• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

About to pick up my MEP 003A

helomedic1171

I just won an auction for one at Warner Robins a few days ago and paid for it today. I think I did OK on the price (under $400). downside is it's missing some things: all the gauges except the Hobbs meter, the air cleaner housing and hoses, the starter, fuel tank, (I think the lines, but I can get/make those easily) and of course, batteries. The question I'm having is, should I pursue the parts for this thing? or should I part it out/sell it as is?

I'm looking for an MEP to use as a backup generator for my house. I'm not opposed to selling it, as I only have the purchase price in it right now and haven't even picked it up yet. I'll try to post some screen capture pics from the GL auction.

Any thoughts/Ideas welcome, I just want to do what's smart/feasible. I'm good with my hands and can fix most anything, and I have worked on the TQGs the Army has nowadays, so this can't be too bad to learn. I just don't want to dump a crapload of funds into something if I could do better going another route. Thanks in advance!

Last edited:

steelandcanvas

When you get it, turn it over by hand, to assure it isn't froze up. It doesn't sound like you'd have difficult time re-assembling it, and you'd like to use it for home standby, I'd go ahead make it work. Even after buying the parts you need, I still don't think you'd spend more than what they are going for. Just my 2cents Others will chime in with more opinions. Good Luck!

Last edited:

Isaac-1

If the engine and generator end is good you can gut the control box and replace it with a modern generic controller and voltage regulator (if they are missing). The real question is did they pick this one to part out for a reason (dead engine, etc.) Using cheap import controller, gauges, etc. I suspect you can replace the obvious missing functionality for $300-500.

Ike

helomedic1171

thanks for the feedback. I'm not sure - I didn't catch the missing starter until AFTER I'd won and paid for the genset. the missing tank I can work around, and I figured I could pretty easily make some sort of air cleaner housing work. the start I found for $75 online, and I know surplus center has "field hospital control panels" which have 60hz and 400hz parts on the same panel, all for $60. assuming the control box isn't ****e, I can probably make it work with those.

for the fuel tank, I was thinking about trying to score a Semi-truck tank from a local yard. I've seen a few other guys do it in various threads, so it can't be impossible, right?

Isaac-1

I am thinking part out after seeing it, that is a lot of stuff to replace, a fair amount that would be needed just to see if it runs. It also looks like most of the low hanging fruit is gone, with luck the AVR, fuel pumps and the injection pump will still be there and good. Those alone should get your money back out of the deal.

Ike

helomedic1171

epitts, that's the exact panel I mentioned above. I can get the correct volt meter (which doesn't appear to be on that panel) and I think that combined with the parts on that panel, I can rebuild the control box to working order. I downloaded the 24P manual, and I'll be staring at the wiring diagrams anyway to make sure it's correct. any suggestions on what size tank I should try for? what about a suitable air cleaner assembly I can graft/modify onto the genset?

helomedic1171

I think that will be the deciding factor, along with the motor's condition. if it turns over by hand, and the fuel system parts are there, I'll go forward with piecing it back together. if not, I'll part it out if either of the two are true.

side note - I can get just about all of these parts from gennies on post, but it would involve jail time if caught, and I'm just not cool with a new wife who has a deeper voice than I do, ya know?

derf

You will probably find something major wrong with it, either bad gen head or bad motor.

Also, be more careful posting screen shots. I can see an email address and bookmarks for two credit card companies. I don't think anyone on SS would use that against you but stuff posted on the www is available to all sorts of people and search engines.

helomedic1171

thanks for the heads up, I fixed them just in case. those were just bookmarks, but all the same, it's edited now. I'll watch that closer next time. As for the IP and VR, do you mean they're some of the first things removed, or the first things that go bad?

helomedic1171

ouch. and they're not easily seen in those shots I posted, so there's no way to really know until I get the unit, correct? this is not looking good. assuming the worst, I may be lucky to break even, If I'm understanding you guys right, and If I decide to keep it, I may be dumping quite a bit into it, sounds like.

derf

Just being realistic. Worst case is locked up motor and burned up stator windings. In that case you can probably part it out and if lucky break even. But, chances are slim that both ends are bad. They quit using them if the motor is bad or if the gen head is bad. So, it would be very rare indeed to find one with both bad motor and bad gen head. This is the military, though, and stranger things have happened.

Patience is the key. If you have somewhere to store it and can wait then you can find another one and possibly combine the two. If it turns over by hand then you can probably get the motor running. After that, if the stator windings check out then you can probably get it working.

Bring the correct size socket, ratchet, and extension with you and see if it will turn. If it doesn't turn freely it may still be OK.

I see the starter is gone.

helomedic1171

gotcha. having never worked on these particular models, what size socket would I need? I'm assuming it has a crank pulley with a bolt I would attach my socket wrench to in order to turn it over.

LuckyDog

gotcha. having never worked on these particular models, what size socket would I need? I'm assuming it has a crank pulley with a bolt I would attach my socket wrench to in order to turn it over.
5/8" with an extension. Probably want to use 1/2" drive and breaker bar.

I think the blower wheel nut can be reached through the end.
Correct. There might be a plastic plug in the center of the blower grill on front of the engine.

just thought of something... do the newer MEP 803 TQGs have any interchangeable parts with these sets?
Not that I know of.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks