• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

AC-130U Gunship up close

gunner01

RE: c130 photo op

Its fake .. the pilot needs the air for both large intakes as well as needing it to draft properly across the wings. wind shear would be to great at that close range. and AF would definately pull his wings. some great photography though and lots of time spent fitting this together.

jimk

In Memorial
In Memorial

The pictures are real, taken during the filming of a RAF promotional ad.

the video(dead link)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nuisT_is4NA

Did some looking, here is a similar U-tube with F-18's
www.youtube.com/watch?v=4yLmyriJorM

Some chatter on the Typhoon shoot.
www.pprune.org/military-aircrew/313448-help-photos-typhoon-c130-ramp.html

plane specs
http://www.fighter-planes.com/info/eurofighter_ef2000.htm

how it flies
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Supermaneuverability

The Typhoon's minimum speed is 203km/hr(126mph/109kts). The C-130's wing and tail turbulance is high which is why the plane comes in low. Prop wash is high and to the side(s). Fighter control is aided by computer,canards, leading edge slats... Fighter pilots are cocky. Stunts may be [more] common when a camera is nearby...JimK

Last edited:

73m819

Rock = older than dirt , GA. MAFIA , Dirty
Steel Soldiers Supporter
In Memorial

when i was in viet nam , our convoy got stopped twice at night, , we were taking fire on about a 270 dig. face. both times a ac47 came in. it came just off our position on one side firing as they came in, do the 270 swing and leave off our other side. NO more incoming fire, from about getting your clock cleaned to dead silences (other then some HURT sounds out in the darkness) is about 30 seconds, you cant imagine the site of all those tracers at night. one pass would do the trick though the ac-47 stayed on station till we got rolling and got up the road about 20 miles

kc8sfq

How much closer do you want me?

In the AF formation work, the closest formation was called "fingertip" That's what the Thunderbirds fly in their "4 ship" The Tech Order defines fingertip as 0 to 50 feet. It always seemed to me that it should be just a little bit bigger than "0" The one in the series above appears to be a LITTLE bit bigger than "0"

m715mike

I seem to remember "Puff The Magic Dragon"...
when i was in viet nam , our convoy got stopped twice at night, , we were taking fire on about a 270 dig. face. both times a ac47 came in. it came just off our position on one side firing as they came in, do the 270 swing and leave off our other side. NO more incoming fire, from about getting your clock cleaned to dead silences (other then some HURT sounds out in the darkness) is about 30 seconds, you cant imagine the site of all those tracers at night. one pass would do the trick though the ac-47 stayed on station till we got rolling and got up the road about 20 miles

My father-in-law clearly remembered Puff The Magic Dragon! He was responsible for a battery of M155 guns in Vietnam, and on multiple occasions had to call-in "Puff" for air support. He said Puff could clear a grid square!

My father-in-law is a pretty interesting guy. Each time we get together, I hear new stories. He told me about Puff The Magic Dragon over the holidays. This was the first I had ever heard of it! I look forward to my father-in-law's stories. I never know what will be next!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uKOrpyO0z48

Puff.jpg

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks