• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Abs light on, new to me M925a2

101coolcars

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I recently won a m925a2 and I'm figuring out the recovery, I noticed in one of the pictures from gp the abs light looks to be on, do you think this is an indication of a fault? Or normal during startup? What would the consensus be in terms of a driving recovery with a active abs light in?

thanks in advance
terry

sandcobra164

When the ABS light stays on, that indicates a fault with the ABS system. The brakes should still work fine but will not have protection from locking up. I've driven a few with that light on and never had any trouble. The Military installed ABS on these trucks to solve a peculiar problem. Driver's would attempt to panic brake and lock up the drivetrain. Once this happened, the torque converter wouldn't unlock in time to prevent stalling the engine. Once stalled, the power steering system is not in play and the M939 series suffered quite a few rollovers. If you drive with caution as you should anytime you operate one of these, you should be fine.

Swamp Donkey

The Engineer
Steel Soldiers Supporter
To quote you from another thread...

yes i did buy one, a m925a2 out of kansas last wenesday. now i have to figure out the recovery. they say its a runner with a jump.
The ABS system is very voltage sensitive, to include low voltage, and will throw the light if not between the limits. Voltage is obviously low if they have to jump it off. I'd start with getting the batteries back in shape before moving forward with troubleshooting. Congrats on the truck!

74M35A2

No. Check the 2 in-line blade fuses at the steering column in the cab. If the large one is blown, and blows again as soon as you flip the battery switch on, then the ABS module is fried, likely from an over-voltage occurrence if the truck switches are shut down in the opposite order of what they are supposed to be.

The HUlk

When the ABS light stays on, that indicates a fault with the ABS system. The brakes should still work fine but will not have protection from locking up. I've driven a few with that light on and never had any trouble. The Military installed ABS on these trucks to solve a peculiar problem. Driver's would attempt to panic brake and lock up the drivetrain. Once this happened, the torque converter wouldn't unlock in time to prevent stalling the engine. Once stalled, the power steering system is not in play and the M939 series suffered quite a few rollovers. If you drive with caution as you should anytime you operate one of these, you should be fine.
Can't verify accuracy but I read the military put a low speed limit (41mph?) on the early M939s until they were upgraded with the ABS system. Bear in mind over braking is not something you want to do especially with no load meaning less traction.

lindsey97

Take 2 new batteries with you to Ft. Riley. 9/16" wrench, 1/2" wrench, pair of channellocks, gloves, and a can of ether. Use ether sparingly.

Couple of cans of diesel won't hurt either as the truck may well be empty. Also, an air hose with tire chuck, and glad hand on one end. Some shell rotella motor oil, and a couple gallons on antifreeze to top her off.

101coolcars

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Thanks, I've got a pretty big recovery list going. My "plan" is to drive my M1009 to Kansas and bring my new medium towbar I just got from m35cat here on the classifieds and drive the 5 ton towing the cucv behind. No current spare for the 5 ton is my current issue.

Last edited:
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks