• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

AAR GT Gathering IX

papabear

GA Mafia Imperial 1SG
I've been busy with personal business in KY and only got home early this morning.
I've seen some chatter and even a complaint about Gathering IX, but I think (hope) that complaint was a misunderstanding.

Anyhoo, I hope everyone that attended will jump in here and post their pics and experiences. I certainly had a good time with some good folks.
The last estimate I heard was between 275-300 folks counting dependents, with 3 Guntrucks and one Gunjeep.

My camera memory card is MIA with lots of pics so these are all I have for now. I hope others will share here as I have seen LOTS of pics on the GT site:

Attachments

gimpyrobb

dumpsterlandingfromorbit!
My only complaint is that it happened during the national convention! I had tickets to that before I knew they were the same date. I will get there one of these times, mark my words!

wreckerman893

Possum Connoisseur
PB.....Glad to have ya back......looks like a great event.

Do they have a place for next years event yet? If not I have a place in NE AL that would be great.

Our American Leigon Post is moving to a new location adjacent to a marina and camp ground.

We would love to host a MV related event such as this.

I will prob host "Wreckerman's Spring Fling" there next spring.

Let me know and we can make the arrangements.

papabear

GA Mafia Imperial 1SG
PB.....Glad to have ya back......looks like a great event.
Do they have a place for next years event yet? If not I have a place in NE AL that would be great.
Our American Leigon Post is moving to a new location adjacent to a marina and camp ground.
We would love to host a MV related event such as this.
I will prob host "Wreckerman's Spring Fling" there next spring.
Let me know and we can make the arrangements.
WM I am not on the planning committee but I believe the ladies mentioned two possible locations in VA for next year.

I can ask and forward your email address if you would like??

zout

Thanks for posting pics PB - not being able to get away much and see someone doing what they like to do is great.
I know I looked forward to seeing some photo's - I very seldom get chances to depart from here as well for long stretches.

I did start a thread just to have some fun and I hope this was not taken the wrong way or misunderstood - just having a little mess with PB time. I apologize if it was taken the wrong way.

Hope you find the other package of photo's soon.

73m819

Rock = older than dirt , GA. MAFIA , Dirty
Steel Soldiers Supporter
In Memorial
The GATHERING was outstanding, met some really GREAT MEN, listening to there stories was a WOW, to see the look on the LT. (Jim ) looking at the PROUD AMERICAN, he was the CC and on the Proud American when it got hit, lost a arm in that action, this was the first year he saw it, about brought tears.

Another highlight of the gathering was Fri. night at the main sit down, the standing up and saying the name of a GT crew member that died and how in combat or later on in life (most were in combat),NOT a dry eye, very hard to listen to.

It was interesting that about 99% would do it again today if it was needed without being asked, just like in Nam where thay put there charges safety BEFORE the safety of there own lives. these guys are TRUE HEROS.

When I was in Nam, I did a bunch of stuff, saw action, BUT NOTHING like what these guys saw, took part in, EVERYDAY. If someone was in trouble on the road, the only way to keep these guys in camp was to shoot them, because thay would mount up and go to ambush with no thought of there own safety.
One time a call for help came in, a GT was down because of NO BRAKES that fired up to go, was told thay can't go because no brakes, the response was "we only have to stop once" as thay drove out the gate.
I could go on and on and on.

All I can say that I was humbled being in the mist of these MEN, looking of pics of them in Vietnam thay all looked so YOUNG like kids, but they were MEN even back then.

THANK YOU PB FOR TAKING ME ALONG

Last edited:

Srjeeper

Great time had by all.....

I was fortunate like '73m819' to be in the company of PB and the CAMO crew again this year. Was good to see old friends from past Gaterings and make new ones along the way. For those that have never attended one, it's more of a reunion than a show type event, so maybe that's where some of the confusion occured.

I could go on and on about the folks I met, the stories I heard and how brave these men were and still are, but that's their story to tell not mine.

So here's my pictures..enjoy..[thumbzup]

Gathering IX - Louisville pictures by OlJake - Photobucket

papabear

GA Mafia Imperial 1SG
Those are some nice pics Srjeeper!:D

I gotta tell you, when the LT and Calvin signed off on Proud American after their inspection I had to hide behind the truck for a minute to regain my military bearing.

When they announced Gathering X will be held in VA I sorta thought...that's too far...BUT....aua

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks