• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

AAR Mobility Shop Container - 3 Phase Conversion Questions

ksumole

I picked up a pretty decent AAR Mobility Shop Container this week. We are planning on using it as a vet shack for our small family ranch feedlot.

I knew it was set up to receive 3-phase power at the female connector port on the outside of the container. All of the lights and switches inside are labeled 12 volt...(scratching my head)

I have researched the static power converters that provide a 3-phase current off of single phase power. I'm finding that most of these converters require 220v AC as the initial source of power. While that is not a big issue as we have 220 single phase available on site to power our hydraulic chute, I'd sure like to just be able to use standard 110v ac to power this container.

Do I have other options or are there modifications i can do to the breaker box inside the container to simply switch over to good old 110v AC single phase? All I want to do is have functioning lights, and possibly run a small refrigerator. I will cross the heating and cooling bridge later.

Thanks for any input or suggestions.

Attachments

NDT

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Tie all three phases together and connect to the 110 volt black wire. Connect the 110 volt white wire to the neutral buss.

Mos68x

Yup, what /\ he said. Just keep in mind that if you have a bunch of stuff powered up in the container that you'll need a 30/50A cable to power it, the standard extension cords are only rated for about 15A.

quickfarms

It is easy just make shore you check all of the wire terminations to make shore you do not have any hot bare wires.

Make shore each circuit you are using are protected by a single phase breaker

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

ksumole

DSC_1598.jpgDSC_1599.jpg After following the instructions above I was able to get this container up and running in about an hour... Discovered part of the lights are wired for 12v dc and the rest of the shelter is wired for 120v AC.. so using a battery charger for the 12vdc at the moment until I can wire in a small DC transformer to power those additional lights. All the ballasts and starters were out on the florescent fixtures except for one lonely bulb... probably going to switch out the fixtures completely and add LED Bulbs...

Mos68x

Great work! You can also put a battery in there for the DC stuff, and use the battery charger to keep the battery charged.

Guyfang

Staff member
The 24 volt lights were nice when we hit the field location. We could set up shop ASAP, and if it took a while to get a cable ran, we could still read TM's, find parts and all that stuff. It ran off the truck 24 volt system. You should find the cable that ran down to the battery box, under the container.