• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

AB15 for CB setup

cucv1833

Sorry to hear about that. Looks like you got it all covered I believe its supposed to work with only the grounding plate but.......
I see your extra ground wire is looped back to the grounding plate.

Mabe you can get a longer wire and run it from the clamp on the connector to another location just as as test. Key the mike once or twice and then move it somewhere else and try again. If that dont work Im at a lost.

Right or wrong I ran the yellow wire in my picture inside the truck to a solid bolt. My CB was doing the exact same thing. Thats what worked for me. Just a thought.

Attachments

Last edited:

ramcatdoc

That's a good idea. I'll try that tomorrow and get back to y'all. I really appreciate the help y'all have been. It'll be great when it finally works! [thumbzup]

ramcatdoc

UGH!

I tried the ground wire on several bolts inside the truck. I tried floor bolts in several places. Even wrapped it around the latch post on the door frame. NO signal at all.

Soooooo....

Not sure what to try next. I guess I could try a new cable altogether. Is there any chance i could have a "bad"antenna? Seems to me if it all fits together, it should be OK, right?

Thanks, everyone.

cucv1833

How are you all attaching the whip when you want it down? or bent down?
Im using 550 cord tied in a hitch on the end of the antenna which is tied to the passenger side brush gaurd. I have extra slack to tighten and loosen as needed.

When I go in the woods I cinch in down a lot more so it does not get caught on branches.

I have already broke off a section of antenna. If your were to go in the woods alot it would be better to put the mount foward on the bed and tie the Ant. to the rear bumber. Ive seen a lot of pics of that on here.

Attachments

Last edited:

camp9

550 cord??? You'll have to help me with that one. I'll be using it on my M1009, and it has the mount right behind the passenger door. I can see where that antenna would be more pron to break than a stainless whip. But it sure fits the truck. I ordered another to put on my A3.

cucv1833

550 cord??? You'll have to help me with that one. I'll be using it on my M1009, and it has the mount right behind the passenger door. I can see where that antenna would be more pron to break than a stainless whip. But it sure fits the truck. I ordered another to put on my A3.

:shock: You dont know what 550/parachute cord is? I keep the stuff everywhere.
Look it up they sell it everywhere. sounds like you can tie it to the rear bumber. Check out these threads I did a search for you. Good Luck

http://www.steelsoldiers.com/cucv/76014-cb-radio-install-need-some-ideas.html?highlight=antenna+tie
http://www.steelsoldiers.com/cucv/7...nna-tie-down-point.html?highlight=antenna+tie
http://www.steelsoldiers.com/cucv/64894-m1009-whip-antenna-tie-down.html?highlight=antenna+tie
http://www.steelsoldiers.com/cucv/46928-where-tie-tie-up-rope-cucv.html?highlight=antenna+tie
http://www.steelsoldiers.com/cucv/55404-antenna-tie-down.html?highlight=antenna+tie

Attachments

camp9

:) Were pretty isolated up here ya know. rofl Thanks for the info, I'll have to get some of that. Was thinking about using some baler twine, but that isn't green.

ramcatdoc

I use 550 cord or similar. My mounts are just aft of the doors so my antennas point aft. My truck already had a clamp screwed into the Starboard quarter panel. I put a similar one on the other side. Keeps me from having to tie to the bumper rings. I have seen pix of an antenna tied to both sides of the truck, too with the cord in an inverted V.

I found the military issue clip that clips to the antenna and is knotted to the cord. Just G--gle "military antenna tie-down" and you should be able to find them.

I run with my antennas pulled down aft. I have the round plastic guards on them so nobody gets hurt if they run into them. Usually, though they're well up above eye level. I can also move them forward and tie them to the brush guard, which helps if I am parking in a low parking garage. Pulled all the way down that way, they still don't stick out past the front of the truck.

nattieleather

Do you have a continuity tester or a VOM? What you want to check for is a short. Test the coax for connectivity on the inner wire and then on the shield mak sure you get a good light on the tester or a direct short on the meter. Then test between the inner wire and the shield to see if the coax is shorting out. You don't want the inner and outer making a connection. Then do he same thing on the antenna its self. Pull the LP-259 off and check the center connector of the SO-239 and the antenna for connectivity and the same with the ground (the threads) and the body of the truck and then between the threads and the antenna. Again you don't want it to make a connection between the two.

What you want to see is a connection between the inner piece on the coax and a good connection between the outer pieces but not between both and same with the antenna a good connection between the where the coax hooks up and the atenna and the outer threads and the body ground but not between the two.

Also make sure that your radio its self is grounded to the body also. That will help with the signal.

If you have any more questions or problems you can PM me.

ramcatdoc

OK, y'all, here's an update.

I have tested my antenna for continuity. I have continuity the length of the cable. The antenna itself is painted, military issue paint job, I'm sure. I can only get continuity in the antenna base and whip if I back the whip out a bit and test the bare copper. Is that a problem?

I also get some continuity from the positive post on the coax cable and the cap. I think this should be open, shouldn't it?

I've PM'd Nattieleather, but any others should feel free to add their 2cents!

ramcatdoc

Just an update to let y'all know I have my CB set up, tuned, and operating. Attached are some pictures.

Thanks to all of you for your help, large and small.

The main issue I had turned out to be a short in the antenna cable, which was brand new. With a voltmeter, a lot of coaching, and some logic, I was able to isolate the problem and replace the cable.

The moral is: if at first you don't succeed, ask for help, scratch your head, and sleep on it for a while.

:deadhorse:

Attachments

ramcatdoc

Lookin' good Allan! ID be curious to know how that long whip works for you. Did you do an SWR pairing check on it?

The whip works well. I did use a meter to check the SWR. This radio comes with one built-n that seems to work well. I had to cut the end section of the mast (MS-118 ) a few inches to make the whole thing from the bottom of the base to the tip about 110 inches. SWR nearly 1:1 in the higher channels. Around 1:1.9 in channel 1. As I understand it, that means the whip is a tad short. I can lengthen it slightly by unscrewing the antenna sections some. But I'm happy with what I have.

tennmogger

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Your logic is correct, the antenna is on the verge of too short. You could add a tuning stub by selecting a brass screw that will screw tightly inside the cut off end. With a little ingenuity you might add a split nut there to maintain tension, braze it on, or solder. Just a couple of inches would probably pull the sweet spot of the tuning back into the band.

Congrats! You have succeeded with a job that many have tried and failed.

The whip works well. I did use a meter to check the SWR. This radio comes with one built-n that seems to work well. I had to cut the end section of the mast (MS-118 ) a few inches to make the whole thing from the bottom of the base to the tip about 110 inches. SWR nearly 1:1 in the higher channels. Around 1:1.9 in channel 1. As I understand it, that means the whip is a tad short. I can lengthen it slightly by unscrewing the antenna sections some. But I'm happy with what I have.

andytk5

Just an update to let y'all know I have my CB set up, tuned, and operating. Attached are some pictures.

Thanks to all of you for your help, large and small.

The main issue I had turned out to be a short in the antenna cable, which was brand new. With a voltmeter, a lot of coaching, and some logic, I was able to isolate the problem and replace the cable.

The moral is: if at first you don't succeed, ask for help, scratch your head, and sleep on it for a while.

:deadhorse:
Ramcatdoc - I have the same side mount on my 1009 and just got my AB15 base in. I saw you have a plate that the ab15 mounts to that mounts to the truck mount. Where did you get that plate or did you fab one up?

ramcatdoc

Ramcatdoc - I have the same side mount on my 1009 and just got my AB15 base in. I saw you have a plate that the ab15 mounts to that mounts to the truck mount. Where did you get that plate or did you fab one up?
Yeah, I had a local machinist fab two pieces for me. The first is the roughly 5x5 inch square on the mounting bracket. I made him a cardboard template with outlines for the four bolts and the center hole. I already had the mount intended for the AB15, but felt it was much easier to add the plate to the existing mount than to put a new mount on the truck. I used this mount to outline the center hole in the template, but you can just measure your AB15's diameter at the junction between the two halves.

I also had a right-angle plate made for the dash radio mount. You can see it in the pictures. I think it looks pretty good. I forget the exact dimensions but I think it is 14x7, and creased at 90 degrees in the middle to make two 7-inch squares. Again, I gave the machinist a template with drill holes marked. $20.00 took care of the whole thing!

Hope that helps.