• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

AC install in M939, Question

M35A2-AZ

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I am trying to install a Red Dot AC in my M936 and put the condenser in front of the radiator with out the elec. fans.
But I can not figure out how to get the truck to turn on the motor fan and the AC to be able to turn the motor fan on when it needs it.
Any input would be welcomed. Thanks!

74M35A2

You need to apply air pressure to the fan clutch to get it to engage. Modern over-the-road trucks use this same system, but opposite, as they apply air to stop the fan (more fail-safe). You need to add a 24VDC air solenoid valve to do so, and "T" it in after the mechanical valve on the upper radiator hose, as the fan actuator solenoid is purely mechanical. Then, activate that solenoid via one of 3 methods:

1. Manual switch on dash. Likely to be forgotten to be turned on or off.
2. Automated via tied into the AC compressor clutch power feed (compressor on=fan on). Not most efficient, but better than #1.
3. Automated via a pressure switch on the AC high side pressure line. Then, fan only runs when it really needs to. Research set-points of switch to buy. Better than #2.

You could go really simplistic and use an air valve to feed the clutch air pressure, but I'd say that is a hillbilly version of #1. Could also bolt the fan clutch together (emergency mode), but running it all the time is a huge power and mileage drain on the engine, as that fan pulls a lot of air.

This is all assuming an A2, not sure which you are speaking of (A0?) Not sure how A0's and A1's run their fans. I have an A2.

M35A2-AZ

Steel Soldiers Supporter
The A0, A1, A2's fan clutch all work the same way.
The problem with teeing in after the mechanical valve on the truck is that it has little vent on the back of it so when
it turns off it vents the air psi from the clutch and the clutch turns off.
So when you turn the solenoid on it will vent out the vent hole in the mechanical valve. But it may not be a problem.

Thanks for the input!!!

74M35A2

Understood. Then you could do by adding 2 solenoids (one to block off the line coming out of the thermal valve), and a second T'd in after that, closer to the fan. Or, use a 3 way valve would be even easier. Either should work yet retain the original function of the bleed hole on the thermal valve.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks