• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

aberdeen

Adamlee

convoy

h1crwchf said:
Looks like three or four Virginians here, does that constitute a convoy? I am up for it!

Dave

I am going to try, especially since I have missed it for at least 3 years in a row (which coincides with when i divorced and changed careers and was forced to sell my house and divide my time with my kids to every other week)

Ideally I will have my deuce set up in a desert tan scheme with a few added new features (slave cable adapter, maybe an S250 or bigger S280 commo box for a camper shell)...

we'll see! FYI those APG color pics from the 40's and 50's were scans I did from a book I have somewhere which at the moment I can't find....

Adamlee

aberdeen MV rally this May

Hey, besides the Haspin rally thread, we should get one going to see who's making it to Aberdeen this May. Looks like we have several Virginians making it, who else? And with what?

I may bring an M101 with an S250 in it, so I can leave the 12' bed on the deuce open for scavenging... :wink:

it would be cool if the APG guys still had the live-fire display that ended in the early 90's. That was the most awesome thing....the combined firepower display. Anybody else get treated to that? That show was something else. The Army also let us do trail rides on the tank trails back then....oh well, the days before the Clinton-era cutbacks.

Somewhere I will dig up my photos of the live fire range, I will have to scan them in.

73m819

Rock = older than dirt , GA. MAFIA , Dirty
Steel Soldiers Supporter
In Memorial
theres about 6 or 8 mvers in the alanta area, if we could get together and have a ga. convoy that joins the other convoys further north(if i get tires by then, ill be there)

Adamlee

aberdeen convoy

Yeah, it seems whenever I go to a parade or aberdeen I'm either solo or with just one buddy due to last-minute kids & family bidness.

I hope to be able to sign up and register on the convoy website this year, we'll see. One of the variables is that the guys who go as vendors go early, and my deuce may be tapped as a cargo carrier for a vendor, so I won't know for awhile.

73M819, no tires to be found where you are? or is it a cash flow issue? if you hook up with a vendor in advance, who goes to the APG MV event, you can pick up stuff on site to take home. of course, maybe you got NO tires/bald tires, and it's a matter of being roadworthy, which is another story.... 8)

73m819

Steel Soldiers Supporter
In Memorial
the 819 calls for 1200x20s, a very hard tire to find as it is no longer used by the military, my rears are wreather checked real bad, if i put 1400s on i need to install the spacers and the long lug bolts, and then ill be over writh (9'6") i can find 1200s in road tread but not a agressive traction tread. i can get some 1200s from wade tire in texes but the cost will be about 300+ a tire+s/h thats a little steep (aprox. 4000 for 12 tires, (2 spairs))this plus tubes , flaps, and mounting

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Hey Ron, have you ever looked at the M816 wreckers that come up at Camp Blanding near JAX? They are usually really picked over. Might get lucky and find a parts truck with decent tires for not too much money.

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Really? Wayne Harris 816 had the 12.00 so I assumed they all did. Silly me. Just for kicks, try finding a place called St Lucie Tire and Battery. They're here in FL and have bought quantities of surplus tires for years. Might be worth the dime to see what they got.

73m819

Steel Soldiers Supporter
In Memorial
kenny,
in nam we put 1400s on our wreckers because we kept tearing up the 1100s, i would do that to except the overwrith prob.,and only god knows what the spacers ,long lug bolts, and the 12" rims cost, i mite get away with the overwrith.

my highway speed is right at 60 mph with 1200s and about 6 mpg, if i go with 1100s, it will be down to about 50 mph and the mpg will be down( 5 on the highway would not be to bad, but about 3 around town would not be to good.

i dont like singles, theres something about big duels that just make the truck look more massive, heavy duty, ect. and i think thay just look better.

its funny, i couldnt figure out why the 816 calls for 1100s when it only weighs 15lbs less then the the 819, at first i thought it was a typo. it mite be because not only the vehicle weight of 35065lb. but of the 37500lb. semi trailer weight, part of which is weight on the fifth wheel.

BFR

Rocket Surgeon
73m819 said:
if i put 1400s on i need to install the spacers and the long lug bolts, and then ill be over writh (9'6")
Your neighbors would learn to put their mailboxes a little further from the curb after 1 or 2 "remounts" :twisted:

73m819

Steel Soldiers Supporter
In Memorial
its not the mailboxs that worries me, its the local pd that had a bad day (stale donnuts, cold coffee, that found his wife in bed with his gril friend, ect) that sets his target on my overwrith BIG NON MILITARY military truck that worries me.

pa.rich

I am planning on going with wife , this will be the first one. The trucks wont be going. they will be in project mode.Hope to meet many of you guys since I am new here. Goig to bowling greene after that fo the Historical construction Equipment Association Display, exibits and show that I belong to.

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Still wishing I could go. Maybe I can fly into BWI and borrow a HEMTT from Bruce Kubu? Then again I might have to settle for the M932 tractor. Hmm!

emmado22

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I'll be in spots Yellow M/L 16-19 right on the end by the vehicle display area... Look for the tan M998 with matching M1102 trailer

CGarbee

I'm in the same spaces that I had last year with the rest of the NCMVPA guys... Not sure what numbers I have so I'll post them when I get home and can check the actual location.
We are close to having the convoy website up with this year's info...
For those comming up from GA, you can hook up with the guys in western NC midday on Wednesday, May 10 near Charlotte, or you can hook up with us in Doswell, VA Wednesday night or Thursday morning. The convoy will be arriving at the rally mid-afternoon on Thursday, May 11.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks