• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

ABS Brakes on a Bobbed M939 series truck

KaiserM109

I am considering bobbing my M923A1, so I crawled under it to see what I was going to have to unhook, remove, etc and I spotted the ABS sensor. I am afraid that I can’t just unhook it because the ABS controller will probably think the wheel is locked up and start pulsing the brakes.

I have seen several threads on bobbing a 5 ton, and I believe that all M939 series have probably been upgraded to ABS brakes because of the issue with killing the engine and losing power steering when the driver locks the brakes. Therefore someone out there in SS land must have addressed this problem already. I would like to hear what you think about it, what you know and what you think you know.

Arlyn

Last edited by a moderator:

M35A2-AZ

Steel Soldiers Supporter
On the ABS, unhook the wires from the unit and pull the 15amp fuse from under the dash on the driver side and you will be fine.

73m819

Rock = older than dirt , GA. MAFIA , Dirty
Steel Soldiers Supporter
In Memorial
Why can't you just use the rear axle that has the rotation sensors, just do away with the middle axle.

KaiserM109

On the ABS, unhook the wires from the unit and pull the 15amp fuse from under the dash on the driver side and you will be fine.
Bad idea; that disables the ABS completely and M939 series trucks without ABS have a history stalling the engine when the driver locks up the brakes. Then … there is no power steering.

Why can't you just use the rear axle that has the rotation sensors, just do away with the middle axle.
Great idea, thanks. I was assuming that all 6 wheels had ABS, but I looked when I went up to the yard today and only the front and the back have ABS.

Another problem: The chamber, sorry I don’t know all the names, on the wheel where the piston is has a leak. I know about the monster spring inside, so I’m not going to do anything I’m not sure of. But, all my brakes are caged, probably because my truck was towed onto the auction lot. I have Googled the issue and talked to mechanics and I am about to uncage them. Question: if I leave this one caged, can I open it up and if I do, is there anything I can do to fix the leak?

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks