• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Abusing the Equipment

tjcouch

LOL I was looking at the first two pictures wondering "Gosh, he must have put something REALLY heavy on the back!"

I find that the best military item for stump removal is TNT.

Kidding.

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
IIRC the TNT route is prohibited here. Something about neighboring windows. I tried burning on it all night new years eve but made little progress. Perhaps the neightbors stump grinder will have better success.I've only just begun.

ARMYMAN30YearsPlus

In Memorial
In Memorial
Kenny:
That is why when I take down a tree I leave a ten foot stump and hook onto the top of it. I have had my Cherokee chief in mid air between the back two tree brace and the stump but they come over quite nicely leaving a root ball exposed and a big hole

Elwenil

How about the front winch? Might be easier to pull from the side rather than straight up. I assume you would have to break off the center root (depending on the tree) and that might be hard to pull it apart upwards. Might be hard on the sheer pin though. Only experience I have with stump removal has been with a chainsaw, beer, chain and the biggest truck we had handy, lol...

rdixiemiller

Pine trees have a tap root like a carrot. They are surprisingly hard to get loose. Unless the ground is really saturated, pines generally break off in Ga. storms rather than come out of the ground.

peyton

rdixiemiller said:
Pine trees have a tap root like a carrot. They are surprisingly hard to get loose. Unless the ground is really saturated, pines generally break off in Ga. storms rather than come out of the ground.
True. Debris after Katrina: pines broken off at 10-15 feet, oaks uprooted.

Peyton

DDoyle

Supporting Vendor
Five ton likely won't help. A few years ago I wanted to extract a stump from the yard - pretty good size stump. Hooked dad's M328 (bridge truck) and one of my M35A2 to it in tandem - even jerking brought no movement of the stump. It was interesting to see the massive bridge truck hop up and down as the tires loose traction trying to move the stump though.

However, the stump was no match of an excavator!

Regards,
David

Hoosier

Stump grinder? Excavator? There must be a harder way to do this. We just have to figure out what it is. Perhaps we should reconnotier with a beer or two. If that doesn't produce results, a beer or two more. We'll eventually figure out a truly difficult way to remove it or get severely injured trying! I propose dynamite with a rigged up muffler so the neighbors don't complain. OR...if you don't mind a hump in the yard, just bury it.

rmgill

Stump remover is the thing. Drills some holes, pour it down into the stump let it sit for a week or two. Add some fuel and burn it out or let it rot out.

JDToumanian

I tried burning on it all night new years eve but made little progress.
Did you use 'Stump Burning Compound'? It's just a box of saltpeter (potassium nitrate). Use a long drill bit (I use a 1x12 inch) to drill as deeply as possible into the stump, fill the holes with saltpeter (will need more than one box for big stumps), water the stump and wait a week. THEN light 'er up! You may need to build a small campfire on the stump to get it going good. The saltpeter will have traveled throughout the stump and roots. It's a slow burn (glowing coals) and may take all day/night. I think saltpeter needs no outside oxygen to burn, because it will burn the stump underground all the way out to the root tips leaving nothing but crumbly charcoal!

You can get the stuff at a good hardware store or ag supply place. It's sometimes labelled 'Stump Destroyer'. Unless you have free access to the stump grinder, this will be the cheapest / least labor intensive method.

Jon

wreckerman893

Possum Connoisseur
SALTPETER!!!!! :shock:
You mean there is another use for it. I thought it was a "flavor enhancer". :?:
My old lady has been puttiing it in my food for years.
I can't say it makes the food taste any better but I don't visit my girlfriend as much I used to. :cry:

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
That was just for fun. I had assumed ther stump wouldn't budge. Last week I drilled a bunch of 1" holes about 6" deep in the stump. Cleaned out all the chips and filled the holes with used motor oil. Added the shavings back and let it cook. New Years Eve I lit it up and had a bonfire for about 8 or 10 hours. Didn't do much to the stump but probably dried it out some. I'll be adding the stump destroyer next and setting up another burn. I'd much rather burn it out than anything else and I'll keepo trying. As far as pulling it out, I've hooked deuces, winches, straps and everything else 18' up the tree and you won't budge these pines. Remember my redneck engine picker upper? The ground would have to be very saturated to even have a chance. BTW, when I had my lot cleared for the house, the D7 knocked them over like weeds.