• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Aargh! Headlight fuse keeps blowing

Whit

Guys:

On my 1984 M1009 I have faithfully followed everyone's recommendations for cleaning up the electical system including:

1) Cleaning and policing up the fuse block - all new fuses to spec.
2) Filing (i.e brightening the metal) and reconnecting the grounds at the front driver and passenger sides, and inside the cab just above the parking brake.
3) Insulating the harness leading through the firewall (could not see if it was chafed but it was laying on top of a metal seam which was part of the heater mechanism).
4) Cleaning the blackout and service light switches (pulled off the connectors, filed, cleaned and sprayed them down, then reconnected)
5) Replaced dimmer switch on column (that now works)

Here's my issue: I keep blowing the 30 amp unmarked headlight fuse (item #7 on the fuse box schematic frequently posted here).

At idle the headlights WILL go on, and also the high beams, and the tail and turn lights work fine UNTIL I get 1 couple hundred yards down the road and the fuse goes pop. Then I lose headlights, turn signals and flashers. Bottom line: I can't legally drive the thing after dark.

With a fresh fuse in it drives fine: flashers, brakes, etc. But while driving as soon as I put the headlights on the fuse will pop.

Not sure to do next other than crawl into the fetal position. Any ideas?

Thanks in advance

Whit

Grega

Does the fuse blow on low beams or does it do it on high and low? Check connections at the headlight. Not for sure if would help, but maybe change the headlights.

Whit

Grega:

You are a genius! I pulled the front battery to access the front pax side headlight connections and there it was staring up at me: two wires that had rubbed against each other and the bottom of the battery tray, so that the insulation had worn off. The wiring was bright and shiny with black burn marks on the adjacent insulation. Six inches of electrical tape later and problem solved!

Now on to other projects. That one had me stumped for a while.

Thank you.

Whit

Grega

Good to hear that you found you problem and Glad that I know that I have helped someone on the the Steel soldiers site. There are lots of others that have given advice to me for my m1009. My M1009 would have gave alot more grey hair if it wasnt for this site.
Thanks for the complement. Greg