh yeah, and a garden shovel to move the wheels up and down into alignment.

-Chuck

pjpiche1

The easiest way I have found to deal with this problem is to drive my truck over to a shop that works on large trucks/heavy equipment. Give the guy in the back some beer money to break them loose with a 1" gun on 140 psi. Put anti-seize back on the lugs before you re tighten them. It will be money well spent. You may possibly have a new friend.

2 ways to deal with that. 1st is a pickle. It's a short little wrench that you put on the outer nut and use a sq drive to drive out the inner nut. Other way is the geared wrench. The plantary gear rides on the sun gear which is secured to the budd cap.
We always called the short wrench a pork chop, it is kinda shaped like one.
As for the geared lug wrench, I just bought one on E-bay for 27 bucks, the first one that I bought was $100. I think you can get them from Ken-tool or they have them at Northern Supply for $400.

doghead

4 Star General /Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
A search for "porkchop" should yield this same info, from about a year ago.

jollyroger

I had a similar problem when I singled out my deuce. I broke a 1/2 to 3/4 Snap-On adaptor. I knew I was in trouble when that happened. Then the Budd lugs started to spin before the outter lug nuts. I got so hacked off I went to Harbor Freight and bought the 1500ft.lb. 1" gun, the 1/2" hose and fittings and the socket set that has the square drive inside the lug socket. I spent around $300. Then I wondered why I had not done this years ago.

keway

hey thanks folks, i'll go down the list starting with the tools i have.
question about the porkchop. i assume i put that on before i put the outer tire back on?

stumps

hey thanks folks, i'll go down the list starting with the tools i have.
question about the porkchop. i assume i put that on before i put the outer tire back on?
The only time you will need the pork chop is if trying to remove the 1-1/2 inch nut makes the square headed budd thimble rotate. You would then remove all of the other 1-1/2 inch nuts, and using the pork chop to hold the 1-1/2 inch nut, spin the square budd thimble (tighten) all the way in, releasing it from the nut.

-Chuck

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks