• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Abandoned M135

hippiedude

Welcome ......... Man that would be a nice score if can get it ....... What part of the state are you in ............... Check the data plates on the right side dash for all the info on the truck ..... If you can`t read the serial # it is stamped on the right side front frame just behind the front shacke you may need it ................Good luck ....... Tim

Andrew Y

Welcome ......... Man that would be a nice score if can get it ....... What part of the state are you in ............... Check the data plates on the right side dash for all the info on the truck ..... If you can`t read the serial # it is stamped on the right side front frame just behind the front shacke you may need it ................Good luck ....... Tim
Im actually right next door in Canton. I go to school up by the Cape, and found this while doing some exploring up here in MA.

Find who ran the facility, what department of the state, etc., and find the office that takes care of their motor pool. Talk to the person in charge, explain what you'd like to do, perhaps it may be a matter of "you can have it if you want it". If so, GET THAT IN WRITING from someone of authority. However, it may be an issue of the department saying that all surplus vehicles get auctioned off, then you have to WAIT for them to get off their duff and list it for sale.

Hope things go more smoothly for you....
I dug alitle deeper this morning, and found some stuff out. I found an article stating the land was in the hands of a certain dept. I left a brief message with the executive officer, hopefully I hear back. Ill keep everyone posted when/if I hear back.

Most likely the GSA wrote it off or does not know it exists any more. Many items before computers were updated by the GSA in 1989 are not on their records any more.

pwrwagonfire

If its in mass, the property probably belongs to mass development? I think thats the name, I may have a lightbulb moment later.

I would probably say they wouldn't just give it to you. I work for the state, all the excess state property (this ISN'T including forest service FEPP) gets trucked to Westborough to the old state hospital. There is a facility there which holds auctions, which are advertised in the Boston globe. Sometimes stuff sits there for a few months before it gets auctioned; I know, I've brought vehicles there a few times!
Plus side is, mostly scrappers bidding...on a vehicle with a poor description.

The reason it's there is the state department in charge dosent have the means to move it themselves, and it isn't high up on their list of priorities. I would GUESS, that it ISN'T FEPP (forest service) property or through GSA, a lot of vehicles AGES and AGES ago were obtained through C.D. funds. There are many, many different ways to get these from the government, one of which is the now defunct north star. Several local DPWs have northstar vehicles...despite it being a "law enforcement" program.

Good luck, to be honest good luck trying to get anybody at the office/management level to CARE!

But keep us updated man!

You have to love bureaucracy. It exists , but it does not, but we don't care, but who does, we don't know. that is the attitude of some in our government. If they don't have a form for it, then they kick you some where else. Somewhat why one of my one ton trucks still has a screwed up GVW that I have tried to correct for seven years. They have kicked me all over Penndot just to get the corrected copy back with the same GVW that needed to be corrected...

Andrew Y

The label on the door says "Commonwealth of Massachusetts", very faded. I found out what state department manages the land, and left a voicemail with the Chief Operations Officer this morning (he didnt answer or wasnt there at the time). Guess all I can do is wait or execute....plan b.

Last edited:

Parker2

I like overlordofmars's way. I tried to save a m35a2w/w from rotting away at a government airport. The bureaucracy prefered to let it sit there and continue to rot away.

waayfast

I got a tip from a city worker in a local town about 2 M105 trailers they had parked out in the boonies,been there for years not been used at all. I called the city office about buying those and got the blank stare/deer in headlites sound of silence over the phone.Gal said she would check with the higher- ups and call me right back.Its been about 9 months--------------:roll:.

wiggall

I got a tip from a city worker in a local town about 2 M105 trailers they had parked out in the boonies,been there for years not been used at all. I called the city office about buying those and got the blank stare/deer in headlites sound of silence over the phone.Gal said she would check with the higher- ups and call me right back.Its been about 9 months--------------:roll:.
After a week I would have been back on the phone, and would have asked to speak to the next higher up!

Andrew Y

Went back to the site today to investigate alittle more. Popped the hood and took some more pics, got a few interiors and a couple of the genset on the bed. Someone stole the radiator and waterpump :? Can anyone shed some light on if anything else is missing?

Attachments

Last edited:

spicergear

Huh, an M220 'shop van.' That's interesting. The tires look like Goodyear Custom Xtra Grips. I had a set of six of those on an M34 and they worked really well. I would definitely continue to pursue that machine!

porkysplace

Steel Soldiers Supporter
With the shroud in the cab the state might of pulled the radiator to get to the water pump
and decided it wasn't worth fixing to them.

Andrew Y

Actually, I may have solved the waterpump problem, Id like someone to confirm this if possible. Is this engine in the attachment the same GMC 302 by any chance? Thats me the first day checking the site out, just poking around one of the buildings, came across this straight 6 before we even found the truck. Compressor certainly looks similar. Didnt put 2 and 2 together until I saw the compressor pulley looked really similar.

This guys thread has good pics to compare: http://www.steelsoldiers.com/early-deuce/59598-m211-water-pump.html

Attachments

Last edited:

maddawg308

Steel Soldiers Supporter
The pintle is missing, but that might have been removed a long time ago. I'm surprised the two batteries aren't gone, what with the price of scrap these days, I assume they took the radiator to scrap as well. It's obvious that you'll need to invest in new glass too. :)

The radiator most likely sprung a leak and they pulled it to repair it. and that was that. It was never run again. For a short run use any radiator ad two long flex hoses.